All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 searching for Norlie's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  01:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
"Fodt i solbergsengen af foraeldrene...." can be translated into "Born on Solbergsengen by the parents..."

"hir ser dir far og mar og mim yugste lerar (leror/ leron) de andre kinder de."
Here you see (my) father and mother and my youngest teacher. The other ones you know.

"her sender jig eo lirllide of bestemor og bistifar og ole og dronningen og family."
Here I send a picture of grandma and grandpa, and Ole and The Queen and Family"

Bestemor og bestefar (grandma and grandpa) could be Mina's parents Ole Evensen and Mathea Pedersdatter. Ole could be Mina's brother Ole Olsen b. 1888.

And The Queen...? Are you of Royal Family...

Laurie from the Rootsweb post must be the granddaughter of Helga (Helen) Norlie.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/09/2005 02:00:06
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  01:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAA, HAAA, Haaa!! I dont think were are royal! I just emailed that Laurie girl to find out who she was exactly and if there was any information we could trade. Hopefully she will email me back. If she is the Grandaughter of Helga that would make her my father in law's first cousin I believe. Maybe she will have something we dont.

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  01:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, maybe they called Ole's wife for "The Queen"...?

Marriage record from Løiten parish:
30-Dec-1911
Ole Olsen Kjeldal (Farmer, born on Kjeldal 1889)
Borghild Antonsdatter Solbergsveen (Born on Solbergsveen 1891)
His father: Ole Evensen Kjeldal
Her father: Anton Olsen Solberg

Here she is in census 1900, on the (Solberg) Sveen farm in Løiten, next to Kjeldal!

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  02:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you saying the people listed above are Mina's parents and grandparents? Or who are you saying these people might be? I thought Ole Evensen Kidal and Mathea pedersdatter were Mina's parents. I'm lost again. Sorrry :(

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  02:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ole Olsen Kjeldal above is Mina's brother...
He married a local girl named "Borghild" in Løiten in 1911..., I was just thinking that maybe she could be the one referred to as "The Queen" from your picture...

grandma ... grandpa ... Ole ... The Queen... Family
could be:
Ole Evensen ... Mathea Pedersdatter... Ole (Mina's brother) ... Borghild (Ole's wife)... "Family" could be children to Ole & Borghild
But this is just "qualified" guessing...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/09/2005 10:08:22
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  02:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now I'm with ya! That sounds like it could be right. It looks so far like not much is known about her other two sisters, Emma and Pauline. I was also wondering about the foster children, Anne, Olaf, and Mathilde. If they were never officially adopted, then do I include them in the family history? We've established that there is a connection between Anne and Adolph Rom/Olsen, but should I research and include to the other two? Other than to say that they were foster children of Ole and Mathea?

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  19:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

Finally some valid information about Adolph Norlie's origin!

Adolf Karinus
Birth: 05 APR 1874
Christening: 12 JUL 1874
Elverum, Hedmark, Norway
Parents: Karinus Andersen & Helene Olsdatter
Click here

According to the original churchbooks for the area, Adolf Karinus Karinussen [= Adolph Norlie] was an illegitimate child.
Parents were bachelor Karinus Andersen Svendsstuen from Aamot township in Hedmark, and girl Helene Olsdatter Nordli from the Nordli farm in Elverum Hedmark.

From the Elverum bygdebok, volume 4, page 222:
In the last century Løken Andersstua had a cotter's farm called Nordli. Until 1895 Ole Halvorsen (1819-1895) from Flakstad in Løten lived there. He was a painter and a cotter with some land. He was married to Ragnhild Larsdtr. (1807-1878) from Östmark in Sweden. By the time of census-1875, also their daughter Helene Olsdatter born 1849 was living on the Nordli farm, with her two children Olaf Antonsen born 1870 and Adolf Karenussen born 1874.

Adolph Norlie's mother:
Here is Helene with parents on the Nordli farm in census-1865.

