All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 searching for Norlie's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi! My name is Michelle and I maried into the Norlie family a year ago. Shortly after getting married I started on my husbands family history. It has been slow going and I need quite a bit of help. I was exstatic when I found this web site!!

Here is where what I know and where I get stuck. I'm searching for Adolph Norlie who was born in 1879 in Norway. He married Mina nee Olson in 1904 in Norway. They had two daughters Helga (later changed to Helen) and Olga, who were both born in Norway. In 1908 Adloph and his brother-in-law Adolph RUM came to North Dakota. Later Mina and her two dtrs. followed. They were only there until 1909 when Adolph and his BIL went to Alberta, Canada to start a homestead. Mina and the girls followed in the spring of 1910. Adolph and Mina then had two boys and a girl born to them in Canada.

I know the last name Norlie was NORDLIE befor they came to America. What I can't figure out is where in Norway Adolph and Mina were born, who their parent's are and how many children they had. I know Adolph had to have a sister but I dont have any information on her or their parents. I know there is a farm called ROM and one called NORDLIE in Loten, Hedmark.

I'm not sure how to get information on those farms or how to even search Norweigen records of any kind. I would love to share what ever information I have and compare notes with other people. Please let me know if you have any information that might help me search this family line. I really appreciate it and sorry this is so long.

Thanks,
Michelle

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  20:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Adolf Kariniussen Nordli (born 05 APR 1874) from Løiten left Oslo on April 14th, 1908; link

Adolf Nordli (33y, b.1875) arrived with the ship "The Lucania" on April 25th, 1908, sailing from Liverpool. His residence now reads Elverum. link
Destination reads "Brother-in-law Mr. Adolf Rom in Denbigh, ND.
Adolf Rom (38) from Denbigh, N. D. also arrived on the same date.

Here is Adolf Karinussen in census 1900 for Løiten, Hedmark, Norway. Place of birth is Elverum, Hedmark.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/09/2005 20:26:38
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  20:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This appears to be Adolf in the 1900 census, birthplace Elrum:

click here

This organization can help you:

http://www.nhohlag.org/

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 26/09/2005 20:32:19
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  20:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Elverum microfilm church records can be rented at a local Family History Center:

click here
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  21:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mina Norlie (b.03 AUG 1884), Helga Norlie (b. 14 NOV 1905) and Olga Norlie (b. 31 MAY 1908) emigrated from Kristiania (=Oslo) to North Dakota on September 24th, 1909. link
They went on pre-paid tickets, and Mina's destination reads "To her husband"...

Mina Narlie and the two girls arrived on Ellis Island on Oct 05, 1909, with the ship United States. Mina's fathers name is written on the manifest, but it's hard to read. It looks like Ole Evensen(?), Løiten.

If that's the case, then here she is in census-1900 for Løiten, Hedmark: click here
Parents are Ole Evensen Kildal and Mathea Pedersdatter Kildal on the Kildal øvre farm.

According to Familysearch.org, Emma born 24 May 1877, christened 09 Sep 1877 looks to be a sister to Mina. From the census, Pauline is also a sister, and she have a brother named Ole.
Anne, Olaf and Mathilde are foster childs. Anne Mortensdatter is a pauper.

Adolph Norlie's father can probably be found in the 1865-census for Elverum (or Løiten), Hedmark. If in Elverum, his first name must be spelled Karinus. Carinus and Karinius are possible extra variants in Løiten only.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/09/2005 21:54:09
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  21:55:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Rom, born 1891: emigrant in 1908

She is a foster-sister of Mina Olsen, born 1884, on Kildal in Løten in 1900 census: Kildal 1900

Perhaps Anne was a daughter of Adolf W H Rom (28): emigrant in 1880

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2005 :  22:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arriving in New York on July 28th 1908, Anne Rom (born 04 JUN 1891) states that her closest relative is uncle Ole Olsen, Kildal, Løiten. Her father paid the ticket, and his name is listed as Adolf O. Rom, Star P.O., North Dakota.
So this Anne is probably daughter of Adolph Nordlie's travelling companion.
This could be Anne's father Adolf Olsen(?) Rom, emigrating in April 1892, when he realized that he was a father...

I think this Adolph Rum aka Adolf Olsen Rom must be Minas brother!! Ie. that he is a son of Ole Evensen Kildal and Mathea Pedersdatter!
(And not as you are indicating, that Mr. Rum would be married to Mr. Nordlie's sister.)

