All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Amund Amundson(sen) copied from Aussie page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beverly Hiatt
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  18:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna, Johan and Agnes were placed in an orphanage in Lyon County Iowa after the death of their parents, Amund Amundson and Emma Christine Johnson both from Norway. The Iowa census of 1900 shows the children on the list of residents.
There are many Amund Amundsons (sen) with the spelling poss. chgd at the time of immigration. My family only has a verbal story from my grandmother Agnes, now desceased] of the Roald connection. Agnes was b. in either North Dakota,USA or Dakota terr.
I am a friend of the granddaughter of Torkel Oftelie who wrote and was a friend of Roald A, However with so many years passed we cannot find any history of my greatgrandparents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beverly Hiatt
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  18:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted - 09/05/2009 : 17:57:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Beverly,
some LDS records (www.familysearch.org) indicate that the children of Amund Amundson & Emma Johnson are born in South Bend, St.Joseph, Indiana. In addition to Anna, Johan and Agnes, they also list one Anton Emil Amundson, born 07 Sep 1881 in South Bend, St.Joseph, Indiana, dead 15 MAY 1973. Anton Emil married Alma Augustsson Johansson (of Swedish descent) on 15 Dec 1909 in St.Paul, Ramsey, Minnesota.

Father Amund Amundson is listed as born 19 May 1852 in Trondheim, Trondelag, Norway, dead 19 Jan 1892 in Hillsboro, Traill, No.Dakota

I found one Amund Amundsen, born May 19th, 1852 in Norway!

Amund Amundsen
Birth: 19 MAY 1852
Christening: 27 JUN 1852, Kvernes, Møre & Romsdal
Parents: Amund Rasmussen & Else Anna Johannesdr
Source: Møre og Romsdal county, Kvernes, Parish register (official) nr. 568A10 (1830-1853), Birth and baptism records 1852, page 163.

Amund is a twin with Ane Olava Amundsen. Amund and Ane Olava are listed as illegitimate childs, ie. parents are not married.

Here is Amund and Olava on the Stakvik farm in Kvernes, census-1865.
Their mother has married Ole Paulsen, and Amund and Olava are listed as his stepson (-daughter).

Jan Peter

Beverly J
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article