Adolph Norlie's father:
Karinus Andersen
Birth: 02 AUG 1847
Christening: 05 SEP 1847 Aamot, Hedmark, Norway
Parents: Anders Johannesen & Marthe Gundersdr
Click here

This would be Karinus Andersen in census-1865, a male servant at the Aaset nordre farm in Aamot, Hedmark.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/09/2005 19:39:30
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  20:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With regards to the foster children:

Anne you allready know of. She is the daughter of Adolf Olsen Rom and Minas sister Anne Olsdatter Solbergsengen (1870 - 1891/1892).

Olaf Marius, born 30-Apr-1897, christened 22-Aug-1897.
Parents: Gunder Olafsen Løbak (b.1870) and Mari Olsdatter (b.1875). Father lives on the Hanekne farm, mother lives on Solbergsengen. His (no number) illegitimate child, her first illegitimate child.
Note reads: Notified (to the authorities/priest) by Ole Evensen, Solbergsengen.
Mari Olsdatter must be another siste to Mina, thus Olaf is also living by his grandparents!

Mathilde, born 18-Feb-1900, christened 04-Jun-1900.
Parents: Bachelor Aksel Pedersen Solberg (b.1879) and girl Pauline Olsen Solbergsengen (b.1879)
His first illegimate child. Her first illegimate child.
Note reads: Notified by the mother of the child.
Aksel looks to be from Sweden. Temp. forest labour in Trysil, Hedmark.
Minas sister Pauline is Mathilde's mother, so this girl is also living by her grandparents!

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/09/2005 20:45:20
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2005 :  20:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all so great! I'll go ahead and add the foster to children to the family history and just make a note that, that is what the relation to Ole and Mathea was. That's great info to have about them though in case someone comes looking for them!

I'm noticing that there are no death dates accompanied with the info you've given me. Is there any way to try and figure out who died when and where? I know that Adolph, Mina and their children all passed away in Alberta, Canada. My mother-in -law was in charge of the cemetary records there for a while. So I will contact her and see if she can find their Headstones or any info. the cemetary might have. It's a small town so it shouldn't be difficult. As for everyone else though, I will need some help. I assume that Adolf and Mina's parents (as well as everyone before them) were all baried in Norway. Let me know what you find. Thanks for helping me out so much! I really do appreciate it! Have a great day!

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2005 :  20:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michelle,

finding death dates for ancestors are often a very time consuming job if you don't have any idea of when they died. For instance, there are not many online databases containing deaths. Most of them only cover vital records like christening and marriage.
The local Bygdebook for the area might contain some info about death year, but your best resource would be the local churchbook, which (as Jo Anne showed you) can be viewed at a local LDS center. That means you have to scan through every page, looking for a name that you would recognize, if you don't have any clue about when they died....

The Norwegian Arkivverket are running a pilot project on the web right now, where they put up images of local (old) Norwegian churchbooks. For the Løten parish in Hedmark, the years 1892-1917 are already published, and you can scan through each page here.
  • Løten prgj: 1892 - 1907, Løten parish, 445 pictures containing christening, marriages, deaths, moving out/in of parish.
  • Løten prgj: 1908 - 1917, Løten parish, 277 pictures containing christening, marriages, deaths, moving out/in of parish.
So if you want to become a "real" genealogist, this is something you'll have to go through yourself...
But atleast I think you've got a really good start!

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 29/09/2005 20:05:43
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2005 :  00:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the info! You have really helped a lot! I will go on the hunt for the rest of the info. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

famgen1
Starting member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  21:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again! As I was reading through all this information I noticed that there is not much about Ole Evensen (Kildal) and his wife Mathea Pedersdatter. I know about all their kids, but I don't know anything about them. Could you see if there is anything about them?

