All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Family from Aal, Buskerud, Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Paulson
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  20:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for my family who are from the Hallingdal valley in Buskerud Fylke, Norway. My Great Great Grandpa, Knut Paulson, immigrated to America from Hallingdal, Norway in 1858. His parents were Paul & Magnel (Knutsdatter) Peterson. He was born 6 May 1835 and died 17 May 1927. I'm just wondering if my Great Great Grandpa had any brothers/sisters?? So if I could find out some info from Norway...then I could find out the info I'm looking for. That's all the info I know about my Great Great Grandpa when he lived in Norway.

Thanks,

John

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2005 :  23:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know their farm name? The names you have are very common. There is alot of information on Hallingdal but without a farm name.

This is an organization for hallingdal research:

http://www.fellesraad.com/hallinglag.htm

Lookup volunteers:

www.rootsweb.com/~bwo/norway.html

Posting on Hallingdal message boards may yield results.

This may be a real stretch in the 1865 census but it is a clue:

click here

Magnild Knutsdatter is obviously on a second marriage, if son Erik was Niels' son, then he would not be Erik Pauls. I am not an expert on rural inheritance laws, but in order to keep the farm ownership/lease, a widow would have to remarry in a certain period of time and these differences in ages was not uncommon. She would have been 21 in 1835.
Go to Top of Page

John Paulson
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  05:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for finding some info for me. Unfortunately, all I know is that my Great Great Grandpa's father's name was Peterson. So I have no idea what their farm name was?? I wish I knew these things...it would make this all alot easier. Unfortunately, I have no one in my family who would know either...which really sucks?? Once again thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2005 :  15:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seen to have a fairly solid birthday - and the location of Ål in Buskerud. You could order the microfilm(s) of births/baptisms from the Ål prestegjeld (clerical district) and scan through those. Check at your nearest LDS Family History Center for how you can order and use the films.
I've been using their resources to go back through earlier family history work - going through the church records one film at a time and also adding siblings to my family tree. My work is no where near Ål or Buskerud but the careful work through the church records has been very interesting - I've gathered much additional information for my research files. I recommend it to you.
If you haven't used Norwegian church records before - I also recommend the following article for 'how-to' advice. http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Actually the entire collection is worth your time - http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
Go to Top of Page

gera
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  19:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knud Poulsen born 6-5-1835 christend 28-5-1835 Hol Kirke perents Poul Pedersen og Magnil Knudsdatter. Trere is a farmname but I can`t read it.
Cource: Digitalarkivet - skannede kirkebøker- Buskerud - Minestralbok Ål 1825-1848 page 65 nr 74. Hope this is a little help.
Gera

gera

Edited by - gera on 07/01/2007 20:00:04
Go to Top of Page

gera
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  19:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poul Pedersen Larsgaard , Søndre Berg farm age 47 years father : Peder Larsen merried 29-3-1834 Hol Kirke Magnil Knudsdatter Øen age 20 years father : Knud Knudsen

Knud had at least one brother: Peder Poulsen born 6-12-1837 christend 14-1-1838 Hol Church

Gera

gera

Edited by - gera on 07/01/2007 20:20:10
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  12:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little correction:
Poul Pedersen, Larsgaard (born on Søndre Berg or Berg Søre) and Magnil Knudsdatter Øen (also born there) were married 29-3-1835 not 1834, note the remark "Nytt kirkeaar" close to the top of page 284.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

gera
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  17:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right! Sorry, I will look closer next time.

gera
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article