All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Still looking for Anna Olsen Wamnes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cockatiel
Starting member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  16:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am still trying to locate the birth record of my maternal grandmother Anna Olsen Wamnes. Even if I could locate a baptism or confirmation record on Anna, I feel that would be something, but I have come across nothing, and don't know where to turn to next.

She was born in Kristiania on 6 July, 1884. Her parents were: Anton and Annette Olsen. Annette's maiden name was Gundersen. Anton also used Vamnes or Wamnes as the last name, because the farm in Skiptvet he came from was known as the Vamnes farm.

Anton married Annette on 27 OCT, 1870 in Skiptvet. There were 3 boys born in Skiptvet. Their names were Ole-1871, Gunder-1873 and Nils-1875. The family then moved to Kristiania, where the other 5 children were born. Their names-Karen-1878, Jackob-1882, my grandmother Anna-1884, Bertha-1887(there was a twin boy, but he was stillborn) and finally Inga-June 1890.

In 1890 the family was living at Lakkegaten 28. That was the year my grandmother's mother Annette died (actual date: 21 SEP 1890). She died at the Rikshospitalet at the age of 39, due to peritinitis, due to a ruptured appendix. Anna was 6yrs old at the time of her mother's death.

In 1900, at 16 yrs of age, Anna lived at Uranienborg Terrasse 2, working at a private residence as one of the domestic help.

The following year in 1901, she moved back to the house where her father Anton and sisters Karen, Bertha, and Inga lived. There were also 2 foster daughters to Anton living there, who were Karoline and Josephine Skredsvig. (I also wonder if these two girls were related to the famous painter-Christian Skredsvig). The address of this house was at: Holandsagten 7. This was also the address shown on the probate record index where Anton lived at the time of his death, which was on 23 JUNE, 1915.

Two years later Anna emigrated to America on 23 May, 1903 with Josephine Skredsvig, who accompanied her on the journey to Chicago via Kristiania to Liverpool, then to Quebec and finally to Chicago.

Anna's father Anton was a dissenter from the Lutheran church, and was a member of the Free church of Norway. In fact, he was known as a preacher with the church. I believe he started following the Free church sometime in 1890, when his wife Annette died. Anna however, always remained a member of the Lutheran church of Norway.

Through my research, the only records I have come across in the Norwegian Lutheran church on my grandmother's family, was her mother's death record in the Gronland Church 21 SEP 1890 and her sister Bertha's Confirmation at Kampen Church 12 APR 1903.

I'm hoping maybe you could help me with some information or ideas as to where Anna's birth, christening or confirmation records may be located, as I'm stuck at a brick wall with nowhere to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from someone soon.

Regards,
Cockatiel

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  18:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It always helps to continue in the same original posting or reference it:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2314

Have you checked the Oslo online parish records through Digitalarkivet?

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_fylke=3&idx_kommune=Alle&idx_kilde=Alle&idx_periode=&idx_textsearch=&js=j

No Gronland birth records for 1884 but they are available on microfilm:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=413453&subject_disp=Norway%2C+Oslo%2C+Oslo+%2D+Church+records&columns=*,0,0

Maybe the Mother went back to visit relatives Skiptet in Østfold when Anna was born or went back to have her christened there.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read

I am sure you know alot of this already but just in case.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  21:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll have to organize a search of the various congregations in Oslo, since you seem sure that Anna was born and confirmed there. When I needed to search through various congregations in another Norwegian city I organized my search by size of the church. I searched the largest churches first (and that worked very well for my search). I determined the order for that based simply on the number of microfilms for each as listed in the LDS library catalog.
You could make your list based on alphabetical order, size of congregation, year of organization - anything you choose. Then just start your search, reading carefully. Good luck!.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article