All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Solems in Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

haney1
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2004 :  06:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have hit a brick wall trying to find out origin of my great-grandparents, Isaac Jacob Solem, b. 1843, and Johanna Magrethe Andersen, b. 1844. It's possible that Johanna came from the Skofteby, Tune, Ostfold area. It's also possible that her parents were Anders Olsen and Elen Brynildsdr, but not proven. I have absolutely no other information on Isaac, except that they showed up in Chicago Census in 1873. My grandmother claimed that Isak Jakob was Jewish. Any help would be appreciated. Please respond to my e-mail address.
haney7@charter.net

Looking for Solem ancesters

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2004 :  15:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1880 US census extraction on the LDS familysearch.org website shows 'Isaac Solom' (married, occupation - tailor) to be living in Chicago with his wife and two young children.
The 1900 US census lists Isak (handwriting makes it appear more like Seak) J. Solem was born in January of 1843, he works as a tailor, he immigrated in 1873 and is a naturalized citizen, he has been married for 27? yrs. Johanna and the three surviving children are still living at home.
By the 1910 US census 'Isaac Solem' is 67 yrs old and that census lists that he and Johanna immigrated in 1872, they have 3 children and 2 of the daughters are still living at home.

His occupation might be a clue in finding him on any Norwegian emigrant databases. Narrowing down the year for that departure is also a help even if you decide to research into passenger arrivals in America..

We'd hope to be able to find an Isak (or any other spelling variation) about 21-23 years old in the 1865 Norwegian census. I find one who might prove to be of interest to you - living in Solum district of Telemark, Norway - 21 years old and living with widowed mother and siblings -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60818.wc2&variabel=0&postnr=4091&fulle=true&spraak=n

Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  06:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a suitable couple here:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=fornavn&pgj=7&teljing=ft1865&filnamn=f60114.wc2&amt=1&funnenr=304

Though no suitable brother.

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

haney1
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2004 :  00:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for your help on the Solom and Anderson family. However, I cannot read the language, so it doesn't do me much good. Thanks anyhow. Deanna

Looking for Solem ancesters
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2004 :  00:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recommend this dictionary:

http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

If you want to do research on ancestors from foreign countries, you are going to have to be able to read basic records
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article