All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Contract Ticket
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ssloane
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  03:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know what the ticket contract numbers mean as indicated in column two of the Canadian passenger lists? Is there a way to trace the origin of the ticket via it's number? I'm hoping the number somehow indicates an agent or a grouping.

My grandmother was on the S.S. Melita in May 1920 sailing from Liverpool to Quebec on ticket # E 3/780. I've run through the passenger list and there are about 20 other tickets numbered exactly the same, "E.3/688 to 806". Her friend had ticket number E 3/779, so they were probably purchased together.

All of these people were domestics or laborers and all except two were Church of England. Those two were Baptists. The ticket holders were between the ages of 16 and 32.

Other tickets have four or five digits and no letters or just one letter and some digits with no spaces or bars.

We're trying to find out how and why my grandmother went to Canada.

Sally Sloane

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  21:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You did not say if your grandmother was Norwegian but there is lots of information and articles on this site about the emigration process, the Melita was owned by the Canadian Pacific Line:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_shiplist.asp?co=capal

People went to Canada first because in 1920 that is the routes the shipping companies used and it was cheaper, they then traveled on to their final destinations in America.
Go to Top of Page

ssloane
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandmother was not Norwegian. She travelled to Canada as part of the Assisted Immigrant program offered to the "young, able-bodied morally upright" who could farm or perform domestic work. I want to know more about this program.

I have been researching my family for over 15 years and have still not located Violet Agnes Chapman's birth certificate. I followed the links you suggested but they do not offer any insight to the origin or meaning of the ticket contract numbering system. My hope is that if I can find out where she got the ticket I can locate the orphanage she was living in.

It seems that the ticket number should indicate an agency or agent, don't you think?

Sally Sloane
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does England have public censuses from 1910, if they do she should be listed there, to have her middle name too is a good start.

In Norway we have a 100 years rule to make public the censuses, 1910 will soon be available, but how this is in England I don´t know.

I wish you good luck.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  00:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The England & Wales FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983 have this:

Violet Agnes V Chapman
Birth: Dec 1900 - Derby, Derbyshire, England

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

ssloane
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  00:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1910 Census is available in England but it is arranged by district and county and we don't know where she was born. I contacted a researcher who said there were over 4,000 people born on that date throughout England.

To complicate matters, she indicated to one of her daughters that "Chapman" was not her actual surname. It was changed when she went to Canada after WWI because it sounded too German and there were a lot of hard feelings after the war.

She lived her life as "Violet Agnes" Edwards (married name) born September 13, 1904. There is one Violet Agnes Chapman born on this date in Islington, but the names of the parents don't match what she put on her marriage license in Buffalo, NY.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a free International database based on birthdate that one could search by sex, given name, and then country?

Someday!

Sally Sloane
Go to Top of Page

ssloane
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  00:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I mis-spoke. There was one Violet Agnes Chapman listed in the BMD index for July-August-September 1904 in Islington, England.

I pulled this birth certificate and the parents names didn't match. My grandmother listed "Florence Gill" as her mother and "Albert" (no surname) as her father on her marriage license to my grandfather.

If I have to, I will pay for the birth certificate of every female born on September 13th in England in 1904 and then 1903 until I find her. I hope I live long enough and earn enough money to pay for this pledge. I'm already 54 years old!

Sally Sloane
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  02:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In the online transcription of the British 1881 census, there are 145 Florence Gill a smaller number to search than 4,000!

Where did her friend come from? Maybe they came from the same place or maybe the friends children know the story?...

Change of name due to tensions from the War is understandable--isn't that how the Royals became Windsors????

Good Luck

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  08:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a lot of information on your grandmother, Violet Agnes born Sept. 13. 1904.
If you should try to search in the 1910 English census, dont ues exact spelling, start with few letter and use contains to see if there are varying spelling.
Norwegian emigrants mostly kept the initials when they changed name so for that reason we can perhaps assume her last name start with C (this is only a qualified guess and I don´t want to lead you into a blind track).
She told that she changed last name because it sounded German, but from what?
Man is mann in German so Chapmann is German for Chapman.
Including German Capermann/Kapermann.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  19:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine your question(s) about the Canadian passenger lists and contract numbers to be better addressed to the Canadians or even to "The Ships List".
http://www.cyndislist.com/ships.htm
http://www.theshipslist.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article