All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2006 :  22:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have information about the emigration or immigration of Hans Hansen Rødalshaugen from Ringebu in Gudbrandsdalen? He must have been born about 1860, as he is listed in the 1865 census as being 5 years old. Klikk here
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=f60520&gardpostnr=177&personpostnr=938&merk=938#ovre
He is also listed in the 1875 census. Klikk herehttp://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=10&filnamn=f70520&gardpostnr=133&personpostnr=996&merk=996#ovre

The church records for emigration at this time are not available on line. I am not sure when he emigrated, but it probably was around 1880 or somewhat later. He left a pregnant girlfriend in Ringebu, and he was supposed to send for her. No one heard from him again, and the girlfriend remained in Ringebu, where she bore a daughter. Thank you for any information!

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2006 :  22:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The person you are linking to are Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen....

Edvard Hansen, born 25 FEB 1860 link

Hans Hansen , christened 28 OCT 1849 link

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 24/06/2006 23:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2006 :  23:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When was the daughter born?
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2006 :  00:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume it's Edvard you're looking for, based on the birth year you refer to.

Here is one Edvard Hansen (21) from Ringebo, emigrating to Westby Wisc. on May 10th, 1882.

Your Edvard is the only Edvard Hansen born in Ringebo 1853 - 1866.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 25/06/2006 00:27:32
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2006 :  11:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! You people are so helpful! It is very likely that the Edvard Hansen emigrating to Westby, WI, is the right one. I am researching this for my neighbor, who is the great-grandson of Edvard Hansen. I'll ask him for more information about his grandmother and get back to you.
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2006 :  20:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I typed in the wrong title for this posting. It should, of course, be Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen. If the moderator could correct it, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2006 :  15:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have additional information, and I hope you kind people might provide additional information and guidance in regard to the fate of Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen. You asked about his daughter.
Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen fathered a child with Eli Johannesdotter Rønningen. Klikk her for verification in the 1865 census. The daughter's name was Kristine, and she must have been born towards the end of 1882, perhaps the beginning of 1883, as Eli was pregnant when Edvard emigrated in May, 1882. Can anyone find the entry for Kristine's birth and christening in the Church records? It would be interesting to see whether Edvard is listed as the father. If someone can also find her confirmation, it would be interesting to know whether she went by the name of Kristine Edvardsdotter, or whether she used Kristine Elisdotter. Thanks in advance for any information!
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2006 :  18:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The online church records for Ringebu are only from 1911-1934, too late for Confirmation records. The church records have been microfilmed by LDS:

click here

Finding them in the 1900 census would help, did they stay in the Ringebu area?
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2006 :  20:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they did stay in the Ringebu area, but I have been unable to find a definite match for Eli and Kristine in the census for 1875 and 1900. The family does have more information, however, so I will probably get back to you when they track it down. We can also order a microfilm of the church records at our local library here in Norway.

But the main question is what happened to Edvard Hansen Rødalshaugen when he got to the US. The link already provided below gives information on his emigration. According to this link, he was going to Westby, Wisconsin. Is there immigration information for him in what you all have? Is there a census for Westby, Wisconsin, available online or through anyone accessing this site? I understand that the 1900 census is usually not available, but some states have some information, and many took a county census at times in between. Any ideas about how we can look for Edvard in the US?

Thanks again for any information!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article