All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Michaelson (finding a Norwegian)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  21:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry wasn't notified again. Doing this reply, I get the option to check here to unsubscribe from this topic so I figure I've subscribed to this topic?? Never will get this BUT I am researching this death now.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
840 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  15:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I just found this quote in an old thread. Do you know if any parish records are preserved from this church, and if so if they are accessible online in any way?

Tore
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

There was one Norwegian Lutheran congregation / church in Sangamon county. It was called "Springfield Menighet" It was formed about 1876 and was still in operation in 1890 when it had 70 members. The first pastor was H.C. Wynneken until 1890 and the next was J. Nordby.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  17:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there are any they would likely be with the church if still in operation today or possibly with the ELCA pastoral acts databases at Ancestry.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9283 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  23:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not find a church for either Springfield or Sagamon County in the Ancestry data base

U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1781-1969
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2019 :  16:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for looking. The man is still a mystery.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9283 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2019 :  17:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did find this record in Ancestry. I did not have the heart to go through the previous 7 pages to see if it had already been posted.

John Mikelson
in the Illinois, Compiled Marriages, 1851-1900
Name: John Mikelson
Spouse Name: Sarah Jane Lauyer
Marriage Date: 16 Sep 1865
Marriage County: Sangamon
Comments: This record can be found at the County Court Records located at Springfield, IL.
Go to Top of Page

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2019 :  05:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!!! I have that marriage certificate and I can see how the transcriber saw Lauyer instead of Lawyer. That's pretty much all I know about this man. That he married my grandmother and then divorced her.

Debbie Jacobi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2021 :  10:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is a Sarah Michaelson aged about 30 years living in Sangamon county, Illinois in 1880:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXKF-WW1

She apparently has a baby named Theodore Michaelson aged 1 month. Have you ever heard of this child?

There are a couple of family trees which identify another son of John Michaelson and Sarah Lawyer as this person named William Mickles. This is his SS application transcription:

Name: William Mickles
Race: White
Birth Date: 20 Sep 1877
Birth Place: Near Mechani, Illinois
Father:
John Mickles
Mother:
Sarah Lawyer
SSN: 561073549
Notes: Apr 1937: Name listed as WILLIAM MICKLES

On his WWII draft registration card his birth place is listed as Mechanicsburg, Illinois.

William Mickles lived with his wiife and in-laws in the 1900 census in Macoupin county, Illinois. At the time of his marriage he was living in Virden, Illinois. In 1910 census, he and his family are in Yakima county, Washington. They were in Yakima to at least 1913. By 1918 they are in Fresno county, California. William died on 3 Nov 1947 in Fresno county, California. Looking for clues about John Michaelson but William is apparently not informed. The birthplace given for his father in 1900 is Illinois and United States for the other census years.

Anyway, here is rendering of a name like Mickles also at Virden in FAG which wasn't up the first time this topic was popular:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/186756564/john-micklus

There are two John Michaelson who appear to be the same man one from the 1880 census (age is off by 5 years) and 1900 (age is off by 4 years). The reason I think they might be the same man is that their marital statuses kind of match and they are proximate to the known location of John Michaelson, and they may be the same man since they have the same occupation in nursery or "nursery stock."

In 1900 this John is living in Peoria, Illinois and in 1880 in Logan county. Logan county borders Sangamon county, Peoria is a couple of counties away.

Here is the 1900 census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS41-F9Q

Here is the 1880 census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXV6-6L6

In the 1900 census, the year of migration given is 1850. I checked Volume 5 of the Norwegian Immigrants to the United States: A biographical directory 1850 but found no John / Johan/ Johannes/ Jon/ Jens / Michaelson / Mikkelsen/ Miklesen/ in the index. Likewise no Michaelson from the parishes of Nerstrand, Nes (Hedmark), Spydeberg, and Hedrum.

But there is a John Nicolson, born Denmark abt 1837 in Sangamon county in 1860:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MXHK-FVL

And another or the same John Nicolson b 1839 Denmark:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6WJ-BRP

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/11/2021 23:17:33
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2021 :  08:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It would be interesting to research this fellow. He is about the right age to be your John Michaelson but apparently gone home for a visit and here is returning to America:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/8/pe00000000573910

Apparently, the American resident leaving Norway was headed to Milnor in North Dakota:
Name: Johannes Mikkelsen
Marital status: Single
Birth Date: abt 1836
Last Known Residence: Kr Jania
Departure Port: Liverpool, England
Arrival Date: 22 Jul 1906
Arrival Port: New York, New York, USA
Final Destination: Millnor, North Dakota
Ship Name: Cedric

According to the 1900 census at Milnor, this Johannes migrated to US in 1872. In the 1880 census he and his family were in Freeman Crawford county, Wisconsin.

Edited by - jkmarler on 30/10/2021 09:09:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article