All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ancestral Farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

derrickoien
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2024 :  20:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working on my family ancestry for 20+ years. My aunt visited the family farm in Norway a long time ago and given her age, she can't recall where it was. I found the records on the 1865 Census that said that they were on Ytteroy on a farm with this information:

Census district: 008 2det
Help
Rural residence: 0021 Fjeldstuen

Parish:Ytterøen
Parish:Værran

I can't find any maps and I assume the farm was absorbed a long time ago. Any chance someone might have some ideas on how I can locate the area?

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
839 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2024 :  22:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So these are the people: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038340004446
Go to Top of Page

derrickoien
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2024 :  22:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is my 2nd great grandfather and my great grandfather Mads.

quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

So these are the people: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038340004446

Edited by - derrickoien on 09/07/2024 22:39:58
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
839 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2024 :  23:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was probably located somewhere near Verrasundet: Map. You can zoom in on the map (South shore) and find many of the farms mentioned before and after Fjeldstuen in the census, like Storsteinvik, Hindberg, Hovdklumpen. The name of Fjeldstuen would be Fjellstua today; with a little luck I can find something relevant in a bygdebok. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by - ToreL on 09/07/2024 23:03:39
Go to Top of Page

derrickoien
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2024 :  23:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! This is helpful. I have been looking on the island of Ytteroy but the older generations are listed in Mosvik which would be nearer to this area.

quote:

It was probably located somewhere near Verrasundet: Map. You can zoom in on the map (South shore) and find many of the farms mentioned before and after Fjeldstuen in the census, like Storsteinvik, Hindberg, Hovdklumpen. The name of Fjeldstuen would be Fjellstua today; with a little luck I can find something relevant in a bygdebok. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by - derrickoien on 09/07/2024 23:13:38
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
839 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  01:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ytterøy Parish probably covered more than Ytterøy island. Mosvik seems to have been a subparish of Ytterøy parish, and that is where the son Augustinus was baptised in early 1863:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000039879878

Note that the parents' residence at that time was given as Hindberg. So possibly Fjeldstuen was a cotter's place under Hindberg.
Go to Top of Page

derrickoien
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  04:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Thanks fo much for this. I managed to get a picture of the home stead and it was very small. Not sure how to upload it here. I put it on Dropbox here - https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/awcpsyrgiuzrs3e11dnft/175122935_1328856714180364_3947749655056466412_n.jpg?rlkey=8rfvovmkcftldlg3vu31f86ma&st=urarv3en&dl=0

quote:

Ytterøy Parish probably covered more than Ytterøy island. Mosvik seems to have been a subparish of Ytterøy parish, and that is where the son Augustinus was baptised in early 1863:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000039879878

Note that the parents' residence at that time was given as Hindberg. So possibly Fjeldstuen was a cotter's place under Hindberg.

Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
839 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  10:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should note that in the 1865 census, Andreas is listed as a husmand uten jord, which means that he didn't own the place where he lived. In such cases, people could move about quite a bit, so there might be several candidates for the "family farm". In 1891 and 1900, Andreas ("Andrias") and Anne/Anna lived at a farm named Øien:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01053121000678
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01037481000655

Edited by - ToreL on 10/07/2024 10:34:45
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
839 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  11:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family is described in volume 3 of Bygdebok for Mosvik. Online access is restricted, but I have had a look, and it says that Augustinus was born at Fjellstu, located between Stordrilen and Fjellvatna, and indeed there is a Fjelstua there: Map.

The family is listed under the farm Øyen, described as situated at "Stonga i Meltingvatnet". Meltingvatnet (Melting lake) is easily found on the map, but I am less sure about Stonga. Perhaps it is the same as Storøya, in that case the farm is here: Map. In the 1900 census, Øyen is listed together with Liaunet, also at Meltingvatnet: Map. As I read the book, Andreas owned the farm Øyen from 1875 and onwards. Here is a clipping. Andreas Kristoffersen Øien died at Liaunet in 1908 (#5).

Edited by - ToreL on 10/07/2024 12:11:51
Go to Top of Page

derrickoien
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  15:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't thank you enough! I wondered where the name Oien came from. I will review all this. You are amazing.

quote:

The family is described in volume 3 of Bygdebok for Mosvik. Online access is restricted, but I have had a look, and it says that Augustinus was born at Fjellstu, located between Stordrilen and Fjellvatna, and indeed there is a Fjelstua there: Map.

The family is listed under the farm Øyen, described as situated at "Stonga i Meltingvatnet". Meltingvatnet (Melting lake) is easily found on the map, but I am less sure about Stonga. Perhaps it is the same as Storøya, in that case the farm is here: Map. In the 1900 census, Øyen is listed together with Liaunet, also at Meltingvatnet: Map. As I read the book, Andreas owned the farm Øyen from 1875 and onwards. Here is a clipping. Andreas Kristoffersen Øien died at Liaunet in 1908 (#5).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article