Anne Rom states in her Ellis Island manifest that her uncle is Ole Olsen Kildal, which is Minas brother...
And that means that Anne is living by her grandparents in the 1900 census.... Her father emigrated to the US in 1892... But where is her mother?

And that makes Adolph Rum Adolph Nordlie's brother-in-law....!
Thus, Adolph Nordlie doesn't need to have any siblings...

A possibility for Adolph Nordlie's parents in the 1900-census for the Nordli farm Elverum:
Karinus Sørlie (b. 1844) and Maren Martinusdatter (b. 1855).
The funny thing is that their last name in the census is Sørlie, which is the oppsite of Nordlie...
Sørlie means "southern hillside", while Nordlie means "northern hillside"...
Link to census

Karinus is a shoemaker, and here is a shoemaker with the right age that fits in the 1865 census. This Karinus Knudsen is a son of Oleanne Larsdatter. His father Knud could be dead, or he could be an illegitimate child. Embret Gulbrandsen is his stepfather.

...and from the Norwegian Landregister of 1886:
--------------------------------------
County: Hedmark
Muncipality: Elverum
Parish: Elverum
Land number: 175
(Old Land number: 177)
Farm name: Nordli
--------------------------------------

Owner: Karinus Knudsen Sørli!!

From LDS: Karinus Knudsen, Birth: 22 SEP 1843, Christening: 12 NOV 1843, Elverum, Hedmark, Norway.
Parents: Knud Arnesen & Oliane Larsdatter

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/09/2005 01:26:41
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  02:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christening record from Løten parish, December 26th 1905:
Helga, born Nov. 14th. (Note: No. Dak. 23/9-09).
Parents: Adolf Kariniussen Nordli (b.1874) & Mina Olsdatter (b.1884). (Parents married 13-Nov-1905)
Residence: Solbergsengen

Confirmation record from Løten parish, October 1st, 1899:
Mina Olsdatter Solbergseie. Born 03-Aug-1884, Christening 28-Sep-1884. Residence: Solbergseie.
Parents: Ole Evensen & Mathea Pedersdatter.

Marriage record from Løten parish, November 13th, 1905:
Adolf Kariniussen Nordli & Mina Olsdatter Solbergengen.
He is born on Nordli, Elverum 1874, she is from Solbergengen, born 1884.
His father: Karinius Andersen Svenstuen, Aamot
Her father: Ole Evensen Solbergengen.

His father's name is hard to read... see what you get out of it! (Marriage record #26 here)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/09/2005 20:53:45
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  19:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I'm still a little fuzzy on the whole Brother in law thing between Adolf Norlie and Adolf Rom. I guess I'm just understanding the way you explained HOW they are related if Adolf Norli has no siblings. Could you explaine that one more time for me?

Also, are there any death dates accompanied with these names?

You are all awesome! Thank you so much for all your help! Have a great day! :)

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  20:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michelle,

first of all; you start of this topic by saying "I know Adolph had to have a sister..."

Question: How do you know that?

Is it because Adolph Norlie had a brother-in-law named Adolph Rum, and you expect that this Mr. Rum is married to Norlie's sister?

Because I don't think so. I'm not saying that Adolph Norlie did NOT have any siblings, because I don't know that. I don't even know his parents... But I think this Adolph Rum is born Adolf Olsen, and that he is Mina's brother! That would also make Mr Rum Adolph Norlie's brother-in-law.

Because:
Anne Rom (born 04 JUN 1891) states in her Ellis Island manifest from July 28th 1908, that her closest relative is uncle Ole Olsen, Kildal, Løiten.
He must be the 12 year old boy from Kildal øvre farm in census 1900, and he is Mina's brother. Thus; Mina is Anne's aunt.

Anne's father paid the ticket, and his name is listed as Adolf O. Rom, Star P.O., North Dakota. The "O" must/could be short for Olsen, and would make this Adolf an older brother to Mina and Ole.

So; Adolph Norlie is married to Adolph Rom's sister; = his brother in law...

Of course; Adolph Norlie can have brothers or sisters, but there is no proof of that yet...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/09/2005 20:22:39
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  20:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the register of emigrated people in the Løiten churchbook;

Year=1892, destination=Amerika.
Widower Adolf Olsen Rom, born 1869, confirmation 1883, married 7-Feb-1891.

Wonder if his wife could have died in childbed, when she was giving birth to Anne...?

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/09/2005 20:47:09
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  20:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get it now! DUH!! Sorry about that. That does make sense. I definately think you are on the right track with Adolf Rom/ Olsen and Mina being the uncle and aunt of Anne Rom.

