All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need help translating Norweign to English
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim Gilbertson
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2006 :  09:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following info on my ancestor is in Norweign. Need help in translating:

"Timann hadde hatt Olsgard som han seldi i 1845. I 1848 hiter dei Olsgardeige, og i 1850 var dei komne hit. Timann skulle vore flink svarvar, svarva bollar o.l. Timmann Kølle, fin bølle, sa folk. I Ian laga òg ei mengd med trog, og som betaling skulle han ha troget fullt med korn. Og so skulle han vore svær te å brenne brennevin. Til dette brukte han to børsepiper som røyr, og truleg dreiv han med dette i cin liten bekk som kjem ned nord for husa i Kølle."

Thank you.

Bjaco
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2006 :  11:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I can give it a try, but it is difficult to read even in Norwegian.

Timann had owned Olsgard [a farm] which he sold in 1845. In 1848 they found [ bought?] Olsgardeige [probably another farm] and in 1850 they had come to this place. Timann was supposedly a skilled "svarvar" [not sure but I think it means wood carver], making e.g wooden bowls. Timmann Køllle, fine/skilled "bølle" [this does not make sence in modern Norwegian, cannot translate], people often said about him. "I Ian" [do not understand] did also make a lot of "trog" [dont know the English word and I do not have a dictionary at hand, check this web site for pictures of trau = trog (plural traur) http://home.online.no/~hahalli/trau.htm ], and as payment he asked for as much cereal grain as the "trog" could hold. He was also supposedly a major moonshiner. He used two gun barrels as pipes. The moonshine making took probably place by the stream north of the houses in Kølle.

Your ancestor sounds like a character indeed!

Bjørn Jacobsen

Go to Top of Page

ewersi
Starting member

Norway
28 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2006 :  19:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Some of the words in the norwegian text are dialect and not easy to translate.

Timann owned the Olsgard farm which he sold in 1845. In 1848 they had the Olsgardeige, and in 1850 the arrived here. Timann was a skilled wood carver who carved bowles. Tinmann Kølle (surname) was quite a bully according to people. He also made a lot of iron (jan = jern) troughs. As payment for these he wanted what each trough could contain of grain. He was also known for his "moonshining". He used two riflebarrels as pipes. His distillery was placed in a small creek north of their houses in Kølle (name of place).
Go to Top of Page

Jim Gilbertson
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2006 :  00:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Thank you very much to both of you for your assistance in translating this information about my ancestor. It is very helpful. Sound like he was a very interesting fellow. The information was in a Bygdeboker. Does anyone know if they publish these Bygdeboker in English? They are such a great resource for those interested in their Norwegian ancestors.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2006 :  15:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim - bygdebøker are published in Norway in Norwegian. Get yourself a good Norwegian-English dictionary and start working through. I found that once I got some help understanding a few abbreviations I could find my relatives, determine vital dates (birth, baptism, marriage, death - even selling of land) but much of the narrative I saved in my family computer filing system and I pull them out one by one and work at translating these extra stories when I feel like it.
You might find others who have already worked in that particular book translating. One place to check might be on the Norway-List at Rootsweb or through webpages where Lookup volunteers have listed themselves.
Which book is your information about 'Timann' from? Where in Norway was he from? I'm interested because I think he ended up as a neighbor to several of my family members in Iowa -perhaps even next door neighbor to one in the 1880 US census.

Check for Lookup volunteers at these locations -
http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/lookups.html
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/lookups.html
http://www.rootsweb.com/~bwo/
Go to Top of Page

Lillemor
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2006 :  23:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`ve read your translations and think Timann Kølle fin bølle, means Timann Kølle nice bowl . Bølle is a word for bowl(bolle).
Go to Top of Page

ewersi
Starting member

Norway
28 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  00:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Lillemor,
Kølle is an old Norwegian surname that comes from a small farm. Bolle og bølle are two completely different words. Bolle means bowl or bun. Bølle means a bully.
Best regards,
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Obelix
Starting member

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
To talk about "svarvar" as wood cutter, sounds wrong to me. Svarvar are an old norwegian word for what in norwegian today are called dreier. Tahat is all about to fasten the piece of woot in a machine and make it rotate, and then make the cutting in it while rotating.

Magne
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  18:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wooden bowls, cups, etc. can be turned on a tool known as a lathe. We Americans call that wood turning. The human craftsman in the process is called a wood turner or a lathe operator. It is a very very old craft/art. Modern lathe machines are operated with electricity - but early models could be powered by foot similar to treadle sewing machines.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article