All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Family Reunion..Looks for help to locate records..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rio4Ever
New on board

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2002 :  21:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. My name is Debbie Steil and I am writing to you as a result of some information that I have received from a cousin that is living in Norway. This family member has been very instrumental in filling in the gaps in our family tree and aiding me in researching my family, many of whom descended from the Meraker area of Norway.
My family is having a reunion on the weekend of the 18th of May this year in the Gladstone area and near the Hegre Lutheran Church here in Alberta, Canada where my family homesteaded, and I am seeking information about descendants of our family. I was lead to understand that my Great Great Grandfather "Erik Lassesen" had written the family history of Meraker. There were said to be a number of old newspaper articles about the "Lassesen" family that had been written some 50 plus years ago as well.
I would love to surprise my family members here in Canada with either copies of the histories that my Great Great Grandfather Erik had written or perhaps some copies of these newspaper articles that were written about my descendants. Even photos of the area would be great. I had hoped that perhaps someone affiliated with your web site would by chance have access to or know where I may be able to obtain information about my family and further information about the area they came from.
Any assistance you could be would be so greatly appreciated. I am trying to make this family reunion very special for my aunts and uncles as they are the last of the elders of my family here in Canada. My Great Grandfather Peder Lassesen (son of Erik) immigrated first to South Dakota U.S.A. where he owned a photo studio and then later immigrated to Canada . They immigrated first to the United States...I would love to find a ship's record but have no idea as to the year they immigrated. Can anyone tell me how to look?
I realize that time is of the essence and that May 18th is almost upon us, but if there is nay information you could pass on to me, any or all would be appreciated. My e-mail address and current mailing address is below.
Thankyou .

Debbie Steil
Bashaw, Alberta. Canada

ddsteil@telusplanet.net E-Mail

Debbie Steil
R. R. 1
Bashaw, Alberta, Canada
T0B0H0

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2002 :  22:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debbie

I found your family in the Digitalarkivet emigrating in 1902. They departed from Trondheim on the Wilson Line steamship "Salmo" for Hull in England, crossed by train to Liverpool and that is probably where they boarded a White Star Line ship for America. The White Star operated routes from Liverpool - Boston/Philadelphia and Liverpool - New York in 1902. The link below shows the digitalarkivet record, you will se that they were not traveling alone from Meraaker:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=arkivverket/EMITROND&variabel=0&postnr=99131&fulle=true&spraak=e

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Canadian Debbie
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2005 :  22:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you thank you thank you...see posting of Nov 20/05 (ships passanger lists) for further info...

Debbie Steil (Lassesen/Olsen)

Debbie Steil
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2005 :  14:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book about Meraker that is listed with Erik Lassesen as author was entitled "Gamle Merakerslegter". It was published in Trondheim, Norway in 1921. The book has been copied to microfilm that can be ordered and used at any LDS Family History Center (most centers also have at least some copying capability from microfilm/fiche). I found the title and publication details by checking in the LDS library catalog online -
http://www.familysearch.org/

You may also find the Trondelag mailing list (on Rootsweb) a helpful place to join -
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/NOR/TRONDELAG.html
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2005 :  18:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the parent organization for the Trøndelag list:

http://www.tronderlag.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article