Thanks,
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  22:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re-examine that 1900 Norwegian census entry, it gives you some good basic data about that couple.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=0415&kenr=007&bnr=0013&lnr=00
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  22:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And their marriage record from 29 DEC 1869 would help you find the right people in census-1865; where their parents are listed.

Ole's father on the marriage record are listed as Evend Olsen, her father reads Peder Andersen.

Searching the 1865 census, you should find Ole's mother Lisbet, and Mathea's mother Maria, among others...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/10/2005 22:45:24
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  01:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this is your family from the Løiten, Hedmark area. You should verify the data on the LDS films. The Solørlag will have this data at their annual Stevne's also.
http://www.solorlag.org/

Marriage of Ole & Mathea
1869 29 Dec Ole Evensen Schjerve 23 - - father E. Olsen Storbenningstad
Mathea Pedersdatter Dunderbakken 22 - - father P. Andersen

(births of their 1st four children - not shown with the family on 1900 census)
1870 July 11 Anne to Ole Evensen Schjerve '41 & Mathea Pedersdatter Skogsrud '47 m.' 69
1872 Nov 3 Emil - Ole Evensen '47 & Mathea Pedersdatter Solberseie ovre '48 m. ' 69
1875 Jan 8 Marie - Ole EvensenSolbergeie ' 47 & Mathea Pedersdatter '48 m.' 69
1877 May 24 Emma - Ole Evensen Solbergeie ' 47 & Mathea Pedersdatter '47

*Ole Evensen - (his birth and that of siblings)

*1847 Apr 3 Ole to Even Olsen & Lisbet Hansdatter Schillingstad
1847 Apr 3 Hans (twin of Ole)
death - 1849 Feb 5 Hans Evensen Schillingstad 2 yrs.
1855 Feb 14 Hans to Even Olsen & Lisbet Hansd. lille Rustad

1865 - Rustad lille - Even and Lisbet (indicates that Even was born in Romedal and Lisbet in Vang)
Click here: 1865-telling for 0415 Løiten
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60415&gardpostnr=233&personpostnr=1474&merk=1474#ovre
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Mathea Pedersdatter - (her birth - siblings and parents)

*Marriage of Peder & Maria
1847 16 July Peder Andersen Solbergseie 32 - father is Anders Pedersen
Marie Mortensdatter Solbergseie 16 - father is Morten Gundersen

*1848 May 9 Marthea to Peder Andersen & Maria Mortensdatter Soelbergbakken
1850 Mar 5 Martinus - " " Bakken nedre Solberg
1853 Mar 8 Emma - " " Bakken Solberg
1855 Jan 23 Andreas - " " Bakken u Solberg
1857 Apr 5 Petter - " " n. Solbergbakken
1859 May 7 Ole - " " Solbergbakken
1864 Mar 9 Anton - " " Dunderbakken ovre
1866 Apr 9 Anne - " " Dunderbakken ovre
1868 Apr 8 Birthe - " " Dunderbakken Solberg
1870 Nov 26 Claudi - Peder Andersen '16 & Marie Mortensd. Dunderbak '31 m. '46
1873 Aug 26 Tolga - Peder Andersen Dunderbak '16 & Marie Mortensd. '38 m. ' 48

1865 - Dunderbakken - Peder and Maria - all persons born in Løiten
Click here: 1865-telling for 0415 Løiten
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60415&gardpostnr=374&personpostnr=2256&merk=2256#ovre

Parents and siblings of Maria - mother to Mathea Pedersdatter
1823 4 Oct Gunder to Morten Gundersen
death 1823 10 Oct Gunder Mortensen Solbergeie 6 days
1826 27 Feb Marthe to Morten Gundersen & Elen Olsdatter Solbergseier
1829 16 Feb Oliana - " " "
*1831 1 Mar Maria - " " "
1835 20 Feb Anne - " " "

(it is very likely that it is Mathea's Aunt, her mother's sister Anne Mortensdatter, who is with Ole & Mathea at Kildal øvre in 1900)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article