All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Michaelson (finding a Norwegian)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I posted before I wasn't logged in and the post asked for my user name and password and then at the end where it says check to unsubscribe.. it said check to be notified of a reply

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! We're up to 24 notices now?

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So on the grid slightly above and to the right of the posts you clicked "subscribe to topic"

This is from the FAQ. I think it tells how to unsubscribe:
Can I be notified by e-mail when there are new posts?

Yes, the Subscription feature allows you to subscribe to the entire Board, individual Categories, Forums and/or Topics, depending on what the administrator of this site allows. You will receive an e-mail notifying you of a post that has been made to the Category/Forum/Topic that you have subscribed to. There are four levels of subscription:

- Board Wide Subscription
If you can subscribe to an entire Board, you'll get a notification for any posts made within all the forums inside that board.

- Category Wide Subscription
You can subscribe to an entire Category, which will notify you if there was any posts made within any topic, within any forum, within that Category.

- Forum Wide Subscription
If you don't want to subscribe to an entire Category, you can subscribe to a single forum. This will notify you of any posts made within any topic, within that forum.

- Topic Wide Subscription
More conveniently, you can subscribe to just an individual topic. You will be notified of any post made within that topic.
Each level of subscription is optional. The administrator can turn On/Off each level of subscription for each Category/Forum/Topic.
To Subscribe or Unsubscribe from any level of subscription, you can use the "My Subscriptions" link, located near the top of each page to manage your subscriptions. Or you can click on the subscribe/unsubscribe icons (Subscribe UnSubscribe) for that Category/Forum/Topic you want to subscribe/unsubscribe to/from.

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/03/2016 01:46:04
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope? I logged in and now there is an option to unsubscribe from this topic....and you don't get notifications in your inbox? That's the only way I can get directly to this topic.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  01:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I checked my subscriptions?? It says that I have a topic subscription to this thread and then underneath it has oldtime54 listed 22 times with unsubscribe off to the right.

Debbie Jacobi

Edited by - oldtime54 on 03/03/2016 08:13:01
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  18:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie,

Cecil (with that spelling) is rather unusual name for a girl (and poor thing it looks like in census after census she is mistaken for a boy). Do you know of any family connection in Elizabeth Downing's family for use of that name on girls? Just a point of curiousity.
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  23:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! She had an uncle Cecil Downing that died because he grew to fast if I remember correctly.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  01:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, good to know.
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  07:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW she hated having a boy's spelled name.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2016 :  21:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is a John Ostrud b abt 1836 in Norway, living in Bloomfield twp, Fillmore county, Minnesota in 1880. A long shot but he might be worth vetting:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ9W-4J6

Ostrud is likely a farm name which means his patronymic is not being used and we don't know what the patronymic is until we find some information about John. The classic Norwegian name includes three elements the given name, the patronymic and the farm name (or address name). Migrants from Norway often use a combination of names during their lifetimes for different circumstance.

This may cut against John Ostrud being John Michaelson as here he is in 1875 Minnesota census as John Ostrant:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKND-WX6

There are several possible spellings for the English version farm name Ostrud. Here is one found in the property search section at the Digitalarkivet:

Østrud 171 Elverum Hedmark Folketelling 1865 for 0427P Elverum prestegjeld
Østrud 199 Nedre Eiker Haug Fiskum Bakke Eiker Buskerud Folketelling 1865 for 0624P Eiker prestegjeld
Østrud Nedre Eiker Haug Fiskum Bakke Eiker Buskerud Folketelling 1865 for 0624P Eiker prestegjeld
Østrud Eie Nedre Eiker Haug Fiskum Bakke Eiker Buskerud Folketelling 1865 for 0624P Eiker prestegjeld
Østrud Eie Nedre Eiker Haug Fiskum Bakke Eiker Buskerud Folketelling 1865 for 0624P Eiker prestegjeld
Østrud 200 Nedre Eiker Haug Fiskum Bakke Eiker Buskerud Folketelling 1865 for 0624P Eiker prestegjeld
Østrud 201 Nedre Eiker Haug Fiskum Bakke Eiker Buskerud Folketelling 1865 for 0624P Eiker prestegjeld
Østrud 26 12 Feiring Øvre Romerike Akershus Folketelling 1910 for 0240 Feiring herred
Østrud 84 16 Elverum Sør-Østerdal Hedmark Folketelling 1910 for 0427 Elverum herred
Østrud 18 10 Vardal Toten Oppland Folketelling 1910 for 0527 Vardal herred
Østrud Under 26 1 Feiring Øvre Romerike Akershus Folketelling 1900 for 0240 Feiring herred

I've highlighted those entries in the 1865 census since that is the record source closest in time to when John Michaelson would have been in Norway.

