All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Malla ( karlsdtr) Eikefjord
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sokarin
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2006 :  05:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for Malla ( karlsdtr) Eikefjord born in Floro Norway in 1890 went to America in 1910 may 08 with the ship Saint Louis she was going to Chicago that`s all I know.Is there anyone who could help me with more informasion

Sofie

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  03:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the benefit of other posters, here is her departure registration from Bergen:

click here

She arrived at the Port of New York on May 8 and was traveling with two young men from Floro, they are listed above her in the Bergen list:

Karl Stavang, 21, laborer
Reinhardt Olaj Johnsen Snilstvedt, 25, laborer

All three of them were going to the same person, Gustav Hovig, 7133 May St., Chicago, Illinois.

I thought that she might have been involved with one of the men but I easily found them in the census’ and Karl (Carl) Stavang married a woman named Johanna and settled in Minnesota, he died in Oregon in 1980.

Reinhart Snilstvedt appears to never have married, he settled in South Dakota and in the 1930 census was a farm laborer.

Unfortuately, I haven't been able to find anything about Malla. The 1910 census was enumerated in April, 1910, one month before she arrived in America.

Go to Top of Page

sokarin
Starting member

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  16:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you very much.
I found on ancestry.com in New york passenger lists 1820-1957 that her name was Malla Eckefgord,but I wasn`t able to find more informasion
All the other informasion was correct
Microfilm serial : T715
Microfilm roll :T715_1473
Can you tell me how I can search i chicago?
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  19:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The passenger list has two pages, after 1907 there was more information on the lists.

You can try www.cyndislist.com but Illinois isn't the greatest state to search in, not like Minnesota. I tried searching the Illinois databases and couldn't find anything on her but who knows what first and last names she went by in America and where she eventually settled.

www.vitalrec.com leads to local genwebs and societies but I did
not find anything for her there. Chicago is in Cook County. Illinois has a State archive but the marriage index only goes to 1900:

www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html" target="_blank">http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html

There are a lot of Chicago microfilmed records available for rent on familysearch.org but there are no marriage records that would apply for your time frame:

www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=198450&subject_disp=Illinois%2C+Cook%2C+Chicago&columns=*,0,0" target="_blank">http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=198450&subject_disp=Illinois%2C+Cook%2C+Chicago&columns=*,0,0

In 1910, Gustaf Honek was living as one of four boarders with Lars & Hilda Larsen at 1733 May St., Chicago. He was 50, married, immigrated 1906, car repairman for the Railroad. Everyone was born in Norway. Lars was a foreman for the railroad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article