All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 OLSENs in Norddal (Møre og Romsdal)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TFOlsen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  03:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple weeks ago Hopkins helpfully offered the following in response to my inquiry about OLSENS in the Norddal (Møre og Romsdal) area.

The 4 volumes of the 'Norddal bygdebøker' by Leonhard Tafjord were published from about 1952-1976. You might learn more about any possible family members who stayed in Norway from those books - at least up until publication date. The Norddal church records are also available on LDS microfilm for the time period 1736-1921.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=145616&subject_disp=Norway%2C+M%C3%B8re+og+Romsdal%2C+Norddal&columns=*,0,0

It appears that church records for Norddal have also been added to the digitized images available online at the Digitalarkivet. As of this writing it appears that those scanned images include years as early as 1827 for Norddal.

I have been using the online church records, with as much success as expected for someone who is not fluent in Norwegian or Danish, and who is unused to the 19th Century cursive script. The indexing I've found, thus far, for the scanned church records is by record "type" (marriages, burials, christenings, etc.) by year. Is there also a name index to these records somewhere?

As for the bygdebøker, for which I hold high hopes, I plan to examine a copy at the main genealogy library in Salt Lake City. Does anyone know whether this particular bygdebok contains a name index? If not, has someone else prepared a name index?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom Olsen
2024 Falcon Court
Bellingham, WA 98229

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  03:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would'nt indexes make our lives easy. I don't think there are any but your best chance to find out is to contact the bygdelag link I gave you previously:

http://www.fellesraad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  15:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name indexing in church records is fairly rare in my experience, even more rare when actually useful. The events were already divided by type, as you've noticed, and listed in chronological order as they happened or as they were reported.

Online at Digitalarkivet - Scanned church records - Møre og Romsdal, Norddal, Parish register (official), 1846 - 1868, (Bok 519A08)
For example, YOUR Johan Olsen is found on page 17 of the birth/baptism records of 1848, record #41 entered for that year. He was born 4 Oct 1848, baptised 22 Oct., legitimate, parents farmer Ole Jonsen Gjerde and wife Gurine Rasmusdtr., witnesses/sponsors (you'll want to get familiar with the farms in the area to be able to straighten out spelling, etc. but I'll give it a rough try at quick transcription) Jens Rasmussen Lingeaas, Niels Pedersen Hjelme, Erik Martinsen Berlien, Ingri Olsdtr Amenaas (or Ømenås), Inger Pedersdtr Lindgeaas.

If you take time to look at the entire page you will notice some of the writing habits, symbols, abbreviations of that particular writer. Getting a little familiar with his particular style can help you. This writer makes the "sen" on the end of each male patronmyic identifier in the more flourished style which can look to the modern eye as a cursive 'fen'. He has a few standard abbreviations he uses to indicate father's occupation/status, altogether a nice 'hand' for 1848 in a rural community - I've seen much much worse. You must just be lucky.

True, your information about the siblings is only approximate about years, and we wouldn't be surprised to see the children's names with different spellings - that just means that you'll have to look through more pages. But you might try concentrating on the column of parents names -- Gurine Rasmusdtr will probably be a unique name in the area, even if spelled with slight variations.

Do make efforts to contact the bygdelag as Jo Anne has recommended, and also look for kind persons who may have posted themselves as available for limited "Lookups" in those particular books.
A trip to the Salt Lake City library is wonderful, but if you have any local help available to you consider making the effort to first borrow the bygdebøker by inter-library loan. I've usually made that library loan effort even if only to ascertain that a particular book is above my skill level and would require me to improve my skills and/or find help before I could tackle it. I currently have a growing list of items that I plan to study on my next trip to Salt Lake City where I hope to get a little assistance from someone more knowledgeable.
Go to Top of Page

TFOlsen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  00:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the advice. I expected that name indicies were a long shot, so your feedback is good confirmation.

I will follow up with the bygdelag (although the link to their website is broken) by email.

And I'll talk to my local FHC staff members about an inter-library loan of the 'Norddal bygdebøker' -- if only to see how challenging it will be to review it. With some prep work, I'll be even better prepared to maximize my productivity in the main SLC library. (As luck would have it, Delta Airlines has just launched direct feeder flights from our town of 70K population direct to their hub in Salt Lake City.)

I appreciate your help.

Tom Olsen
2024 Falcon Court
Bellingham, WA 98229
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  02:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inter-Library loan is through your local public library - check at the FHC if the book has been copied to microfilm or fiche - Salt Lake City does NOT loan printed material that has not been copied to microform.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na16.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article