In a brief family Bio it states: " In 1908 Dad (Adolph norlie) and his Brother-in-law, Adolph Rum decided to come to america to seek their fortune. They arrived in N.Dakota near Minot along the Morise River. A short time after mother (Mina norlie) came with her daughters, she was to stay with Mr. Rum's borther and family. In the later part of 1909 dad and Mr. Rumcame to Alberta."

I guess I just assumed that Alf Norlie (Adolph and Mina's son) who wrote that would have specified that "Mr. Rum" was Mina's brother if that was the case. But I suppose that's not really pertinant info. when trying to keep things "short and sweet". :-) Now, in that little paragraph it says that Mina and her daughters were to stay with Mr. Rum's brother and family. Could they be Mina's family as well? Or could there be another connection I'm not making? :-)

Let me know what you think. Thank you again for all your help!

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  22:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Isn't Adolf a brother to Mina after all?

From Familysearch.org:
Adolf Olsen
Birth: 02 Feb 1869
Christening: 04 Apr 1869, Loten, Hedmark, Norway
Parents: Ole Nielsen og Agnete Olsddatter
Link

Census 1865 for Løiten, Hedmark:
Farm: Rom søndre
Ole Nielsen, housefather, farmer, married, 38, born in Toten (Stange)
Agnette Olsdatter, his wife, married, 37, born in Stange
Arndt Necolai Olsen, son, 7, Stange
Ole Olsen, son, 5, Løiten
Teodor Olsen, son, 3, Løiten
Anne Olsdatter, his mother, widow, 75, Stange
Link

Ole Olsen Rom (22) from Løiten emigrates to Pelican Rapids in 1884: Link

This could be the brother Adolph Rom is referring to!

Adolph's ticket in 1892 was prepaid in the US..., maybe by brother Ole Olsen Rom?

So the recently established link to "sister" Mina is broken... They can't be siblings after all...!
I think we need to find who he wedded in 1891..., could he have married an older sister to Mina? Emma and Pauline are to young to be married in 1891...
Hmmm! There must be a missing link here...!

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/09/2005 23:03:19
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2005 :  23:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michelle,
the missing link is found!

From Løten bygdebok 2 under Rom søndre:
Adolf Olsen Rom b.1869 married Anne Olsdatter Solbergsengen b.1870 in 1891!

Anne Olsdatter Solbergsengen must be Mina's sister!

I would guess that Anne died in childbed, and that the newborn girl was named after her. And the young girl is a fosterchild at her grandparents house (Anne Olsdatter's parents) in census-1900.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/09/2005 23:15:15
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  00:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,
here is an interesting topic @ Rootsweb..., have you read this?

The post is from 1999 from someone name Laurie...

And with regards to the recurrent farmname Solbergsengen, when the 1900 census shows them living on the Kildal øvre farm. It's the same farm!

The main farm in the area is Solberg øvre (landnumber 255, titlenumber 1). Kildal/Kjeldal øvre has (landnumber 255, titlenumber 5).
Solbergsengen ("The Solberg meadow") must be an old name derived from the main farm, and at some time (between 1866-1886) they must have decided to change the fame name to Kildal. In census-1865 the farmname is Solbergsengen. In the Landregister of 1886 and 1950 it's spelled Kjeldal. Census 1900 says Kildal.
Solbergseie would be another name for Solbergsengen.
And even though they changed the name, the old name would probably be in use for decades to come verbally...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/09/2005 01:08:23
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  01:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband and I came across that just last week. I printed it off that night. I was going to mention it but wasn't sure if it would help us any. If I could get the translation for : "Fodt i solbergsengen af foraeldrene...." That might tell us something I'm not sure. I should contact her and give her what I have if she has not had any luck. Maybe we are related to her somehow. She said it was her Grandmother or something like that.

Anyway, I have a photo copy of some pics that our grandma Norlie gave me. There is some stuff written in Norweigen (I assume) that I haven't been able to get translated. Maybe this will tell us something.

"hir ser dir far og mar og mim yugste lerar (leror/ leron) de andre kinder de."
"her sender jig eo lirllide of bestemor og bistifar og ole og dronningen og family."

The writing is in cursive and its very shakey handwriting so I hope I got that all right. Our Grandma Norlie said that the pictures were of Mina, Adolf, their 5 kids (Helga/Helen, Olga, Melvin, Anna, and Alfe). There is an older photo that has nothing written near it and Grandma wasn't sure who all was in it. But there are 2 men, 2 women and 3 kids in the photo. I can try and upload them if that would help.

I'm so glad this is all coming together! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article