All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Toleff Olsen Abusland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  02:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the middle of the left side page Toleff Olsen Abusland and Ole Syversen Hornnes are listed together . What are the words that join these two gentlemen together. Link below.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9444&idx_id=9444&uid=ny&idx_side=-36

I was searching for the birth record of Torberg Tolleisdatter born in 1723 but only found this reference to Tollef and no reference to his daughter.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  02:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are looking at a marriage record in 1723. See the "Cop" in the left margin -- that is explained here:
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm
Another word starts with "forlov..." and check the translation list and you'll see some words of interest.

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

You will see in that simple study material - those two are "best men" or witnesses to attest to the non-family relationship of the bride and groom.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  10:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Tollef Olsen Abusland (Abesland - Aabaasland) was Torbergs (Torborg - Torbor) father?

Einar
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  23:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, according to the bygdebøk Hornnes I Gards og Æettesoge by Olav Uleberg, Tolei Olson Abusland was married to Kari Knutsdatter and had two children Torborg and Guro, Torborg was born around 1723 and married Ole Svenkeson in 1738 and had the child Svenke about 1745.

You might remember Abusland from my earlier posting, I am now tracing the Abusland ancestors back in time.

Thank you very much for the information on what I was looking at on the DA page. It is quite a challenge for a novice to use the parish registers.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  00:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You gave a link to a parish record and I briefly scanned through some of the earlier pages in that church book. I didn't save more than one link but I'm fairly sure that I saw the name Tollef Abusland (include spelling variations) several times in the 5 earlier pages to that marriage record. One appears to be a death/burial for the 70 year old wife of Tollef Abesland??

1721 death of a 70 yr old

The writer/compiler of the bygdebok may have been dealing with multiple men with very very similar or even identical names. It is also a well accepted fact that some bygdeboks are less dependable that others... we all make mistakes ... even the compilers of bygdeboks.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  01:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Hopkins, no need for ??
Left hand 10. line from bottom.

Død Tollef Abeslands quinde 70 aar.
Dead Tollef Abeslands wife age 70.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  03:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bygdebøk states Tollei Olson Abusland
translated as He was a soldier in 1694 , was married 2 times
a) with one that died i 1721 , she was 70 years old
b) with Kari Knustsdtr.
born with Kari
a. Torborg
b. Guro born about 1727 married 1753 husband Gjurd Olson Abusland
Next section covers Torborg Toleisdtr married to Ola Svenkeson
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9284 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  04:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On this page
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9444&idx_id=9444&uid=ny&idx_side=-35

right hand side, 9 lines from bottom it almost appears as if it is the marriage of Tolleif Olson Abusland to Kari Knutsdatter Abusdal. But the word on the far right is not Cop as in other marriages but a word I can not make out but looks like Dopftet or something similar. The names are difficult to read and I may be stretching to make them into Tollef Olson Abusland and Kari Knutsdatter Abusdal.

I would welcome anyone else taking a shot at both the word and the names.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  07:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
9 lines from bottom it almost appears as if it is the marriage of Tolleif Olson Abusland to Kari Knutsdatter Abusdal
- it is
they were "Desponsered" on Dec 13, Forlovelsesmenn - best men were Ole Lolland og Torger Abesland.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article