All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 John R Kloster b. Feb 1860 Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  03:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link to the scanned church record does not work.

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.

At the end of the record that writer has put in "husmannsfolk paa Kloster." He had a habit on those pages of making notes like that.

The family is included in the bygdebøker for Rennesøy, the third volume of that series in the pages for Utstein Kloster. Neither of the parents was originally from Rennesøy and most of their children later appear to have moved to Stavanger.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  06:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The birth record for Reinert Johan is #87
he was born Febr 9 1859 and baptized Febr 27.
The marriage record for his parents is #111
the date was Dec 9 1858 and Lars was 21 years old, his father was Roland Rolandsen and he came from Rennesøe. Anne Marthe was 24 years old and her father was Ole Olsen Høye.
Lars was born Dec 14 1836 and baptized Dec 18 in Kloster church, see #673. His parents Roland Rolandsen and Inger Johnsdatter were "huusmandsfolk" (cotters people) at Kloster.
In 1801 Anne Marthes father Ole was 1 year old. Anne Martha was baptized Dec 1 1833, her mother was Karen Tobiasdatter, see
#4 (next to the last record)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/07/2008 07:38:07
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  15:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kajus Johan J. was born Dec 7 1861 and baptized Kajus Johan Julius on Dec 25, see #57
Johan Olaus was born Oct 2 1864, see #65
Inger Karine was born April 14 1863, see #20

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 29/07/2008 15:51:20
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  18:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
omg this is so great thanks eibache
Hopkins thanks for that as I am not good norwegian and i didn't know that direct linking didnt work

can someone please translate this for me as I was sent this from national archives in stavanger norway as it is part of what was sent when i inquired for the family it is from Ætterbok for Granvin” Churchrecord from Vang.

Jon Olavson Bjotveit 130 f, K. 1767—1833
G. 1797 m. Ingebjørg Sjursdtr. Måkastad 234 g, Ull. 1777-1853.
Jon kjØpte i 1797 garden til Kristoffer Person, som flytte til
JØrdre, låner med same av seijaren 300 rd. Kjøpte i 1803 Kjer-
landsh’agen av Elling Olavson, og sel same i 1831 til sonen
Olav for 100 spd. Ved skifte etter Jon fekk enkja m. a. utlagt
halvparten av ei «stampemylne», verdsett 3 spd. — Jon var
flink med hendene sine, han laga seg plog og ei potetrasp
som han fekk påskyning for. Dertil hadde han poetisk givnad
og skreiv ei visa på 28 vers om Espebrudlaupet 17. juni 1788
der 6 menneske drukna, og fleire vart skadde. (Sjå «Hardan-
ger» 1917, side 29.)

Edited by - jilliankloster on 29/07/2008 18:31:19
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  20:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon Olavsen Bjotvedt 1767-1833 married in 1797 Ingebjørg Sjursdatter Måkastad 1777-1883.
Jon baught in 1797 Kristoffer Persons farm, he settled down on Jørdre. He (Jon) borrows from the same owner 300 rd. (Riksdaler). In 1803 be baught Kjerlandshagen from Elling Olavsen and sold the same farm in 1833 to his son Olav for 100 sp.(Spesiedaler).
Jon´s probate register shows that the widow inheirt half of a "stampemylne", valued to 3 Spesiedaler. - Jon was a handy man, he made his own plough and a potatoe rasp which he was congratulated for. In addition he had abilities as a phoem and he wrote 26 vers about the wedding in Espe June 17. 1788 where 6 persons drowned and several was wounded. (See Hardanger 1917 page 29)

"Stampe" was a "washing mashine" made of timber placed in a creek drifted as a "mylne" mill for carwing wool into wadmal.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  20:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
takk Kåarto

I have a question how does one once they have family tree info how does one go about trying to locate relatives over in Norway~

just curious about it

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  21:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bjotveit = a farm located in Kinsarvik, Hordaland, Norway.
Måkastad = a farm located in Ullensvang, Hordaland, Norway.
Kjerland = a farm in what was Granvin, Hordaland, Norway.

