All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ystesund families
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

squicker
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2005 :  20:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello - Looking for information on Ystesund name in Norway and Minnesota. My father was adopted by Knute Ystesund and his wife Maria. Knute's father was Aslak Ystesund and his mother was Dagne Olson Ystesund. Knute had at least two brothers and three sisters.

kaare n
Medium member

Norway
114 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2005 :  16:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found just one farm in census 1865 so maybe this is the district.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=gardsnavn&pgj=170&teljing=ft1865&filnamn=f60831.wc2&amt=8&funnenr=92

http://www.visitfyresdal.no/index.php?show=20&expand=20
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2005 :  20:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Knud Aslaksen Ystesund (21), from Fyrrisdal emigrated from Christiania to New York on June 30th, 1902. click here

Together with him on the journey are father Aslak Olsen Ystesund (65), mother Dagny Ystesund (60), and brother(?) Ole A. Ystesund (12,5). They are going to Minnesota.

The family are from Fyresdal in Telemark county.

Here is Knudt in census-1900.

Here is Aslak, Dagny and son Olaf in the same census. Olaf must the the same as Ole in the emigration list.

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2005 :  21:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I searched indexes of the US censuses and only three 'Ystesund' families appear in 1920. Heads of household are Knut, Ole, and Targe. All three reside in Minnesota.
Knut Ystesund (Pennington Co., Minnesota) is 39 yrs old, married to Marie/Maria and lists that he/they immigrated in 1902.
Ole Ystesund (Red Lake Co., Minnesota) is 30 yrs old and Targe Ystesund (Houston Co., Minnesota) is 83 yrs old.

I am amazed that Kaare and Jan Peter were able to find the correct area in Norway without any time period or date references in the original query.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2005 :  05:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks to be Aslak & Dagny in the 1865-census: click here

Brattekaas farm, Moland Parish, Telemark:
  • Ole Larsen (63), widower, born in Seljord parish, Telemark. Must be Aslaks father.
  • Aslak Olsen (28), born in Moland, Telemark
  • Dagne Knudtsdatter (22), born in Mo, Telemark
  • Ole Aslaksen (2), born in Moland, Telemark
Aslak Olsen & Dagne Knudsdr
Marriage: 07 DEC 1862 Fyresdal, Telemark, Norway
link

Moland is the municipal centre of Fyresdal muncipality.
Mo is in Tokke muncipality.

Children to Aslak & Dagny:
  • Olaf/Ole b. ca 1864
  • Knut b. ca 1881
  • Olaf/Ole b. ca 1889
Christening records:
Olaf Aslaksen
Birth: 12 May 1863
Christening: 25 May 1863, Fyrisdal, Telemark, Norway link

Sigrid Aslaksdatter
Birth: 04 Aug 1866
Christening: 30 Sep 1866, Fyrisdal, Telemark, Norway link

Margit Aslaksdatter
Birth: 20 Mar 1870
Christening: 26 May 1870, Fyrisdal, Telemark, Norway link

Two possibilities of Margit in census-1900:
Margit Aslaksdatter b.1869 This Margit have a daughter named Dagne!

Margit Aslaksdatter Gryte b. 1870

This could be Sigrid: click here

Osmund & Margit Kjili looks to be Halvors parents, so a possible clue could be to look for marriage records of one "Halvor Osmundsen" & "Sigrid Aslaksdatter".
Marriage about 1897 in Fyresdal, Telemark...?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 19/11/2005 14:11:48
Go to Top of Page

PH
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  14:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello, We have purchased a Norwegian Mountain Farm (Norsk Fjell Gard) called "Ystesund". It is from around 1730. We think the name means the "Cheese farm in the narrow valley" If anyone has more pics and info please contact us. Have a look on www.conservationcrafts.com for modern info and photos which is being updated for 2008 season.
Go to Top of Page

K屧rto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  21:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
todays yste means correctly to "yste" butter or cheese:
The name Ystesund means Yttersund, the outher sound "det ytterste sund" at one of the great lakes in Telemark which tell you about the location of the farm.