Here is the confirmation of a Johannes Mikelson b 5 Mar 1835 in Eiker. The farm he was born on is, I think, Stenbergeie so any connection to Østrud farm isn't known:
Source information: Buskerud county, Eiker, Parish register (official) nr. 14 (1846-1854), Confirmation records 1850, page 214.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1076&idx_id=1076&uid=ny&idx_side=-219

Here is a transcription of his marriage, that and 5 o 6 children born Norway take him off the table:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb/vi/person/pv00000000960563

#71 Johan Mikkelson b 17 June 1837
Source information: Hedmark county, Elverum, Parish register (official) nr. 8 (1830-1842), Birth and baptism records 1837, page 61.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9173&idx_id=9173&uid=ny&idx_side=-61

Ole Ostrud / Osterud was among the first to settle in Ostrander township in Fillmore county, Minnesota. According to Nordmændene Ole came from Hurdalen, Norway in 1854. There are several families with Ostrud / Osterud/ Østrud surname have different patronymics including Hanson or Andreason but I didn't see any with Michaelson, so this avenue may or may not be of value re John Michaelson.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/03/2016 20:30:26
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2016 :  01:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie,

Can you retell the story about your John Michaelson getting some other John Michaelson's mail?

Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  05:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! My aunt (my grandmother's sister and daughter of John Marion) said that the John Michaelson in Chicago would get mail for my John Michaelson. Now how she knew that and how a conversation was started with the John Michaelson in Chicago is unbeknownst to me. John Marion's oldest daughter ran off to Chicago and hid from the family. Her name was Claudine. There were gangsters involved in the family history. Family members weren't the gangsters but a couple of the girls were involved with gangsters. Sorry - now the website didn't notify me.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  15:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debbie, you may have unsubscribed from the topic.

The reason this story about getting a different John Michaelson's mail is interesting is because of how the mail is delivered. Now and, I assume. the past the first item read on an address of an envelope is the town line, then the street address if any, then the name. So unless both John Michaelsons were living in Chicago,it's unlikely that he would have gotten a piece of mail addressed to another John Michaelson who lived in Petersburg or some other place. So far we haven't seen two John Michaelsons together in Sangamon county but there certainly could have been two in Chicago a much bigger place. Something to consider.

I found a newspaper mention of your John Michaelson (b 1871), Decatur barber travelling by wheel to Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1897. Have you ever heard of that trip?

Re to other Michaelsons in Sangamon, there was a newspaper mention in the Springfield paper in 1885 of an Andrew Michaelson who was charged with drunkenness. No other details, so could have been anybody but have you ever heard of an Andrew Michaelson?

Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2016 :  05:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how they could have gotten that mail mixed up either. It was John Marion's daughter that told me that? Now the trip on the wheel. This was an interesting family story told by his daughter Ruth to us. She had a little bit of story telling in her make up so Mom wasn't quite sure about it. Ruth said her father took a bike ride to Colorado to see his brother? I've always wondered about it because John Michaelson was awarded custody of THE CHILDREN in the divorce. We only knew of John Marion. Why would someone set out for the Rocky Mountains on a bike in NOVEMBER? I was just now trying to find Michaelsons in Colorado so just starting. I barely found that article, too. I'm not sure who Andrew is?? He's got to be a relation. If Andrew might have been John Marion's brother then he was drinking at an early age.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2016 :  09:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a long shot a death of a John Michaelson born about 1838 dying in Chicago in 1895. The actual certificate may or may not contain more information. The certificate can be ordered and costs about $17.00 online through the Cook County Clerk's site:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N7KM-JJ7
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article