All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Michaelson (finding a Norwegian)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  00:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtime54

So I'm confused. Was the Mechanicsburg property two separate pieces of land?

From memory there is not a description on the last transfer (or is there?) but the one he bought in 188_/1874 was Lot 4 Block 9.

The village of Mechanicsburg has a website you might write the mayor or someone to see if there is a map showing exactly where Lot 4 was located.

Since John Michaelson sold his first property in 1868, was he fibbing in the 1870 census when he listed a $ amount (which exact I forget) for real property of $400 and personal property of $200 or had he purchased something elsewhere or inherited & owned elsewhere?

You might want to see if there is any court record about the foreclosure. In the paper he is named as plaintiff and William Smith et al is defendant. If he sold the property to someone who didn't pay or refused to pay all that was previously agreed to, then he could press the foreclosure.

Edited by - jkmarler on 02/03/2016 20:59:50
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  21:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're probably right that the land description wasn't in the land records. My neighbor scanned them and I didn't look at them closely. BUT the originals show that they are the same tract of land. The first purchase (May 2, 1874) mentions John Michaelson of Mechanicsburg so he already lived there. The second purchase of the same piece of land September 6, 1879 due to that decree in October 1878. They were divorced May 20, 1878.

This is the 1870 map I refer to.

http://usgwarchives.net/maps/illinois/il1875/SANGAMON.JPG

On the map you will see that in the 1870 census they were in Cooper township which is south of Mechanicsburg. This is 2 years after the sale of the Embree property so not the fib maybe. The description of the Embree property is in township 16 which is Gardner? The property description also mentions Sugar Creek but in Gardner you only see Spring Creek. Sugar Creek is predominate in Woodside and Ball townships.

http://sangamon.illinoisgenweb.org/twp-gard.htm

Another thing that I think of is if John gave that pic to his granddaughter Cecil (born 1911) as a child then there would have been a good chance that he is in the 1920 census? I'll check.

You will also notice That Illiopolis is nextdoor to Mechanicsburg. That is where Sarah's father resided at the time of his death.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  01:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the Sangamon map, that is really cool.

I'm copying in the descriptions you posted previously with one correction:

"Embree purchase - All ? of the east half of the southwest quarter of section 38 28 in township 16 North of range 4 west of the third principal meridian that lies east of Sugar Creek ? to contain 3 acres more or less.

Sell to McMullen- So much of the east half of the Southwest quarter of section 28 township 16 North range 4 west of the principal Meridian as lies on the East Side of Sugar Creek, Sangamon County Illinois. Containing 7 acres more or less."

I think you have a misapprehension about the location. This land is not in Gardner township it is in Clear Lake Township. That squiggly line that runs through Section 28 in Clear Lake Township is Sugar Creek and because the course of the creek meanders it runs into the customary dividing lines (each section is divided in half vertically and horizontally) and that is why the piece is so small. Mother Nature got in the surveyor's way.

Here is Wikipedia's description of the survey system which has a few illustrations that might help make this a bit more clear:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System

Edited by - jkmarler on 02/03/2016 18:35:12
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  08:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the survey info! John Michaelson's wife Sarah Lawyer was born in Ohio and I believe her Grandfather and uncles were surveyors. When I read about Ohio it reminded me of them. Now. My cousin took me to see the land by Sugar Creek and it was in Clear Lake but how come that url I posted says that township 16 is Gardner? Does Clear Lake say that it is township 16 somewhere?

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  09:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along the right hand edge, the eastern boundary of Sangamon, are the Township numbers. In the body of the map a new township begins with the number 1. The Township numbers are smaller to the south, larger to the north, so a whole row is 16. Gardner is in the same row as Clear Lake but running in a straight line below the southern boundary are the Range numbers, Gardner is in Range 6 and Clear Lake is in Range 4.

Edited by - jkmarler on 02/03/2016 18:33:33
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  20:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha! Thank you. I don't know much about old maps.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  23:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to research this fellow. He is about the right age to be your John Michaelson but apparently gone home for a visit and here is returning to America:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000573910
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know? Would he change his name to Mikkels in 1906???

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Mikkels with a period so short for Mikkelson...
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this guy changed to the Norwegian spelling because he was coming from there? Do you get multiple notices in your inbox from here?> I got 21 this time.LOL

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You wrote:

"Another thing that I think of is if John gave that pic to his granddaughter Cecil (born 1911) as a child then there would have been a good chance that he is in the 1920 census? I'll check."

So the family tradition is that the grandfather John Michaelson gave the picture to the grandchild Cecil?

From the 1930 census:
John Michaelson Head M 59 Illinois
Elizabeth Michaelson Wife F 43 Illinois
Ruth Michaelson Daughter F 15 Illinois
John Michaelson Son M 13 Illinois
Cecil Michaelson Son M 12 Illinois this one?
James Michaelson Son M 11 Illinois
Gene Michaelson Son M 9 Illinois
Edward Michaelson Son M 5 Illinois
Betty Jean Michaelson Daughter F 2 Illinois

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/03/2016 01:27:02
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what my Mother said? She is no longer living. I got 22 notices this time?

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Cecil was a daughter. Can you stay signed in on this website?

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Success! I think I'm logged in correctly.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtime54

Maybe this guy changed to the Norwegian spelling because he was coming from there? Do you get multiple notices in your inbox from here?> I got 21 this time.LOL

Not sure what's going on with that. I get no notices from this site when there is a new post. Is that something you registered for?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article