All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ingerid Gudvangen Stigen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LCJOHNS
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  01:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish to learn more about the family in which my great-grandmother Ingerid Gudvangen Stigen was born and raised. The location was Aurland parish, Sogn og Fjordane.
Ingerid was born in March 1824, and I believe emigrated in 1849, possibly accompanied by a sister Ingeborg, and perhaps other siblings. Names of her parents and siblings, plus other pertinent information if readily accessible will be appreciated.

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  02:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, you don't want much, do you? You really need to find more information on this side of the pond, at least research the records here to find out her parents names, research her siblings, too, if you find a dead end.

They are links on this site to help you begin research and organizations from that area.

You can rent the microfilmed church records for Aurland that start in 1716 at a local Family History Center. You have her birth date, it would be quite easy to find her baptism and confirmation records as well as her "moving out" record. Not everything is on the Internet.

Did you search on Norway Heritage to see if she was on the passenger list database?

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 18/11/2006 02:22:40
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  02:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Christensen & Ingerie Johannesdr are registered with the following children born in Aurland parish, Sogn & Fjordane county:

Christen Olsen, christened 16 JUN 1822, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Ingerie Olsdtr, christened 09 MAY 1824, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Johannes Olsen, christened 18 FEB 1827, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Bottold Olsen, christened 23 JUN 1831, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Ingeborg Olsdtr, christened 16 APR 1835, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Ivar Olsen, christened 02 JAN 1837, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Ole Olsen, christened 08 APR 1838, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway
Liv Olsdtr, christened 28 JUN 1840, Aurland, Sogn Og Fjordane, Norway

//Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  02:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks to be her father Ole Christensen in census 1801..., living on the Stegen farm... link

A strong possibility for her mother Ingerie Johannesdr: link

Their marriage in 1822: click here

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/11/2006 02:38:31
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2006 :  04:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigration on 23-mar-1849:
Christen Olss. Gudvangen
Ingri Olsd. Gudvangen

Emigration on 14-oct-1849:
Johannes Olss. Gudvangen (moved to Bergen, Norway?)

Emigration on 14-apr-1851:
Ole Olss. Gudvangen

Emigration on 8-apr-1857:
Ingeborg Olss. Gudvangen
Liv Olsd. Gudvangen

Emigration on 5-apr-1859:
Bottold Olss. Gudvangen

This could be the brother Iver in census 1865.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/11/2006 04:10:32
Go to Top of Page

Jean Marthaler

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2006 :  04:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Aurland bygdebok "Undredal og Nærøy" Gard og Ætt by Åsmund Ohnstad.

The family of Ingrid is on page 568, her father Ole Kristensen Stegen born 1792 was a husmann on the Gudvangen farm. He married in 1822 to Ingrid Johannesdatter Dræge (1797-1849). They had 10 children.

Kristen born 1822, went to America in 1849
Ingrid born 1824 went to America in 1849, marrying in 1855 to Andrew Ellestad, Newburg Twp., Fillmore Co., MN
Johannes born 1827 died in St. Jørgens Hospital in Bergen in 1857
Gjøri born 1828 went to America in 1859
Botolv born 1831 went to America in 1859
Ingeborg born 1835 went to America in 1857
Ivar born 1837 died 1837
Ole born 1838 went to America in 1851
Liv born 1840 went to America in 1857
Anders born 1851 went to America in 1857
Kristen and Ingrid were born on the Drægo farm and the others on the Gudvangen farm.
Ole Kristensen and his second wife, Sigrid Steffensdatter Grevle from Voss immigrated in 1857.

With your ancestry being from this area I want to let you know about a wonderful book that is available about the Nærøyfjord area. It has beautiful pictures of the Stigen farm and the Gudvangen area and other farms you connect to. Stigen is way up high on a ledge overlooking the fjord. If you live in America and want to learn more about this book just let me know and I will let you know how to get it.

