All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Rissa & Stadsbygd, Sør-Trøndelag, Nostbraettingen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  20:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In researching the area (Rissa & Stadsbygd, Sør-Trøndelag)and farm in Norway where my ancestors are from, I was unable to find the name of the farm as "Nostbraettingen" or "Nost", or anything similar at a site (below) that lists farms sorted by county and municipality ... any idea why? The database says that the farms are listed by the names they had in the 1886 land register (from NHDC), and that the spelling of the farm names is like it was in the land records from 1886. Anyone know whether there is some different spelling or name that I should be looking for? Thanks !
Slektsforskerbasen
municipality.http://www.disnorge.no/sfbasen/index.php

Carra Johnson

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  20:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name is "Nøst" with an "Ø" not "O"

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  21:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Borge, nice to see you!
Yes, I know that, just don't know how to make my keyboard do it right yet ... I have tried to follow the instructions on this site for achieving it, but no success so far! However, the listings on the site are already written out, so it is not a matter of my entering it into a search incorrectly. On that site, when you select "Risse", and click on the farms icon, you get a list of all the farms, and it doesn't appear there. I checked Stadsbygd also, and not there either. I did find one in called "Naust" in Risse and checked it out just in case it was just a spelling thing, but it does not appear to be related. The site states that they have not yet included the farms from the "cities". Could that be the reason it isn't listed? (Seems unlikely, but ...) Are you familiar with the site?

Carra Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  00:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Naust would 'sound like' it would be right. Why do feel it appears not related?
Go to Top of Page

carraj
Medium member

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  20:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further research in another source since my initial post has changed my first impression, as this information seems to indicate that it definitely IS related ... "81. Naust. Udt. naust. -af Naustom AB. 63. Nausta (Acc.) AB. 63 s. Nøste NRJ. II 42. Nosthe DN. X 792 c. 1550. Nøste 1559. 1618. Nøst 1723.f., Flt. af naust n., Nøst (Indl. S. 68)." I found this on a wonderful site (for my family history) at http://www.haarsager.org/stadsbygd/Rygh.htm
I have to figure out now exactly what this all means, but I think now that this may definitely refer to my "Nøstbraettingen", agree?

82. Kraaknes. Udt. krå:2knés. -Krogesness NRJ. II 42. Krogenes 1559. Krognæss, Kraagnæss 1723.

ste Led er vel kráka f., enten som Fuglenavn eller som Kvindenavn. Om Elvenavn kan der ikke være Tale, da der intet andet Vandløb er i Nærheden end Strømmen mellem Botnen og Fjorden.

Carra Johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article