All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Kerstin Eliason a Norwegian Swede
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  15:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sister of my wifes grandfather emigrated to America and was not considered when the inheritance after her mother was divided among the surviving children.

It was written by the executor of the will that nobody knew about where she and her children stayed at that time.

I have looked into emigration records from Ellis Island since it was said that she had left for New York and I have found the following which could be the sister of my wifes grandfather and her three children.

Kerstin Eliason 59 years widow left Gothenburg with Venetia and arrived Jan 02 1894
Anders Gustaf Eliason 17 years left Gothenburg with Venetia and arrived Jan 02 1894
Sven Eliason 20 years left Helsingborg with Venetia and arrived March 26 1894
Clara Josefina Eliason 18 years left Gothenburg with Venetia and arrived July 14 1894.

To make certain that this is a family and find where they settled I would be grateful for some help.

Einar

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  15:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were the ages listed with the arrivals in New York actually accurate? Did they match earlier records?
I've looked at Eliasons in US census indexes - born in Sweden and then those born in Norway since I can't be sure which would be used by what you call a "Norwegian Swede".
You MIGHT check into a Sweden born "Anders G. Eliason" who was living in Lostwood township of Mountrail County, North Dakota in 1920. But he lists his age in that census as 49, he is listed as immigrated during the1890's. (I don't have much hope that is actually a match...just the closest I was able to find.)
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  23:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for trying - unfortunately we do not know much about the three children - all born in Sweden. The mother Kerstin (was for a periode living in Kristiania with parents and siblings) is at the arrivel older than the information we have - but also here we are not sure.
Maybe our knowledge is not good enough and maybe we should not have asked for help.
Thank you.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  00:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you can only try. On the Ellis Island database it says Kerstin and Anders are going to Osage, Iowa, Sven is going to Ludlow, Pennsylvania and Clara is going to Chicago, Illinois.

I have the Swedish Emigrant CD and they are all listed in the Goteborg index:

Anders & Kjerstin are from Kristinenhamn parish.
Sven is from Hinnaryd parish.
Klara Josefina is from Degerfors parish.

No additional information on the CD.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  03:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo Anne, that's interesting information. Osage is in Mitchell County, Iowa.
The 1900 US census does not show any Swedish born in Mitchell Co. IA using the surname Eliason - BUT there is an Andrew Gustafson, 23 or 24 yrs old, born 1876? Sweden, immigrated about 1893. He has a Norway born wife (of 2 yrs) and one infant son. LIving in his household is his mother, "Christina" , born 1834 in Sweden and a sister Emma born 1871.
Einar, does any of that information seem possible for your "Norwegian Swedes"?? We never expect information in a US census to be perfect - but hopefully close.

Edited by - Hopkins on 12/01/2007 03:41:15
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2007 :  10:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very difficult to say - we have to do a lot more studies here in Scandinavia before we can tell.
I thank you for your help.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article