All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Barka family, Stavanger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  16:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
it is a bit tricky with all the different spelling variations, but you need to remember that in those days they didn't write their names so often... The written names you see is how their names was written down by the persons who carried out the censues etc.

When it comes to this Axel Asgeitsen, born 10 NOV 1855, I think you should refer to him as Axel Asgautsen, with parents Asgaut Thorsen & Martha Asgautsdatter.
Asgeitsen looks to be a misspelling of the interpreter, and Asgaudsen is more of a old Norwegian (i.e. Danish) spelling

Hopefully he will become this Aksel Barka you're looking for. But there's no proof of that as yet.

Here is the previous mentioned link for Askaud Thorsen and wife in census 1900 for Stavanger. The problem with the link is that when you edit a post with the name "register" in the URL, reg turns into a trademark symbol, and the url gets corrupted.
However, I'm not sure it's the right couple.

This widower Asgaut Torsen Barke looks more like your guy. He has "almost" the correct age, but also the lastname contains Barke.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  17:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, if Asgaut Torsen Barke had any children and one of them was Olav, we'd be in business!!!! I can't seem to find anything about him.

Of my mother's family, only Aksel Barka (born 1918) is still alive and he doesn't seem to remember much.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  18:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost...

Asgaut Torsen Barke is born 1827-1829, so I would hope he was the paternal grandfather to your Olav.

Axel Asgautsen, born 10 NOV 1855 could still be Olav's father. Axel's father was Asgaut Thorsen, ie. prob. this Asgaut Torsen Barke above...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/08/2006 18:26:41
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  18:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant Axel Asgautsen as the son of Asgout, not Olav! Sorry. Olav would have been Axel's son. Is Aksel or Axel the correct spelling? (or IS there a correct spelling?)
Thanks again.

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  18:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Aksel would be the correct spelling in Norway, atleast as of today.

However, back in 1865, the situation was a bit different:

The norwegian census of 1865 contains 1309 persons named Axel and only 156 named Aksel ...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/08/2006 18:57:34
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  20:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That link is to the same information from the 1865 Norwegian census as was given earlier - BUT from an alternate database version for that census.
The original link as given earlier -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1130&kenr=005&bnr=0006&lnr=000
The same family in the other database for the same census -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=5&filnamn=f61130&gardpostnr=218&sokefelt=skjul

As I was explaining yesterday, the best source of early records for the area of Strand is the microfilm available through your nearest LDS Family History Center.
Don't think of the names as 'changing' - just think of the spelling variations used by various writers. I compare it to the 'junk mail' I get every week - my mail comes to me with a variety of spellings - but I'm still the same person.

I'm sorry - that Digitalarkivet link that wouldn't work is NOT the same as the one I gave you from the RHD -- and the age difference seems a bit radical.

Edited by - Hopkins on 23/08/2006 20:35:04
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  21:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I still need to find out if Axel Askaudsen (Asgautsen) is really Aksel Barka, the father of Olav Barka.

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  21:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lanoffs

I guess I still need to find out if Axel Askaudsen (Asgautsen) is really Aksel Barka, the father of Olav Barka.

Yes.

And the best way to verify that, is to find Olav's christening record. If he is christened in Strand parish, Rogaland about 1893, those records are not online, but you can order them at any LDS Family centre.

And Olav could be his middle name for example, so you would need to scan through those records very carefully.
Could Olav for instance be this Bernhard in the 1900-census? Maybe it's Olav Bernhard Bjornsen Barke...?

Just a thought..., so that your eyes are wide open when you start your search through the microfilms...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2006 :  22:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olav Barka was born in 1893. Siblings (that I can remember) Alfred, Erling, Tomas, Berthe, Akseliane. There were probably more. Olav then married Anna Emelie Johannessen (b. 1890) in about 1917 or 1918. I have a terrific photograph from their wedding with about 26 family members in it, but I don't know who they are. How do I order a christening record? What is an LDS Family center and how do I conact them?
Thank you so much,
Laurie

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2006 :  00:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to find out exactly where your husband got the dates and details about that family. There is rarely any need to 'reinvent the wheel'.
Almost any good book or online article about genealogy (especially beginners books) will help you understand about LDS Family History Centers.
Website provided by LDS - http://www.familysearch.org/
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2006 :  01:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. My husband might have gotten some info from my mother when she was still alive. I know he had gathered some, but i didn't know where it was! But it stopped with Aksel Barka. I am trying to go back further. You have all been extremely helpful. Again, thanks!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page

lanoffs
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2006 :  15:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can find Olav and Erling Barka on the Emigrantar frå Stavanger 1903-1928 website, but I can't find a record of either of them in the census or in familysearch.org.or the Norwegian Historical Data Center. This is a mystery!

Laurie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article