All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Nels Nelson and Margaret Mickelsdatter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edwardj
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  22:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have information on these two people. They are my great-grandparents. They lived in Bergen, Norway and arrived in America approximately 1861-1863. They lived in Chicago Illinois. Nels was a carpenter. Nels and Margaret had 1 child, Caroline M, before they arrived in America. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Ed Johnson

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  01:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Familysearch.org, I found them in the 1880 census at Deerfield, Lake County, Illinois:
N.O. Neilsen-45, born Norway, Carpenter, Majesut Nelson, 38, born Norway, Caroline-19, born Norway, Anna-14, Hannah-14, Maria-11, Cathrine-9, Clara-6, Theadora-3, all born in Illinois.

In the Norway Archives, Digitalarkivet-http://digitalarkivet.uib-no/cgi-win (click on "Area at that time", clerk on Bergen):
Marriages in Bergen 1816-1911:
Item #2690, Nils Olai Nielsen, 23 yr., 6 m, place of birth-NK (maybe Nykirken parish), married to Margrethe Michelsdtr, 19 yr 6m at Domkirke on May 6, 1860.

Baptisms in Bergen-1816-1894, Item #66933:
Niels Olai born October 26, 1836, father Ole Nielsen, mother Anne Helen Mølderup, Congregation Nykirken.

They are many various databases in the Archives for Bergen.
I f you have not already done so, recommend you locate them in the 1900 census, secure their death certificates/obituaries, etc. to verify their parents names. The 1900 census also asked year of immigration and if they were naturalized.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  01:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Web address for Digitalarkivet not working in message, can anyone help?
Thanks, Jo Anne
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  09:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New address for Digitalarkivet is http://www.digitalarkivet.no/

Click on English > Area at that time > Bergen > 1301 Bergen > "Marriages in Bergen 1816-1911" or "Baptisms in Bergen 1816-1894".

Direct link to the marriage: Nils Nielsen & Margrethe Michelsdtr

Are you sure you've found the right birth-record? There are several Niels Olai born around 1834-1837. The reason I'm wondering is that I would believe his father's name should be Niels. At that time, it was still very common to take the fathers first name as a last name,,,,

This one is born in January 1837 (different congregation though)
This one is born in Aug 1837.

/Jan
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  21:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, thanks for your help. No, I do not know if that was the correct one, just giving clues. However, in May 1860, Nils was 23 years & six months old, going backwards that would be October/November 1836 so the one I posted seemed like the likely one. A starting point but something that would, of course, need to be verified by other records linking Nils to his parents.
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  22:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if Niels had any siblings, and if so their names?

Anna Helene Møldrup and Ole Nielsen had the children Carl Johan b. 1850, and Gjertine Cathrine b. 1838 in addition to Niels Olai.

Ingeborg Oline Jansdatter and Niels Nielsen also had the children: Ingeborg Oline Severine b. 1840, Peder Severin b. 1843 and Clamer Meltzer b. 1847.

Agathe Larsdatter and Niels Larsen also had the children: Birthe Christine b. 1835, Karen Johanne b. 1839
Go to Top of Page

edwardj
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  22:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only know of maybe one or two siblings. He had a carpenter's store in Chicago Illinois, USA with 1 or more brothers. I don't know their names or anything else about them.
Go to Top of Page

db
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2004 :  05:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Meltzer relative who came to America in 1865 from Norway. Could possibly be a brother to your Meltzer?

Christian Meltzer m Amelia Mallerstadt

I don't know if there is any way to know for sure

Do you have any more info since this post?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article