Jon Olavsen Bjotvedt's paternal grandparents were both from Ringøy farm in Kinsarvik, Hordaland, Norway. It would be likely that you would find links to my own ancestral family in those locations.

Jillian, you must have been given much more about your family than could first be assumed from your questions. Jon Olavsen and Ingebjørg Sjursdatter are the ancestors of one of your family that later resided in Rogaland as discussed in the first page of this line of inquiry.

Have you studied the basics about Norwegian parish records and bygdeboker??
Ancestors From Norway How-To Articles
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  22:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly I wasn't given much info on them except what you guys here have been helping me with which I am truly grateful for

I have started to look at that link you for studying the basics on Norwegian parish records & bygdeboker

I was sent something else in this email it is a record of some kind
this is in KJERLAND page 277
Ingegjerd 1803- ? Gift Kaland, busett Ulstein
Kloster

the other record is here
record
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  23:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said Kjerland = a farm in what was Granvin, Hordaland, Norway.

Granvin, Ullensvang and Kinsarvik are areas along sections of the Hardanger fjord in Hordaland, Norway. They are well covered by resources such as parish records and bygdeboker.
"The ættarboks for Øyfjord, Ulvik, Kinsarvik, Odda, Udlesvang", 5 volumes by A.K. Bu; "Granvin, Ulvik og Eidfjord i gamal og ny tid", 2 volumes by Olav Kolltveit; "Aettarbok for Granvin" by Kvalem, Henrik Meyer.
"Odda, Ullensvang og Kinsarvik i gamal og ny tid", 5 volumes by Olav Kolltveit.
Rennesøy is the island district just to the north of the city of Stavanger in Rogaland. A multi-volume bygdeboker and parish records are also resources available for your use.
"Rennesøy gard og ætt", 3 volumes by Birger Lindanger, Jørg Erik Waula; "Rennesøy gards- og ættesoge", by Vilhelm Sunnanå og Håvard Vetrhus; "Rennesøy prestegjeld, Rennesøy, Mosterøy, Kvitsøy"

I have ancestors from all of those districts. I've "met" relatives still in Norway through my years of research into those areas -- persons with the same hobby and interested in exactly the same ancestors who happen upon each other while engaged in serious research. I've never deliberately sought out living relatives in Norway so cannot help you with that desire.

I've checked and I think it highly probable that Jon Olavsen Bjotvedt is one of the grandsons of 6th great grandparents of mine. My 5th great grandfather being one of his uncles.
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  06:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for this info I am going to try and see what I can find on Jon Olavson

Edited by - jilliankloster on 30/07/2008 12:15:36
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  12:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good information in Follesdal's articles, enjoy the study and return to those articles as often as needed. I still do after all these years. Besides the small "dictionary" list Follesdal includes with his articles another online translation list will be useful to you -
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Which archives sent you all this information? Did they do this work recently?

That's the link I was expecting to see.
Parents of Lars Rolandsen Kloster -- Roland Rolandsson, metal smith (born Nordland farm, Vang, Oppland ) m. Inger Jonsdatter (born Kjerland farm, Granvin, Hordaland) and Jon "Olavsen Bjotvedt" was her father in Granvin. That makes the link and lines up with the information in the bygdeboker by Kolltveit which includes Ytre Bjotveit farm, Kinsarvik.

