All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Home research with or without digitalarkivet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  03:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been doing research (and detailed documentation) on my Norwegian ancestors. Fortunately, many came from Ringebu, where there are many good records going back to 1696 in the Digitalarkivet. I am not multi-lingual, but was impressed with the system once I learned how to access it. Now, I am going back further and into other parishes of Norway. I have a few questions on the interpretation of the Digitalarkivet information and where to go for more information:

1. In the Digitalarkivet marriages, there are two columns relating to dates. I have traveled in many countries, but are not equipped for accurate, detailed reading of other languages. The left column gives a "marriage date" and a column further to the right gives other information, often a date that is later than the first. I assume this is the marriage date and the other is the marriage contract date. - Is this correct? I assume the burial date and place is that and not the death location.

2. I have found a number of ancestors listed as "soldiers", "sargeants. etc.". Is there an on-line source for this military information or do I have to order microfilms or travel to a research source (I live in Minneapolis/St.Paul)?

3. A number of ancestors married people from Gausdal. Since there is little infromation (prior to 1800) on Gausdal in Digitalarkivet, are the films from SLC the most convenient?

4. There is a possibility that I also have ancestors (from another branch) from the Sel area. There is little easily available early (prior to 1800) information on this area also?

Thank you for your assistance and opinions. - It is the only way to learn.

Richard (Dick) Schumacher

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2006 :  17:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: 1. The format of pages for the recording of marriages changed through various time periods. It is impossible to guess which format you are looking at. Can you capture and post a link to a good sample?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  04:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins -

I am having trouble with my keyboard today when using norwegian characters, so please be patient.

One example I found was when looking for the marriage information of Baard Ingebretsen and Ronnov Gulbrandsdatter that were married about 1755-1756 in Ringebu. The following seems to be the site address:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=4&filnamn=0520viel&gardpostnr=1062&merk=1062#ovre

On the left under year and date, it shows the first date to be November 16, 1755. On the right end under remarks the date is January 21, 1756. I assumed this had some thing to do with the concept of marriage banns or a marriage contract. I know is Sweden there is a requirement to advertise the marriage in advance. Is this similar?

It is not an earth-shaking point, but it helps to understand how things were done and what was required.

This example also is one that refers to a soldat (soldier?) that I though may be a lead to further information.

Forgive my poor knowledge of the Norwegian language, but I have been able to travel extensively without a second tongue, by carefully picking out information and comparing it to other examples in similar languages. - My last name is Schumacher, but I have many Luxembourg ancestors with the names of Jean Paul, Pierre and Jean Baptist, so I am forced to keep my eyes open.

Thank you for your interest.

Dick

Go to Top of Page

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  05:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Follesdal has an excellent article on parish registers Click Here
Carla
Go to Top of Page

kaare n
Medium member

Norway
114 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2006 :  16:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure, but sometimes it was as you say, they had to promised each other that they would marry. And then they had to wait fore some week/months a then they could be reel married. We have nearly the same to day. IF we get married at all. So the first date is when they told someone else that they planed to marry

Trolovelsedato= the first date
Vielsedato = the marriage date.

If you need help with Gausdal, may be I can help send me a mail with names and date to the people you are looking fore

Regards
Kåre in Norway
Born in Gausdal

Go to Top of Page

Richard Schumacher

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  02:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carla - Thank you for the direction for the article on church parishes. It seems like there is a great effort toward uniformity, but nothing beats looking, poking and common sense. Are there any sources for soldier's information similar to parish records?

I wish the U.S. census records were as complete the 1690 - 1870 period parish records.

Kåre - Thank you for the information on the marriage dates. It seems the later (if there are two) is the wedding the first is the announcement or the contract date. My Norwegian reading ability is limited and I know just enough to be dangerous. - I will you with a namr regarding Gausdal when I can confirm the information I am giving you is accurate. No one likes a false chase based on old family stories that may not be accurate.

Thank you!!!

Dick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article