All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Information about Great Grandmother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valeriedetling
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2006 :  18:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you had any information about my Great Grandmother Cornelia Petersen (Russell) Ray. I know she was born in Olso, Norway June 25, 1847 and died Aug 22, 1928. She married Bateman Thomas Ray in 1898 (I assume in the USA). I think she was also married to Johnson A Rusell
( birthday: 1844; date of death: March 1918.) She had 3 children Nellie Chamberlain, Adelaide Stratton, and Emma Pearl Russell Olsen (who was born in Winnebege, Minn. August 4, 1875 and died Nov. 20, 1934. (She was my grandmother). Any information about her parents, when and where she immigrated, or information about her husband (s) would be appreciated.

VJD

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2006 :  18:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to do more research on this side of the pond, birth, marriage, death records, etc.

You can find them in the 1880 census on Familysearch.org, in Walnut Grove, Redwood, MN

Johnson Russell, 36, born Illinois
Cornelia, 32, born Norway
Helen, 13, born Iowa
Addie, 9, born Missouri
Perlie, 7, born Illinois

Where did she die, do you have her death certificate, obituary? This would lead to clues. You have to find them in all the census, from 1900 on it would give her date of immigration. Cornelia does not sound like a Norwegian name to me, it was probably her "American" name.

A local Family History center would be a great help, many of them have the online census subscriptions and other information.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2006 :  19:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were a 124 Cornelias in the 1865 census in Norway so I stand corrected.
Go to Top of Page

valeriedetling
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2006 :  22:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't have any other information beside what's printed on the family tree. I did find 4 names stuck beside her name. Possibly siblings: Emma Petersen Russell, Samuel Petersen, Ingrid Petersen Torkelsojn, and Christi Petersen. I think she died in Minnesota, possibly Winnebege.

VJD
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  03:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900 census has RAY BATEMAN T 48 M W OH MN BLUE EARTH 5-WD MANKATO
his wife Cornelia born June 1853 in Minnesota, parents born in England.
So did she reinvent herself or is there another Cornelia and Bateman out there. I guess it wouldn't be the 1st time the census takers got it wrong or were given the wrong information. Hopefully I can find her in another census year with immigration information
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  03:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found them in the 1910 census
RAY BAYTON T 59 M W OH MN BLUE EARTH 5-WD MANKATO
Cornelia is 58 had 3 children, 3 living, married 12 years now she was born in Wisconsin, Father born Norway, and Mother born in England
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2006 :  03:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1920 census RAY ER LAN 69 M W OH MN BLUE EARTH 5-WD MANKATO I don't know how they got ER LAN from Bateman.
Wife Cornelia age 68, born------- I think it says New York both parents born Norway.
Alas since she never lists herself as being born in Norway, there is no emigration year
Minnesota has their death index on line Click Here and Cornelia is listed there as RAY, MRS CORNELIA
so search on first name contains Cornelia. You can order a copy of the death certificate from them. It might give you some information on her parents. (Bateman is listed there but as ROY)

Carla
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article