All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Cherbourg - New York on Cunard Aquitania in 1922
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mitch
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  02:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone help me identify the dates of the voyage from Cherbourg to New York around 11 March 1922? I have a Ship Manifest scan of my great-grandparents from that date, but I can't find anywhere on the 'net what this date means. When was departure, when was arrival?

Of course, I checked the departure page on this fantastic website, but I didn't find this ship listed:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_year.asp?ye=1922

Anyone know where I can get this information?

Thanks in advance!
Mitch
mitch@wiseoak.com

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  02:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the entire ship manifest or just one page? The departure and arrival dates are usually on the first page of the manifest.

In 1922 the Aquitania carried 8,010 passengers in various voyages from the Port of Cherbourg to the Port of New York, none arriving on March 11.

A little more information would help, your ggrandparents name so one of us could look the list up.
Go to Top of Page

Mitch
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  15:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great point Jo Anne - so can this be a departure date? Here's why I speculate that:

1. I now see at the header of the first page (page 233) "Passengers Saling FROM Cherbourg, 11 Mars 1922". That's French, so was this done in Cherbourg at departure time? (and the document was used for reporting and updates throughout the trip?)

2. The second page (page 232) was not filled out where it says "Arriving Port of...".

3. The third page (234) is signed by Sindey Jones, the ships' surgeon. This says he signed the book on "18 March 1922" at "New York"

My ggrandparents were Haika and Edel Mordkov, and my grandfather was Berel Mordkov. Here is a link to their Manifest on the Ellis Island website:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?order_num=1849969512&MID=18911154120227716288&order_num=1849969512&ORDER_ID=1600092763&LNM=MORDKOV&PLNM=MORDKOV&last_kind=1&town_kind=0&ship_kind=0&RF=24&pID=605022050212&lookup=605022050212&show=%5C%5C192%2E168%2E4%2E227%5Cimages%5CT715%2D3090%5CT715%2D30900233%2ETIF&origFN=%5C%5C192%2E168%2E4%2E227%5CIMAGES%5CT715%2D3090%5CT715%2D30900232%2ETIF

Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  21:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This passenger list is 141 pages long, they are on pages 70 & 71. Leaving Cherbourg on March 11 and arriving Port of New York on March 17, paperwork processed on March 18. The arrival dates often vary due to time of arrival, harbor happenings, etc. Some of the passengers came from Southhampton so the ship stopped at more than one port before crossing the Atlantic.

I would recommend you rent the microfilm of this passenger list to get more information, like what class did they travel? If third class, they would have been some of the last people to be processed for immigration at Ellis Island.

Have you read and seen all the information and pictures on the Aquitania on this site?
Go to Top of Page

Mitch
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2006 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. Now it's getting clearer Jo Anne, thank you for teaching me this.

So, we've got a March 11-March 18th 1922 Trans-Atlantic crossing. Forgive me if this is a silly question, but a 6 day trip across the Atlantic? Yes, all the documents back this up (I've flipped through other pages on the Ellis Island site in the same passenger list and found other pages that document the arrival date as you said). But according to this site: http://web.greatships.net:81/aquitania.html the Aquitania took 14 days in 1930 for a round trip and that was a record. I guess I always imagined the trip taking longer.

I just read Børge Solem's article on the crossing, and that certainly gave me more insight as to how by '22 the spead and quality of the trip was improving tremendously.

I also just read your Port of New York Passenger Records article which gave me further insight to the different classes of passenger and how they were checked in. It would be great to know how my ggrandparents traveled, as then I could match up the pictures from here:

http://search.plimsoll.org/cgi-bin/dialogserver.exe?THRESHOLD=99&QUERY00=aquitania&db=plimsoll&PROP00=t%3Dp%2Cs%3Dall

So you're saying I can "rent the microfilm" of this passenger list and it would contain what class was traveled in? How would I determine that? Also, do you know where I can get this microfilm? LDS? Local Library Inter-loan request?

P.S. - I've certainly been studying the site (and others) to the best of my ability, including seeing tons of pictures. I try not to embarrass myself too badly, but I know a lot of my questions show a lack of knowledge of this period.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2006 :  03:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big steamers brought the voyage down to about a week, even third class travel was pleasant. You can rent the film at a local Family History Center or on inter-library loan. The structure of passenger lists varies, you will have to scroll around (not too fast or you will get seasick). The different classes of passengers were listed separately as well as the crew. You might find some notes on the lists if there were any usual events or deaths at sea. Ancestry.com has these lists on a paid subscription but even with high speed dsl waiting for all these pages to come up would get tedious.

If you have access to a local library that has the New York Times on microfilm, I would recommend that you view them for events, weather, whatever at the time of your ancestors arrival. The ship's arrival would be posted and any pertinent details of the voyage if any usual happened. One of my great grandmothers arrived in New York two days after the Castle Garden fire, with severe thunderstorms the first week and a horrendous heatwave in the city.

Go to Top of Page

Mitch
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2006 :  17:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Jo Anne, this is amazing. The deeper we get into the manifest, the better! It's so misleading the way Ellis Island.com presents just the page they signed in on as relevant, when it's just a slice of the picture!

POINT ONE:
Searching Ancestry.com is a pleasure this month - it's free. They have open access to all immigration records through the end of the year. So digging through the 141 pages, I came up with another family listing!

Under the title "Aliens Held for Special Inquiry", my family is listed twice - on page 103, all of them, and on page 105, just my ggrandfather Edel Mordkov.

http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7488&path=1922.3.17.Aquitania.105
http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7488&path=1922.3.17.Aquitania.103

Jo Anne, do you know how to interpret all these notations?

POINT 2:
On page 106, I now see the ship docked at Pier 54 in New York. That's already turned up some great results on internet searches for information.

POINT 3:
We now know the class they traveled in too. It's clearly listed on the top of every page, and for my family it was "Steerage" (3rd class for the Aquitania). That backs up my Aunt's stories that the family was very poor when they came to America.

POINT 4:
As for conditions at the time, my downtown public library does have the New York Times on microfilm. I'll be heading out there tonight or tomorrow to get the news o' the day.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2006 :  19:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the Ellis Island site is free so it does not have all the bells and whistles, they were making noises awhile back about starting to charge but they have just given the database to Ancestry.com so I am sure they are making money off of the deal. You are lucky because these years were just added to Ancestry.com in the last couple of months and the free offer is the first time you can get access without giving your credit card information.

I don't know what LPC or LPD means. It appears that the people with the LPD notation were hospitalized. It could have just been that one of the family was ill and had to been observed for a few days. They were not admitted until 3-21 so they were at the Island for a few days. You can see from the pictures here on the Aquitania that third class (steerage) accomodations were quite comfortable. The scenes of crammed berths and horrendous conditions were mostly from the early sailing ship days, from the cheaper Canadian ships that carried the Irish during the potato famine and public outcry made conditions improve somewhat. Two months on a sailing ship would be really rough travel.

Go to Top of Page

Mitch
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2006 :  00:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/bsi/

This is a good summary of how to translate all the markings on the "Aliens Held for Special Inquiry" page that answers my own question.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article