All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Per Sexe and Brita Sexe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

as78m
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  22:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Per and Brita Jonson came from the Sexe Gaard in Ullensvang Norway.They Immigrated in 1902 they were brother and sister.According to the Bygdabok for the area Brita married a farmer in Mn.I know from a cousin in Norway, Per went to washington state where he changed his name to Peter Saxe.We have been looking and looking for the descendants of these two and have had no luck what so ever.We believe Brita married an Olson.And had 4 children before she died.They say she died before they were confirmed.I have a picture of her and her husband taken in Chicago,but the book says she married a man from Minnesota.
If anyone could be of some help I would appreciate it.The letters from Per and Brita burned in an accidental fire on the farm in Norway.
Their parents were
Father
Jon Person Årvik 1840-1915
Mother, they married in 1873
Kari Jonsdtr Sekse 1838-1901
Children
Jon Sexe 1876-1954 N.Sekse, Ullensvang
Per Sexe 1877- imm. 1902
Brita Sexe 1881-imm. 1902

Thank you,
Amy

Edited by - as78m on 14/11/2006 23:31:19

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  00:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter J. Sexe lists himself as 31 years old in the1910 US census. He lists his immigration year as 1904 and he lives in Tacoma Washington with Norwegian born wife, Ingeborg, and 2 yr old Oregon born son, Randolph C.
I don't find him using Sexe or Saxe as a surname in the1920 census.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  01:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1907 'Britha' Sekse leaves from Bergen, Norway with a stated destination of Lee County, Illinois.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=0125emig&gardpostnr=1684&sokefelt=skjul

Peter/Peder did leave from Bergen in1902 -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=21&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=44672&sokefelt=skjul

Edited by - Hopkins on 15/11/2006 01:25:05
Go to Top of Page

as78m
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  01:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder where to go from there?How do you find a woman (Brita) in America where they had their names changed when they were married?The Bygdabok said she married a Mn. Farmer.It has been told in our family that some one married a Bly or Bleie. I wonder if it is her?
Amy
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  01:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So she married someone who was also from Ullensvang area? Did you check US censuses for Bleie (or logical 'sounds-like' variations)?
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  01:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if you have the family in the 1900 census:

click here

You can see that the Bygeboks are not always accurate, unfortuately, these mistakes keep getting repeated in future editions.

The online MN death index is worth searching around:

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 15/11/2006 01:44:49
Go to Top of Page

as78m
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  02:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been corrected by my Cousin she married a Olsen.I also have a picture taken of them in Chicago.I wonder where to look first. Another Aunt (Gurid) in America Married the Bly.

Edited by - as78m on 15/11/2006 02:03:36
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  13:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expect a spelling of Olson for most Norwegian descendants in Minnesota. Alternate spellings MIGHT be Olsen or Oleson.

If I were you - I'd head to my local public library or the nearest LDS Family History Center to use a census search through Ancestry.com. (Unless of course you have a subscription to those online databases.) You'll have 1910,1920 and 1930 US censuses available for your research. Don't try to look for her unnamed husband (needle in a haystack) - but search for her with her married name and other identifying information as you can. You might be able to come up with a short list of' 'possibles' worthy of your further investigation.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  18:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are alot of online parish records for Ullensvang on Digitalarkivet, including:

Peter’s confirmation, born September 6, 1977
Brita’s confirmation record in 1895, born November 23, 1881
Couldn't make the links work.

My search engine must have worked better, all in Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington:

P.J. Saxe, born Norway, landscape gardener
Ruth Saxe
Edwin Cox, stepson

Peter J. Saxe, 40, emigrated 1906, landscape gardener
Ruth, wife, 24, born Washington
Clarence, son, 12, born Oregon
Edwin Cos, 6, born Washington, stepson

So Peter’s first wife, mother of Clarence died sometime between 1910 and 1920 and he remarried Ruth Cox. It appears Peter only had one child, Clarence, he is the one you need to track to find any living relatives.

Here is Clarence, Jr. in the 1920 census:
1920 –
Clarence R. Saxe, 24, born Oregon, landscape gardener
Flossie, wife, 24
Clarence R., Jr. 2 ½, born Washington

Clarence R. Saxe, Jr. died August 22, 1989 in Tacoma per SS death index, you can get a copy of his death cert., vitalrec.com

Now this is really interesting.

Peter Saxe, born September 6, 1978 in Hardinger, Norway, registered for the draft in Tacoma, WA on September 12, 1918. He was not married which tracks with the census. He lists his nearest relative as his sister, Anna Olsen of Des Moines, Iowa. Unless he had another sister named Anna, which I don’t think so, Brita changed her name to Anna.

The only match I could find was:

1920 census in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois:
George C. Olsen, 27, born Minnesota, teak sailmaker at an awning company
Anna Olsen, 40, born Norway, immigrated 1908
No children

Illinois State Archives database:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html

Since Brita originally immigrated to Illinois and you have a picture of her and her husband in Chicago, it is a very good possibility that this is her and would justify trying to investigate her further.

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  18:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Peder registering to leave Norway on January 22, 1902

click here

He was traveling with Peder Bleie, born 1869, a resident of Illinois, probably one of your Blys.

They arrived from Liverpool to the Port of New York on February 5, 1902 aboard the Saxonia. There is alot of information on the passenger list.

They were traveling to Lee, Dakota. Peder Bleie's contact was his brother, Haldon Bleie in Clear Lake, Iowa. They were under contract with a labor contractor, in De Kalb County, Illinois.

These locations all tie in with previous information, Illinois, Iowa.

Go to Top of Page

as78m
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  19:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jo Anne
I can't believe what you have found.I am so amazed I wonder why Brita would have gone to Anna.I will have to look at some census records for Anna Olson.Are any censuses on line for free?
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many libraries have Heritage Quest available online, at home, with a library membership. Also, many local Family History Centers have Ancestry.com online and they never charge anything. You really do have to look at the records as there is more information than I have written down.

Changing her name could be nothing more than not liking her name, thinking it was old fashioned, coming to a new country is a new start in life.

Peter Bleie's brother, is in the 1920 census in Minnehaha, Colton, North Dakota. Haldor Bleie, 70, immigrated 1869, Guro, 58, immigrated 1890, several children listed, some born in Iowa, the last two born in South Dakota. I think Guro was probably your Gurid.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

as78m
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  21:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found where I can order Clarence Jr. Obit I think I will and hope he had children.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article