All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Olevia Johannesen/her mother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robhansen
Starting member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  12:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I can't find any trace of Olevia Johannesen who was destined for De Moines, Iowa in 1911 and is confirmed leaving Norway in that year.

She was born 23 Dec 1880 Ibestad, Troms.

She was going out to meet someone she knew. This could have been her mother who is untraceable after 1885. She was born 1859 Ibestad, Troms.

Can anyone find them - you may have to look across America for the answer.

Please let me know if you find anything.

Regards,

Rob.

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  14:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her mother Anne Kathrine Marie Hansdatter moved from Ibestad to Tromsų in 1881 and then to Trondheim and emirated to USA in 1896, see record #250
Emigrating from Trondheim she calls herself Anna H. Bredvold see Bredvold (Breivold was the farm where her parents were living and where Olivia was left behind) see Olivia Klefstad in 1900

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/05/2009 14:52:31
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  15:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob could have included a link to the actual "confirmed leaving Norway" for the daughter. That link gives additional information that might help anyone inclined to try to help him search in the US.
1911 leaving Bergen
Go to Top of Page

robhansen
Starting member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  19:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not realise Olevia was using Brudvold 'etternavn' I had not seen the record on DA. . That would have saved a lot of time .

Thanks Eibache, Can we pin Anne dowin in WA? I think DeMoins may be a red herring.

Rob.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9251 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  22:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an Olivia Johannensen age 30 listed as a passenger on the Empress of Ireland from Liverpool England to Quebec, date of arrival listed as 20 July 1911. Her destination is listed as Des Moines, Iowa. Lists herself as single born in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  00:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Rob could have included a link to the actual "confirmed leaving Norway" for the daughter. That link gives additional information that might help anyone inclined to try to help him search in the US.
1911 leaving Bergen

You should also have mentioned that you just a few days ago received help on the same people at Digitalarkivet... Just to avoid that people are wasting time on things that you already know.
Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  00:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on yet another message forum is asking others again without giving full disclosure of information already known???

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.scan-balt.norway.general/8937/mb.ashx
Go to Top of Page

robhansen
Starting member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  09:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haven't a clue what you're talking about and haven't received any help findimg Anne or Olevia. Not in the business of asking questions twice. Where is this information on Digital Archive??

Rob.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  22:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robhansen

haven't a clue what you're talking about and haven't received any help findimg Anne or Olevia. Not in the business of asking questions twice. Where is this information on Digital Archive??

Rob.

Check the link for Digitalarkivet posted 04/05/2009 : 00:30:31.
A man named Rob Hansen, London, UK, is asking the same questions about one Olevia Johannessen born 23 Dec 1880 in Ibestad... a namesake or just short memory?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

robhansen
Starting member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  23:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has become petty and pointles. There is no obligation on anyone to provide information - in this cvase so little was known and no help forthcoming from th Digital Archive it is difficult to take you seriuosly. There is no substance to your allegations.

If you want to be a teacher join as school .I've done nothing wrong- I find your comments petty and facile.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9251 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  02:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I might not have spent a half-day digging through the passenger rercords, finding that Olive Johannensen was listed on the Empress of Ireland if I had known that Jan Peter Wiborg had already found this information and posted it on Digitalarkivet forum. Unfortunately for me I do not regularly peruse Digitalarkivet forums. You could have quite easily saved me from wasting my time had you informed me upfront that you had posted the same question two other places. I likely would have checked them before spending the half-day looking and if I had not then the wasted time would have been on my nickel.
Go to Top of Page

robhansen
Starting member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  23:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not require anything further from anyone nor was anyone obliged to help.

For the record, the meagre and skeletal posts so laboured and bewailed in the above matter

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4218#21639

http://da2.uib.no/cgi-win/WebDebatt.exe?slag=listinnlegg&debatt=brukar&temanr=69520&spraak=e

contain precious little information of use and have no assurance of authenticity whatsoever.

And as this is a discussion about rules and regulations and professional conduct no statement can be made for the quality of work in them whatsoever .

For The pharisees among you these links will no doubt be tremendous fun.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article