Ingrid is also listed along with her brother on page 76 of Volume 4, Norwegian Immigrant to the United States by Gerhard B. Naeseth and Blaine Hedberg. She and Kristen immigrated on the Henrik Wergeland along with a number of other people from the Undredal, Aurland, Sogn og Fjordane area. The brig sailed from Bergen about May 12, 1849 and arrived in New York on July 5, 1849.

Jean Marthaler
Go to Top of Page

atle-unnimarie

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2007 :  08:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jean Marthaler

I have the Aurland bygdebok "Undredal og Nærøy" Gard og Ætt by Åsmund Ohnstad.

The family of Ingrid is on page 568, her father Ole Kristensen Stegen born 1792 was a husmann on the Gudvangen farm. He married in 1822 to Ingrid Johannesdatter Dræge (1797-1849). They had 10 children.

Kristen born 1822, went to America in 1849
Ingrid born 1824 went to America in 1849, marrying in 1855 to Andrew Ellestad, Newburg Twp., Fillmore Co., MN
Johannes born 1827 died in St. Jørgens Hospital in Bergen in 1857
Gjøri born 1828 went to America in 1859
Botolv born 1831 went to America in 1859
Ingeborg born 1835 went to America in 1857
Ivar born 1837 died 1837
Ole born 1838 went to America in 1851
Liv born 1840 went to America in 1857
Anders born 1851 went to America in 1857
Kristen and Ingrid were born on the Drægo farm and the others on the Gudvangen farm.
Ole Kristensen and his second wife, Sigrid Steffensdatter Grevle from Voss immigrated in 1857.

With your ancestry being from this area I want to let you know about a wonderful book that is available about the Nærøyfjord area. It has beautiful pictures of the Stigen farm and the Gudvangen area and other farms you connect to. Stigen is way up high on a ledge overlooking the fjord. If you live in America and want to learn more about this book just let me know and I will let you know how to get it.

Ingrid is also listed along with her brother on page 76 of Volume 4, Norwegian Immigrant to the United States by Gerhard B. Naeseth and Blaine Hedberg. She and Kristen immigrated on the Henrik Wergeland along with a number of other people from the Undredal, Aurland, Sogn og Fjordane area. The brig sailed from Bergen about May 12, 1849 and arrived in New York on July 5, 1849.

Jean Marthaler

This is real close to my roots turf down the stream, so to speak, in Vangen Parish & Farms Gjerlow, O(h)nstad, Hoi(y)dal, Kvam, Bjelde, Bell, Ty, As, Skjerdal et al. My roots have sibs etc in your turf as well. Are Stigen & Stegen one and the same. Do you know Lagmansas? My searching has been confined to Aurland only. I should get a broader base.

Interesting in any case.

You gave great feedback to the inquiry. I know it was appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2007 :  14:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baptismal record for Ole Kristensen is the third from the bottom on the right hand page here
His parents were Christen Davidsen and Ingeborg Bottolvsdatter at the Stigen farm. Ole was baptized in Wangen church Dec 11 1792.
The baptismal record for Ingri Johannesdatter is the last one on the left hand page here
Her parents were Johannes Halvorsen and Ingeri Bendixdatter on the Dræge farm. Ingeri was baptized July 30 1797.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/12/2007 15:37:44
Go to Top of Page

atle-unnimarie

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2007 :  21:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

The baptismal record for Ole Kristensen is the third from the bottom on the right hand page here
His parents were Christen Davidsen and Ingeborg Bottolvsdatter at the Stigen farm. Ole was baptized in Wangen church Dec 11 1792.
The baptismal record for Ingri Johannesdatter is the last one on the left hand page here
Her parents were Johannes Halvorsen and Ingeri Bendixdatter on the Dræge farm. Ingeri was baptized July 30 1797.

Thanks for your response. I also see other relevant data here as well as in surrounding pages. Great!! You and others are very helpful.

As a Newbie I have much to learn about how to navigate the site as well as in general, but this is important, fascinating and a challenge. Knowing no Norwegian is a liability, but I will work with this all as much as possible. Again, thanks.

Edited by - atle-unnimarie on 22/12/2007 22:05:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article