All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 bark Askur from Dramman April 15, 1862
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

orm overland
Starting member

Norway
22 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  15:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since there is no passenger list available for this sailing, a brief account of the voyage may be of interest. Gunder Helgesen Skare, who lived near Decorah in Winneshiek County, Iowa, visited his old home in Eggedal in Sigdal in Buskerud, probably leaving Iowa in late april or early May. He wrote to his father Helge Gundersen August 13, 1862:
"Now that Providence has brought me well and happily here to Iowa in America I should send a few lines back to you telling you about my journey. As you know, we left Svelvik on the morning of April 16 and arrived in Quebec on June 21st from where our ship went all the way up to Montreal on June 23rd. So it took us two months and one week. So you can see that it took us a very long time to cross the great Atlantic, which was because we had a persistent head wind that several times threatened to turn us back. I was a little seasick to begin with but except for this I have been in good health. We left two dead behind, a woman who was taken ashore at Åsgardstrand to be buried and a small child who was buried at sea. We left Montreal on the 24th and came to Prairie du Chien on July 1st where I was lucky to meet Elling Vold who happened to be in town at the same time that I arrived. Our chance meeting was celebrated as a happy occasion for both of us and I left my group and arrived here at home the next day."
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article