All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Shipsmanifest Stjerne Salmo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svemat1
Starting member

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2004 :  22:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone!
Is there anyone who can help me.? Iam locking for information
abouth Immigrant Heierdahl Peters. Berg who left Norway in 1906 with the ship "Stjerne Salmo" .The destinasjon was Chicago III. Where can i find the shipsmanifest?
I will be happy if anyone can help.
Svein

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2004 :  02:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Salmo was a feeder ship operated by the Wilson Line to transport passengers to Hull, England. From Hull by train generally to Liverpool or Glascow to transfer to their transatlantic ships. Stjerne is the name of the line but I could not find any information or translation for this word.

I am not aware of any manifests for these feeder ship transits. Chicago would have been the "final" destination, they could have arrived in North America through several ports including Quebec, New York, Philadelphia, Boston and traveled by a combination of boat and/or train to reach Chicago.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=salmo
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2004 :  17:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stjerne is translated "Star", it was used for the "White Star Line".

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2004 :  17:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
which manifest do you want?

I updated your old topic Immigration for Heyerdahl Schjøning Berg some days ago, if it was the passenger list for the ship Salmo you wanted. Click on his name in that topic, and you'll find the list of the passengers leaving Trondheim on May 16th, 1906.

Heierdahl Berg Pettersen arrived at Ellis Island on June 02, 1906, with the ship Baltic, sailing from Liverpool, England on May 23rd. click here for manifest Heyerdahl is listed as #13. Destination says Father L.?P. Thomassen, Chicago, IL., which looks a bit strange.... Isn't his father Petter Hansen...?

Jan

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/08/2004 18:06:26
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2004 :  19:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan:

Not to split hairs, but I guess I am. When I referred to passenger manifests for these feeder ships, I meant the manifest that the ship's captains produced to present to the harbormaster at the arrival port.

I had used your link to the Emigrants from Trondheim database which, I believe, are the police protocols giving emigrants permission to leave to leave. This list would not include port stops, passengers picked up along the way, total number of passengers, births, deaths, arrival date, name of captain, etc.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2004 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo Anne;

when I said "which manifest do you want", I was referring to the author of this topic, Svein....

I agree that the List of Emigrants from Trondheim 1867-1930 are police protocols from Trondheim, but can to a certain point be looked at as "Manifest" for people leaving Trondheim harbour. It's not a complete record for the ship, since the ship (as you say) often entered several harbours along the norwegian coast.

The original documents for "Emigrants from Trondheim 1867-1930" are stored at The Regional State Archives in Trondheim, Statsarkivet i Trondheim.

Jan

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/08/2004 19:47:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article