All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Looking for birthplace of Oluf Marinus Johnson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GIGI
Starting member

7 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  04:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY grandfather is said to have been born in Tromso (or at sea under an American flag) ,to have served to the trade of tinsmith in Tromso for 4 years and then to have been at sea for 14 years. All I know for sure is that he was in Southern Mississippi USA by 1905, working for the railroad. I have been told he had two beautiful sisters who lived in the Chicago, Ill. USA area in the early 1900's. He lists his birthday as July 4, 1873 on his railroad retirement papers and he died in 1944 in Mississippi. His railroad retirement papers lists his father as John and his mother as Mary. He gives his fathers birthplace as Norway and his Mothers birthplace as Ireland. His 3 known children's names were:
Harald Sigard Johnson
Olaf Marinus Johnson, Jr.
Cecile Johnson
That's all I know, would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  15:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked for females with Mary/Mari as part of their given names who were listed as born in Ireland. I did this search in the 1875 census database (online version not complete). I could find two -
One living in Tromsø -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f71902&variabel=0&postnr=1820&fulle=true&spraak=n
The other in Asker (close to Oslo) -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f70220.wc2&variabel=0&postnr=1504&fulle=true&spraak=n
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  18:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The names of the rest of the Tromsø family doesn't fit, but so does the Asker one, though Ole (Oluf?) is born in 1866?

Here's the same lady in 1900 - now a widow livimg in Kristiania (Oslo):

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f00301.wc2&variabel=0&postnr=145902&fulle=true&spraak=n

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

GIGI
Starting member

7 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  19:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much,
Have printed these out and now have to try and translate. I am VERY new to Norway searching and very grateful to be here.
According to the 1920 Us Census OM Johnson immigrated to the US in 1897, it also says his Mother was from Ireland and her language was english. His Railroad retirement papers (completed by him) say he was born at sea under the American Flag. The 1930 US census says he was born in New York. He himself said ,in a Newspsper article written about him ,that he was born In Tromso Norway.
Thank you for your interest.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2004 :  23:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's OK - the confusion doesn't stop there. In the 1910 US census he lists that he was born at sea and his father was from Ireland, mother from Norway....
Was he a member of the Lutheran church?
Go to Top of Page

GIGI
Starting member

7 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  01:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will call my only cousin and see if she knows about his religion, she is older than me and knew him. The wife, my grandmother was Southern Baptist. Her father was a Baptist minister.. I did notice the confusion about which of his parents was Irish. I'm guessing it is just an error by the census taker,the 1930 US census says, he was born in New York, his father born in Norway, and his Mother born in N. Ireland. I KNOW for a fact he was indeed born!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  02:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there's another entry in the 1875 census for Tromsø that I'd like to point out to you.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f71902&variabel=0&postnr=4772&fulle=true&spraak=n

I saw it much earlier but the reference to the family as being Baptist made me hesitate. The father has Johan as part of his given name (often changed to John), the mother has Marie as her first given name. The son is born about 1874/1875 and has the right given names. The son is not listed with the typical patronymic in this census but he could also have used a variation on Johanson or Johnson as a name. I don't know what the father's occupation, Bødkersvend, means.
Go to Top of Page

GIGI
Starting member

7 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  05:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I had feared my Cousin didn't know about our grandfather's religion. She didn't remember if he went to church or not. He was an old man in her memories and she did remember he had nice hair and that he liked to sing. She said he had a heavy accent.
Go to Top of Page

askeroi

Norway
299 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  07:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bødker/bødtker/bøkker is a cooper, barrel maker, and a svend in this connection is a learner - he hasn't become a master yet, he hasn't passed his examen.

But this doesn't seem to be the right family to me - both surname and age is wrong. And though the age info often isn't too exact, the listed one is newborn - in his first year - while the one we're looking for is in his third - and I can't see anybody mistaking that, especially as the couple has another child born the actual year 1873...

askeroi
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2004 :  16:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gigi - If he was born at sea - we couldn't know exactly when, where (and IF) they had the child baptised. But if he lived his early years in Tromsø and IF he was a member of the Lutheran church then - you have a chance that he went through confirmation in his teenage years. Consider going through the microfilms of the Tromsø church records and looking for his confirmation record. That record often recorded more details about his baptism and parents.
Check the with LDS library catalog to find what Tromsø, Troms parish records they have available on microfilm.
Go to Top of Page

GIGI
Starting member

7 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2004 :  04:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still trying to make sense of the info I've been given (Thank You)
I have found 2 Possible Olaf Johnsons. At the Ellis Island site
They are about the right ages and could fit the info I have.
# 1--April 24, 1904--Olaf Johnson aged 34 M M carpenter
Liverpool, point of departure, says he is an American Citizen! and Scand. came on the ship Majestic
Place of Residence Christianstand arrived in Brooklyn NY
#2--Feb 4, 1904--Olaf Johnson S Ethnicity USA Place of
residence Hehengborg
Ship name Oceanic departure place Liverpool
Go to Top of Page

GIGI
Starting member

7 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  05:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just KNOW that the answers lie in the Digitalarkivet , but I just don't understand how to find them. I have looked at the Seamens Roll's for Tromso, in the right time frame but I don't think that I found him. I really feel like he must have been in Tromso (even if he was born at sea ,under the american flag ,in New York) Maybe his family came to America and then went back to Norway. He told the newspaper that he came from Tromso. I am hoping to go to Mississippi to do some research soon,after this Hurricane Frances gets through with her destruction! I will try looking at old newspapers on Microfilm to see if I can find anymore written about him in 1905.
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  06:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi If you haven't already, you should get copies of his marriage and death certificates, obiturary, naturalization papers, or anything that might tell you what his fathers full name was and his mother's maiden name. His father's name in Norway would probably not have been Johnson since they followed the patronymic naming system. Knowing his last name would give you more information to search on.
Good Luck Carla
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article