K緳e

Edited by - K屧rto on 02/10/2007 22:00:14
Go to Top of Page

PH
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  00:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have looked in the Nynorsk Ordbok we have and the word "Sund" does means Sound/Strait so assume that the name does mean the cheese farm beside the narrow lake. The lake in front is called Midsund and was used for hundreds of years as a dam for moving trees down in Spring to the local Sagbruk (Sawmill) at Veum. The lake that joins this one is called Sundsvatn.

The name Ystesund is rare in Norway and we have found only this farm with that name. There also seems to be nobody called that surname in Norge.

Interested in the USA/Canada side of the history and pics if possible.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  00:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sund means "narrow water" in this context. I assume "straits" would be a proper translation...?

You are right that Yste can be translated into "making cheese" (it's a verb), but in this context yste should be translated into "The utmost".

So Ystesund would be "The utmost straits" in english...

Very nice that you mentioned "Midsund"..., which can be directly translated into "The middle straits". There is farm by that name next to Ystesund. Maybe there was a farm called "The inner straits" there as well earlier...?
The lake is called Sundsvatn. But I guess you know all this..., I see that you are the current owner of Ystesund...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/11/2007 01:02:35
Go to Top of Page

PH
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  12:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei, Thanks for all the help and info! There ia an old remains of Midsund which now belongs to the next place. I can see why it is called a name after the lake area.

The modern name we were told means cheese farm in narrow valley although the valley is open so its interesting to see how the language has altered over time and local understanding.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  12:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
"Cheese farm in narrow valley" would be totally wrong in this context!

First of all; I'm 100% sure that the people who lived there earlier never thought of the farmname as something to do with cheese...! They might of course have produced cheese there, but so did most of the farms in those days, for own supply.

Yste would be a local dialect variant of the word Ytre, ie. "outer".

And secondly, how can someone translate the second syllable sund into "narrow valley"?

A "sund" is "narrow water", either at the sea close to the mainland, or in connection with a fjord/inlet or a lake, where the water narrow down.
The word sund is never used in connection with a valley.

So I'm quite confident Ystesund should be translated into "The utmost straits" or "The outer strait"...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/11/2007 12:48:55
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  13:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I try to contribute to the translation of Ystesund and Midsund - since the lake is Sunds-vatn would it not be logical that Mid-sund is the farm at the midle of the lake and Yste-Sund is the farm at the outer - or most likely - the east end of the lake?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  13:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yste could refer to east, especially since the farm is east of the Middle farm Midtsund, but I'm not confident that the prefix refer to the cardinal direction in this context...

By looking at the "O. Rygh: Norske Gaardnavne", all the farmnames there which starts with Yste*, are explained as "the outer" farm, regardless if the location of the farm is east, west, south or north of the neighboring farm.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

PH
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  15:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei again, Thanks for the help with names and history. The lake used to only go as far as Midsund where there was a dam wall across to Donstad. The water then went into a narrow valley river. See the map. Yes Ystesund is on the North east side of Sundsvatn.

Sundsvatn was extended as some time downstream to make the lake in front of Ystesund. This created the Flotningsdam. "Timber Floating Dam" which we think was used until the 1960's

Looking for info on the dam and history with pics if possible.
Go to Top of Page

PH
Starting member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  15:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to contact Knut, Ole, Targe Ystesund for my history on the name and this mountain farm (Fjell Gard)?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  15:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PH

Is it possible to contact Knut, Ole, Targe Ystesund for my history on the name and this mountain farm (Fjell Gard)?
I doubt strongly that you are able to contact them by "normal means".., they would be quite old today!

Targe Ystesund was born ca. 1837, and would be 170 years today!
His sons(?) Knut Ystesund was born 1881, Ole Ystesund was born 1890.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/11/2007 15:44:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article