All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Thoralf Baartvedt b.1877 in Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mai
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  21:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I`m looking for my great grandmothers brother Thoralf Kristian Baartvedt born 10.06.1877 in Akerø( the county of Møre og Romsdal) He was the firstborn son of Alf Baartvedt and wife Lilla (born Hasberg) From the archives of Digatalarkivet I`ve found out that he went to America twice, 1.time in 1899 on the Dominion Line and the 2.time in 1909 on the ship Hellig Olav
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=14&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=190589&merk=190589#ovre

I have not been able to find him anywhere else. I know that he probably must have died in America and that he probably must have changed the writing of his last name. Various ways to write the name is Bortveit, Bårtvedt, Bårtveit,Baartveit. Hope that someone can help me! He may also called himself Alfsen (as the son of Alf) but no match for me there either.

Mai

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  22:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First Name: Thorolf K.
Last Name: Bortvet
Ethnicity: Norway, Scand.
Last Place of Residence: Porsgrund, Norway
Date of Arrival: May 05, 1909
Age at Arrival: 31y 10m Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Hellig Olav
Port of Departure: Christiania
Manifest Line Number: 0006

Non immigrant alien (been in Minnesota 1899-1908)
Nearest relative: Mrs Lilla Bortvet, Porsgrund
Destination: Friend Mr Henry Harris, 28 Charton Str, New York

//Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/09/2006 10:50:00
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  01:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1900 census in Norway, Alf, Lilla and family are found in Akerø, More og Romsdal, no sign of Thoralf.

On the actual passenger list on the Ellis Island database, it states that Thoralf is a non-immigrant alien. It says that he was in the U.S. from 1899-1908 in Minnesota. His friend, Henry Harris lives at 28 Carlton Way.

In the 1910 census for Manhattan, Henry Harris is living at 28 Carlton Way with his wife, two children, his father Samuel Harris is head of household, mother is Henriette. The Harris family was born in Norway, immigrating in 1881. No sign of Thoralf.

Go to Top of Page

Mai
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  17:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answers from both of you!

Is it possible that he might have worked on the ship for a period of time? Or perhaps gone back to Norway with the same ship? Any records of this? Are there records of persons who died on board? He is the only one of his brothers and sisters who didn`t come back to Akerø and is buried there. Any ideas where to look next???

Mai
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  19:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Kristine Baartveit (19) from Porsgrund / Akero arrives on Nov 01, 1910, she is also headed for this Harris family in New York. I'm not 100% sure what her final destination reads, but it looks like "Girlfriend(?) Mrs Henry Harris".

Olaf Baartveit (28) arrived on Apr 20, 1908, and is registered as a sailor on SS Britannia.. Final destination reads New York.

I think you should do some more searches in New York...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Mai
New on board

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  21:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan Peter!

I forgott about Kristine. She lived in America in Minneapolis and died there in 1985. I have contact with her relatives. Olaf, however returned to Akerø and died in 1979 at the age of 91. When I look at the siblings birthdates and when they died, most of them died between the age of 80 and 92. So that is why I hoped that Thoralf or Thorolf also would be in some of the records somewhere.....

How can I find any more info in New York? Can you suggest which arcives I should look into???

Mai
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  23:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend you go into Cyndislist.com for many NY links.

This is a good one for NY City:

http://www.germangenealogygroup.com/otherdb.stm

By the way, Henry Harris' wife's name was Anna C., born Norway, age 36 (hard to read) in 1910.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article