Several of the bygdeboker/ættarboker for the Hardanger area districts of Ullensvang, Kinsarvik and Granvin that I listed earlier are available on LDS microfilm/microfiche; a very inexpensive way for you and I to get to use those books from the USA. (Use the translating lists and think seriously of buying a good Norwegian-English dictionary.) Most of all, enjoy the research!
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  13:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Hopkins
for this info

I sent an email monday that just passed and I got a reply yesterday @ 6:42 am asking if they could help me and they sent me a reply back I gave them the names and the info the Stavanger archives sent it to me

It had 2 attachments one document was a letter telling me what was included and then told me about lars and Anne and told meto look at the
Rennesøy Gard og ætt band 3 and Ætterbok for Granvin church records of vang that was attached in a pdf file

Rennesøy Gard og ætt band 3 Roland Rolandsson, Nordland,Vang i Valdres f 1803 d 27.6.1890 .smed F: Roland Larsson
9.4.1833 m.Inger Jonsdtr Kjaerland Granvin b1803 d 27.4.1840

the info I have on Jon Olavson Bjotveit is from Ætterbok for Granvin it is 82 in it
I will have to check out LDS I actually have one in my city luckily I will have to get a New Norwegian Dictionary I had one from when I was with my ex husband and his Aunt used to write to us she was from Sørøya
I almost was able to read norwegian and understand with out the dictionary but I haven't read Norwegian in such a long time almost 8 years time

Edited by - jilliankloster on 30/07/2008 13:50:54
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  14:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found roland rolandsen father on the lds site as I went to look up roland on there his

fathers name is Roland Larsson was born 1768 Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway listed as deceased

Roland Rolandsen mother is
Ingebior Johannesdotte born About 1768 Norland Ii, Vang, Oppland, Norway

Roland Larssons his father Lars Rolandson born 1738 Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway his death was 1793

Roland Larsson mother is
Marit Ionsdotte b. 1748 Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway d.1795

Lars Rolandson mother is Marit Nilsdotte born 1715 in Leine III,Vang,Oppland,Norway she died in 1778

Marit's father is Nils Helgesson 1669 Remme,Vang,Oppland,Norway died 1727

Marits's Mother is
Berit Johannesdotte b 1676 Grihammar,Vang,Oppland,Norway d 1762

Roland Larsson
father is
Roland Larson b 1718 Norland,Vang,Oppland,Norway d 1793

Roland Larson father is
Lars Torisson b.about 1680 in Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway
Death: Deceased

Roland Larson mother is
Sigri Rolandsdotte b.abt 1680 Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway
Death: Deceased

Lars Torrisons father is
Tor Torstensen b. 1643 Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway D 1730

Tor Torstensen father is listed as this no first name
tortsen b abt 1611 Norland II,Vang,Oppland,Norway D Deceased

Tor Torstensen mother is not listed on lds

Nils Helgesson parents
father
Helge (Holji) Nilsson b1640 Remme,Vang,Oppland,Norway D Deceased
mother
Marit Endresdotte b 1638 Tveit,Vang,Oppland,Norway d 1713

Marriage
Spouse: Marit Endresdotte
Marriage: abt 1669 Remme,Vang,Oppland,Norway

Helge (Holji) Nilsson
father
Nils Helligeson abt 1631 Lien/Septon,,Oppland,Norway D Deceased
Mother
Guri Knutsdotte b abt 1631 Roe ,Vang,Oppland,Norway d 1664

Nils father
Hellige abt 1600 Liene,Vang,Oppland,Norway deceased

Guri's father
Knut Jacobsen Framstad b 1595 Oigale,Vang,Oppland,Norway deceased Framstad,Vang,Oppland,Norway

knuts father
Jacob b about 1570 Eltun,Vang,Oppland,Norway deceased

Edited by - jilliankloster on 30/07/2008 15:51:52
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  17:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an overwiew to show you where Vang, Rennesøy and Granvin are located in Norway.

Vang is in the eastern part of southern Norway in Oppland county in a area called Valdres which contains several parishs, Granvin is in the western part in southern Norway and south of Granvin is Rennesøy

Roland Rolandsen was born in Vang in Nordland and christened August 7. 1803.
Roland´s parents Roland Larsen age 33 and Ingeborg Johannisdatter age 40 as farmers on Nordland in 1801, no children, three servants "Tienestefolk" and a renter, Gjertrud.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 30/07/2008 17:46:11
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  18:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
takk kare :)
wow that is simply amazing and thank you for explaining that to me and for finding roland and his parents on the census

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article