All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Sonntag/South Carolina
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jarnice
New on board

Uganda
2 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2004 :  23:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles G. Sonntag was my great-grandfather. He lived in Denmark, SC in 1892. He purchase property and ran a general store in Denmark. That is the beginning and end of all I know about him. Where should I go from here? Thank you.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2004 :  03:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will need to gather all the information you possibly can about Charles G. Sonntag.
The 1900 US census shows him as a private in the military (in a hospital in Cuba?) - lists him as a resident of Denmark, South Carolina, says he was born Nov 1872 in South Carolina and that both his parents were born in Germany.
The 1880 census lists him as a 7 year old in the home of his widowed? mother - T.H. Sontag living with her 7 children in Charleston, South Carolina. You can see an extraction of this 1880 census household by searching at the website http://www.familysearch.org/
The 1870 US census shows the family before his father died. His father's name was Otto Sonntag, he is 46 years old and was born in Prussia (Germany), he is a dyer of cloth. The mother's name is Theresa, she is 36 years old and was also born in Prussia. In 1870 the family is living in Charlestown, South Carolina.
Go to Top of Page

Jarnice
New on board

Uganda
2 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  18:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the posting in 2004, I have learned a lot about the Sonntag family through land and probate records. Charles G. Sonntag died on February 19, 1937 and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. The 1880 census showed his father Otto in a household with of the children, Caroline, in Charleston, SC (with a family of Sasasards). Caroline must have been at her mother's house in Bamberg when the 1880 census was recorded there because she shows up in that household too. I hope I am very close to finding a living relative so that I can find out for certain whether or not Charles G. is my ancestor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article