All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Lena Vatlan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  16:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for any information on the family of Lena Vatlan. She married Ole Aaserud and emigrated to the United States in the early 1900's . They moved from the United States to Canada and homesteaded in the Craigmyle, Alberta region. I have asked about her before but did not know her maiden name. Thanks for any information. I am married to her grandson.

torrustad

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  22:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi;

do you have any more information?

When was she born?
Did the get married in Norway?
"Vatlan" can be "Vatland"; there's a lot of Vatland farms in Norway.

Do you have any links to relevant US or Canadian records? Anything may help...

I'll do my best to help you. Here in Norway we also have a lot of sources!

regards;

tor
Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  02:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to our history book, The Delia-Craigmyle Saga Lena was born in 1883 near Stavanger Norway. Her husband Ole Aaserud was born in 1878 in the same area. They were married in 1905 and in 1907 emigrated to Churches Ferry, North Dakota, a Norweigan settlement.
Unfortunately we did not realize when we were first married and Ole and Lena were still living that someday we would want to know a lot more about the Norweigan side of our family!
Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  05:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are just enough clues that can help.

Leaving from the port of Stavanger in 1907 are Ole and Lena --
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=14&filnamn=Stav1903&gardpostnr=10186&sokefelt=skjul
They list that they previously resided in Jelsa - a district in Rogaland. Additional estimates of birth years for each also included in that record.
(You will see spellings of Jelsa, Jelse and Jelsøe in various records and at various time periods.)

Go to Top of Page

torrustad

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2006 :  09:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes; I also foud them. No doubt; it's the right persons!

From where did you get the "Vatlan" name?
In the Stavanger area there's many Vatland farms.....

I have been looking for them in the 1900 Census and have some possible Ole and Lena; it seems they were moving araound working at different farms. I haven't found any of them directly connected to "Aaserud" or "Vatland" farms, but at that time people often "took" the name of the farm they were working at as a "surname" and added it to the patronymic name.

In the area there are also "Asserud" farms.
Since we don't have their patronymic I suggest that you put a message at the Debate Forum at "Digitalarkivet":
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebDebatt.exe?slag=listtema&debatt=brukar&spraak=e

You can write in English. Write down all you know; also the link Hopkins gave you.

I am sure you'll get help.
(if you fror some reason get problems tell me and I can put the message for you. I''"keep an eye on you"
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2006 :  18:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is alot of information in your prior posting and links to two more postings about this family:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2365

Go to Top of Page

Steamer
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2006 :  03:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help. I am new to all this including using the computer. My sister-in-law was the one who told me she thought Lena's maiden name was Vatlan so I assume she learned that from her mom. We are new grandparents to a little boy and someday we would like him to know about his Norweigen roots. His grandpa's family is Norweigan (both his paternal and maternal side) and my side is everything else. We are hoping through forums such as this to make contact with relatives in Norway as only Lena and Ole and my husband's father emigrated from there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article