All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Oliver Hansen Depart Bergen 1859-60
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

norge139
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2013 :  22:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kare: I'm pretty sure the 1841 birthdate is wrong, but I have no real proof of that. The date I have is 1847 and 1845 and 1847 both "Fit" better than other years from the records I have found.
He was not in Bergen in 1865, he woould have been in the USA sometime between 1859 and 1860 if what I have is correct from the stories passed down.
He supposedly was the oldest of 6 children and this is the reason he was sent to sea. Apparently there was a new step mother who came into the picture and they did not get along.
Have no proof that his mother died when he was 12 other than the story that was passed down.
He was very secretive about anything involving his past in Norway from what I have been told. The story says he changed his last name from "Hanson" to Hansen" when he got to America. there is nothing passed down about him changing his first name.
Again, I am out of state for work and have none of my info with me, other than my memory. I know the story by heart from the little I have as I heard it over and over again from my grandmother as I was always fascinated with the story.
I'm not sure where the Family Search info came from that has his brithyear as 1841, but I can't disprove that either.
I think that seamans records may be the only solution to finding Oliver for sure, but have no idea how to look them up or if they even exist.
Thanks for your help, and I really appreciate anything you can find that would help in the search.

John

John Hansen
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2013 :  23:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome John.
I was also unsure about this "Oliver".
Would just keep all options open.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7790 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2013 :  00:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the article about seaman's records here on norwayheritage.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/articles/templates/genealogy.asp?articleid=4&zoneid=2

Most of the Norwegian seaman's records are not online nor easily accessible. (I have already checked the 9,000 sailor database at sjĝhistorie.no and the only Oliver Hansen there was born in 1901 in Glemminge, Norway. So far the coverage in the database is southern Norway. ) It appears that you have to have some idea where the candidate was from in order to know where to access them.

I'll post the address to the online index to Bergen baptisms covering Oliver's dates and you can have a look yourself. These "old" databases will only be searchable through 30 Dec as the Digitalarkivet is closing them down on 31 Dec 2013--or so they have posted. I'm not familiar enough with the "new" search engine to tell you if the data is findable with it, it may not be.

I've left the headings in English and they may or may not stay that way. You can search by role (whether the barn or child first name) and birthdate etc + things like the father's first name etc.
Bergen Baptisms 1816-1894:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=dp12011816&spraak=e&metanr=3967

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/12/2013 00:05:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article