All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 William STEVENSON
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ola Stevenson
Starting member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2011 :  04:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am beginning to wonder if he changed his name, or even just anglciised it. o.O

GMT/UTC +10
Go to Top of Page

Ola Stevenson
Starting member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  05:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be slow with this, but I have not been able to find the birth/marriage/death certificates which I hold (somewhere!) so I am going to order new copies soon. At the moment, I have been very busy renovating my house with the help of my sons (while I can get them!)

I've certainly not forgotten about this and will definitely come back to you all once I've got more information. :)

Cheers,
Ola

GMT/UTC +10
Go to Top of Page

Ola Stevenson
Starting member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  05:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am very sorry that this has taken me so long, but I've finally got a copy of my father's death certificate.

Details:
William Stevenson died on 3 August 1942 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, aged 71 years. His occupation was listed as "Oil Merchant". He was cremated at Brisbane Crematorium on 4 August 1942.

His parents were noted as William Fraser Stevenson (Sea Captain) and Gwendolin Olga Watson.

He was noted as being born in "Neuhuse Bergen Norway" and as being in Australia for 50 years.

I shall try to look up the crematorium to see if I can get any further details from there. :)

Cheers,
Ola

GMT/UTC +10

Edited by - Ola Stevenson on 12/02/2014 05:20:59
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2014 :  04:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ola,

It has been a long time since you posted. Welcome back!

The basic vital record for births in Norway, historically speaking, are the baptismal records which were recorded by the pastor or clerk in the local parish church. The church in most cases in Norway was Lutheran. Lutheran religion is the state religion in Norway. In a few areas there were people who believed otherwise than Lutheran and created their own congregations and worshiped otherwise. Up to then, they were recorded in the Lutheran records in separate sections within the regular books or with notes of their dissent in individual entries and after then they are most likely to be recorded in separate listings, depending on how large a community they might belong.

Here is the search engine to the baptismal records created in the numerous Lutheran parishes in the city of Bergen. This database consists of transcriptions of the records of the baptisms and virtually every piece of information contained in those records from 1816-1894. There are about 82000 baptisms performed during that time included in the database. I have worked the search engine repeatedly but have not found any person who I felt could reasonably be your William Stevenson. You will find that some details match but the parents' names are a hurdle But perhaps you want to have a go at this engine yourself to satisfy your own mind.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=22&filnamn=dp12011816&fjernsok=true

(Sorry link is not workable today 13 Feb. Eventually by the end of March 2014 this method of searching will be gone entirely --if the plan goes as planned.)

But the new information helps smooth out some of the prior uncertainty about William Stevenson. So here is a time line of his dates from the d.c.:

William Stevenson
1871 born Bergen, Norway at Neuhouse (Norwegian for "new house" would be Nyhus)

parents:
William Fraser Stevenson
Gwendolin Olga Watson

father's occupation: Sea / Ship's captain

1892 year of arrival in Queensland, Australia

____ year of marriage

1939 year of the birth of son Ola

1942 year of death
his own occupation: Oil merchant

You might consider getting, if you don't already have. your parents' marriage certificate and your own birth certificate. If modern Australian records are like modern American records a vital fact or clue may have been recorded which could help.

Edited by - jkmarler on 13/02/2014 16:06:02
Go to Top of Page

Ola Stevenson
Starting member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2014 :  06:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jackie,

Many thanks for answering my post so quickly again, and for the welcome back! A few things have happened in the intervening years that prevented me from getting back to finding my family.

I have ordered a copy of my parents' marriage certificate and am told that it may take up to two weeks to arrive, so I will let you know what I get when it comes through. Meantime, my year of birth is 1939, so I was 3 1/2 when my father died.

If I can work out how to put a copy of my father's death record image here, I will!

Cheers,
Ola

GMT/UTC +10
Go to Top of Page

Ola Stevenson
Starting member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2014 :  06:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

GMT/UTC +10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2014 :  15:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So cool to see the document...

The services were Presbyterian. Perhaps there's a record in a church?

I didn't remember this, your middle name is Sever?

I will update the timeline

Edited by - jkmarler on 13/02/2014 15:17:42
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2014 :  01:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baptism database is searchable again:

Here are people whose last name starts with Ste who are also ship captains:
År Døypt Kyrkje/sokn Rolle Stilling Førenamn Etternamn Bustad
102003 1861 1003 Nykirken Far Skibscaptein Bernt Steen 1-83
109936 1864 2201 Korskirken Far Skibscaptein Sivert Christian Steen 19-41
138238 1872 2710 Nykirken Far Skibscaptein Peter Martin Stephansen 2-9
155220 1876 0501 Nykirken Far Skibscaptein Peter Martin Stephansen 2-9

The baptism in 1872 is for a son also named Peter Martin and in 1876 a son named Nils.

Here is a link to the 1872 baptism:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=19&filnamn=dp12011816&gardpostnr=46090&personpostnr=138238&merk=138238#ovre

Here's a link to the family in 1891 census for Bergen:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=28&filnamn=berg1891&gardpostnr=33018&merk=33018#ovre

Peter the son is still in Bergen in 1900:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=34&filnamn=f01301&gardpostnr=2453&personpostnr=11711&merk=11711#ovre

Edited by - jkmarler on 14/02/2014 02:11:16
Go to Top of Page

Ola Stevenson
Starting member

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2014 :  07:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

So cool to see the document...

The services were Presbyterian. Perhaps there's a record in a church?

I didn't remember this, your middle name is Sever?

I will update the timeline

Thank you, Jackie. Yes, my middle name is Sever.

I will email the Presbyterian Church to enquire about records held.

Thank you also for checking the records in the above post. It seems that there is nothing of relevance there, sadly.

GMT/UTC +10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2014 :  14:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see what's in their marriage record. It appears that he had a good 40 years in Australian records to be found brfore he married.

I think it was remarked on before that your name is very Norwegian. There are several ways "Ole Severin" might show up in the baptism database as a first name for the barn -baby and for the father's name. Here is an example of a barn named Ole Severin, b. 1873 to sailor Ole Christian Wilhelmson & Gertine Arnsen. He was still alive in 1875:

Ole Severin b. 1873 baptismal transcription
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=91&filnamn=dp12011816&gardpostnr=47351&personpostnr=142020&merk=142020#ovre

Ole [Severin] Wilhelmsen b. 1872 in 1875 census of Bergen:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=137&filnamn=f71301&gardpostnr=1551&merk=1551#ovre

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article