All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Eli Halvorsdatter/Halvorsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  01:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandmother, Eli Halvorsdatter/Halvorsen, died in Kristiana sometime between the birth of her last child, Eleonore Larsen, and 1900, when her husband, Hans Larsen, remarried. I would love to find out the date of her death and the reason. It could have been right after Eleonore was born in March 1883. Any help is very much appreciated.

Mary

Mary L. Keys

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  19:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary

It would be great help if you know where in Kristiania they lived, and /or what parish / church Eleonore was Baptised. Because there was a lot of churches already that time in Kristiania. Have to look in all church registers is a lot of work.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A reference to an earlier topic would be helpfull, ref. posting by Jan Peter:
Eleonore Eugenie Therese Larsen
Christening: 22 JUL 1883, Gronland Menighet, Oslo, Akershus
Parents: Hans Larsen & Lina Halvorsdr.
Have you looked through the death records for Gronland Menighet, Oslo, Akershus?

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/05/2009 20:24:37
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  03:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eli was called Lina in one document. I don't know if that was a mistake or if she was called Lina as a nickname of sorts. I haven't found that out. In my grandmother's marriage license, her mother's name was Eli Halvorsen.

Thanks for referencing that for me, I appreciate all the help you have given me in finding out information about my grandmother's family. Norwayheritage listers have been just wonderful. I'm amazed at how much I've found out and been able to add to my family history. Blessings on all of you. Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  06:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can read Church records for Norway on internet.
Just remember that Kristiania, Christiania and Oslo is the same.

The link to Digitalarkivet is for the Norwegian site: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/

And the English site is: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

This site tells you (in english) about Digitalarkivet.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

Geir
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  06:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had no luck finding anything in Gronland. I have no idea where they moved to after Eleonore was born in Gronland, if indeed they did. I found Hans' remarriage where it says she died but not when or where. I once heard of a site where they list burials from a certain date. Anyone know which one that would be? It's not the one that lists graves.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2009 :  07:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You found Hans' remarriage, where and when did he remarriage? This might tell something about where he stayed or moved. Helpfull info for they who want to help looking.
I think you know already that he lived in Ullensaker in records 1900. Ullensaker is in Akershus, outside (Oslo) Kristiania.

In Digitalarkivet burials - "Døde" -are registered for every parish. They also have Confirmed -"Konfirmasjon"- where you are about 14 years old. Looking here for Eleonore can tell something about where they lived.
I would have started with Grønland,Vålerengen, Petrus, Jacob, Vor Frelser, Johannes In Oslo, and Hovin(d) in Ullensaker.
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  03:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Geir. I'll look into that. Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2009 :  10:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I had no luck finding anything in Gronland. I have no idea where they moved to after Eleonore was born in Gronland, if indeed they did. I found Hans' remarriage where it says she died but not when or where.
could you share with us some info on Hans' remarriage, where and when?
quote:
I think you know already that he lived in Ullensaker in records 1900.
could you supply some proof of where he lived and that it is the Hans Larsen in question.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 14/05/2009 10:28:55
Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  05:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's him. His father was one of his witnesses. They went back to live on the farm he was brought up on, Hovinsaeter. Now probably spelled differently. He married Dorothea Kristiansdatter on February 7, 1900. This came from the Akershus County, Ullensaker in Ullensaker Parish Register, nr. 120 (1892-1902) Marriage Rcords, 1900, pp. 141. It was her first marriage and his second. Reason for dissolving of marriage was death.

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page

Geir Dybvig
Medium member

Norway
97 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  17:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4941&idx_id=4941&uid=ny&idx_side=-143

Link aboe to remarrige. 1900 nr. 3
This tell us:
Hans was Brickbuilder and self owner when remarrige. This means he own Hovinsæter (Hovfinsæter census 1900)
He was born in Groruddalen i Østre Aker (Grorud Walley East Aker) 1946.
Confirmed 27 sept. 1863.

His father was "Husmann" Lars Hansen living on Hovinsæter as He was not a witness!

Witness at remarrige: "Stasjonsmester" Andreas Christensen, Hauerseter and "Tømmermand" Hans Kristiansen, Elstadeie.
1'st marrige ended because of death of his wife.
It also tells that he have a change certificate from this first marrige.

This can tell something about where and when Eli died.

Geir

Go to Top of Page

mkeys

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  21:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for looking that up. How can we get ahold of a change certificate? Mary

Mary L. Keys
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article