All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Eng Family---In Norway and the US
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hollyjoy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  10:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all-

I am trying, without much luck, to find any information on my GG-Grandparents. All I have been able to find is them leaving Norway on the Albion for Hull, England...and leaving Hull for New York. I then loose them in the US as well until 1898 when their adopted daughter marries my G-Grandfather.
Here is what I know-
Johan Antone Eng (John in US)
Gina Eng
Leave Aug 5, 1870 from Oslo

They arrive in the US on the Bativia of Glasgow (New York). I believe they may have stayed in NY but I haven't been able to locate them there anywhere. They adopt a girl who is born October 1, 1875. She is "rumored" to be the daughter of one of Gina's sisters. Her name is Virginia Margareth Eng. I don't know if they name her or when they adopted her. I have found information that states she was born in Norway and New York so I'm not sure which is true.
I'm hoping to find informaiton on the family in Norway...as well as what I can in their early years in the US.
My G-Grandfather (Caspar Heinreich Lutterkord) Casper Henry Lutterkort meets Virginia in NY and they marry in Birmingham, AL in 1898. They all end up in San Francisco by 1901.
Johan (John) Eng and Caspar were both tailors...I'm guessing that had something to do with my G-Grandparents meeting. Any help...or research suggestions will be very much appreciated. I've been researching for 8 years now and am pretty good at it...but this has just stumped me. I really find the research in Norway very confusing!.....
Thanks so much in advance!
Holly

kaare n
Medium member

Norway
114 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  13:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Holly.

Here is what is written in the census 1865
Name g= married Birth year birth place
Johan Anton Engh g Skræddermester 1834 Hølland

Born Gina Sørensen
Gina Engh* f Sørensen hans Kone g 1838 Næs Rommerige

I try to put in the link

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0301&kenr=0402&bnr=0422&lnr=000

Kåre in Norway
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  15:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their entry in the emigration register for Oslo/Kristiania, on or about 5 Aug 1870 lists Johan Anton Eng as a tailor with stated destination New York.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=19245&sokefelt=skjul
The entry in the 1865 Norwegian census that Kåre located offers an alternative spelling of Engh, again lists Johan as a tailor and gives you birthplaces for each. Johan born ca. 1834 in "Hølland" [Høland, Akershus, Norway] and Gina born ca. 1838 in "Næs Rommerige" [Nes, Akershus, Norway].
The 1880 US census shows "John Engh", born ca. 1834 in Norway, occupation Tailor - living in Brooklyn, New York.
Census Place Brooklyn, Kings (Brooklyn), New York City-Greater, New York
Family History Library Film 1254846
NA Film Number T9-0846
Page Number 446D

Study of some of the excellent 'how-to' articles about Norwegian genealogy research should help you overcome your 'confusion'.
You'll find some help under the "Links" on this webpage, including links to helpful word translation lists. The group of articles that helped me most when I was beginning was
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
AND of course, a couple of the word translations lists.

Above I added in brackets [ ] more detail about the Norway birthplaces. The spellings I used will match the LDS library catalog and allow you to easily look for what materials are available through LDS for research in those areas.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  16:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That 1865 census page is a great source of clues -- 'Gina' born 'Sørensen' in 'Næs Rommerige' is listed above a couple of other 'Sørensen's with the same birthplace listing - high probability that they are her siblings.
The younger girl, Gustava Sørensen/Sørensdatter, appears in the birth/baptisms of Nes, Akershus for the year 1848/1849 with parents Søren Nilsen & Gorine?? Dorthea Christensdatter of Næs.
Source: Akershus fylke, Nes, Ministerialbok nr. I 7 (1846-1858), Fødte og døpte 1849, side 96. (item 15)
Link: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=534&idx_id=534&uid=ny&idx_side=-100

The same set of parents have a daughter listed 'Ingine Oline Sørensdatter' born 18 Sep 1837.
Source: Akershus fylke, Nes, Ministerialbok nr. I 6 (1833-1845), Fødte og døpte 1837, side 94. (item 67)
Link: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=533&idx_id=533&uid=ny&idx_side=-97
Go to Top of Page

hollyjoy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All-
Thanks so much! I really appreciate all your help with such a great breakthrough. I never really considered a variation in the spelling of ENG. I had thought about it when I first began my research but when I found them leaving Norway as ENG and found them as ENG in San Francisco (and also family information) I though any name change occured while they were still in Norway.
I don't have direct access to the 1880 census to verify if the Johan Engh listed is actually mine....but will do that as soon as I can.
It's so exciting to now have them found in Norway....I feel like there is actually hope I will find more about them. I'd also like to find out why Emilie Dahl was travelling with them.....
I spent all day reading the information in the links that you all provided...and will have to do so again. I'm still really confused and I'm having problems understainding how to get the Norwegian websites to work....but I'll get it eventually.
I guessing that the young men listed in the 1865 census were tailor apprentices? An interesting connection is that his son-in-laws partner in his San Francisco tailor shop was a man named Olsen.... maybe there will prove to be a connection at some point.
Thanks again for all your help.... you've been great!

Holly
Go to Top of Page

hollyjoy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  08:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello again!

Well, I was able to verify that the John Engh in the 1880 Census was not mine......but I will keep him in my files just in case.

I did find this-and it matches the information provided by Hopkins

Johan Antone Eng
Ingine Oline Sorensen
26 Oct 1858
Trefoldighet Menighet, Oslo, Akershus, Norway

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M428332 1858 - 1874 0255761 Film NONE

Can anyone tell me if this could possibly be "Gina".....and what
Trefoldighet Menighet is.....

I'll be up all night looking for information with this new name....

I sure wish my family had kept better records! UGH!

Holly

I don't have a marriage date for them.....

hollyjoy
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  14:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like something you found at familysearch.org??? That is a marriage record, the screen display explains that. You DO have a marriage date for that couple now.
Johan Antone Eng
Ingine Oline Sorensen
26 Oct 1858
Trefoldighet Menighet, Oslo, Akershus, Norway
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M428332 1858 - 1874 0255761 Film NONE

I thought that was "Gina" when I first sent you the link to her birth/baptismal record. Many emigrants took the opportunity to use different names in their new location. Some tried a series of 'new' names before finally settling on one.

Menighet is a word you'll find in those translation lists. Means Parish/sub-parish or congregation so that is listing the name of the church in Oslo where the marriage took place. LDS has listed the microfilm (#0255761) where that church book is archived in their collection. That record is also included in the scanned church books that are a new feature of the Digitalarkivet website.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~stromgen/digitalarkivet/Tips/Tips.htm
Go to Top of Page

hollyjoy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  05:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins-
Thanks again for another great link.....it's not always easy to find these helpful items.
I do have to admit I'm a bit rusty....it's been a couple of years since I've done any research....I had run into a wall...and have a demanding job so I had to lay off the research for awhile.
I have to familiarize myself with all my names and dates again.

Do you happen to know anything about Norwegian adoptions? I did locate some information on Cyndi's List....just thought I'd ask... I have read it was common for children to be given to other family members to raise...

Thanks again for all your help. I've had some great new discoveries in the last few days.... it's what keeps me going!!

Holly

hollyjoy
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  13:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norwegian adoptions? Why? The couple left Norway without a child.... and 5 years before you say the girl was even born...

There are a great many helpful online collections concerning Norway genealogy and ancestry -
http://www.cyndislist.com/norway.htm
Go to Top of Page

hollyjoy
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  06:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just "family gossip" saying she was born in Norway..... covering all the bases, I guess. Rumor has it she was the born to a sister of Gina's.

hollyjoy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article