All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Cornelius Auensen, b. 12/7/1842 Modum Buskerud
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  02:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone that reads Norwegian well please go to the Norwegian Digital archives and look at the scanned church books http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_id=1106 page 28, child 19 for the person referenced in the subject line. There is an interesting paragraph following his birth information that we are having problems reading the handwriting. I have tried to find the pages that seem to be referenced but have been unsuccessful. I would be very interested in seeing what anyone thinks it reads as. I don't think that this child's mother ever married and she ended up having other children also as I think I found her in an 1865 census on the Borgen Borgenmoen Farm. We do know that this child and supposedly a brother stowed away on a ship to come to America. It may have been his mother's brother, Even, who was 15 in this census rather than his brother.
Thank you.

Roberta

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  15:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can capture a working URL that you can copy and paste here - allowing those of interested to find the same page with ease.
At the top of the screen when you are looking at the page you wish to capture - you'll see a pull-down option box labelled either "Image Information"[English version] or "Bildeinformasjon" [Norwegian version] - change that default setting to either 'On top' or 'On bottom' [English version] and then you can copy the Permanent pagelink line and paste it in a message like this.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1106&idx_id=1106&uid=ny&idx_side=-32

#19 on page 28 of the Modum baptisms (1841-1850) is a girl, Caroline Marie, her parents appear to be married,
#9 on the left hand page is a boy, Cornelius, parents not married. I see no reference to other pages - exactly what are you trying to decipher?
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  19:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to decipher the long separate paragraph that follows the boy Cornelius.

I'm sorry I guess I wrote down the wrong child number. Thank you for the information on the links. I have found that with the way I had been doing it that often the search information part was lost (not necessarily in this website) and I only confused people. I will print this out for future reference.

Roberta
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  02:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says that the parents of this illegitimate child are girl Anne Olsdatter from Baaentia... (Braateneie?) and bachelor Ouen Corneliussen Jahr.
Next column shows the godparents, then the names of who performed the christening [at home], and finally the name of the person who reported this improper act to the church. It says that it's reported by the childs mother herself.
Link

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/12/2006 11:06:28
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  04:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a reference to page 347 (corrected from 346). On that page there is another child - the death of 4 year old Andreas Auensen. His birth record also indicates he was illigimate - but a completely different mother.

Were both of these children fathered by Auen Corneliusen? Perhaps this deaf-mute Auen Corneliusen from the1865 census? -
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=6&filnamn=f60623&gardpostnr=952&sokefelt=skjul

You'll probably end up doing research on all of the various names mentioned to learn the relationships and researching also in the multi-volume "Modums historie"; 7 volumes by Roar Tank and Arnt Ruud.
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  05:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a Bygdebok ("Modums historie")? Is it something that the LDS center might have? Where might it be available?
Thanks,

Roberta
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  06:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should consider joining this organization for people from your area including Modum:

http://www.fellesraad.com/ringreikedrammen.htm
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  06:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Church records and a history book are available on microfilm from a local Family History Center:

click here
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  15:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the LDS Family History Center will let you order and rent the appropriate microfilms for the Modum church books not yet posted online (and the later ones too if you wish). Many Family History Centers also have equipment that will allow you to copy the pages that you might want to add to your family files. An order of a microfilm allows use of it for about 5 to 6 weeks locally before it either returns to Salt Lake City or requires an 'extension'. The cost of these microfilm orders is quite reasonable (usually $5.50 per film or just a little more).
The Modums histories books are available on microfiche and those usually cost about 15 cents per sheet to order sent to the FHC from Salt Lake City. Microfiche stay at the Family History Center without 'extension'. From the LDS library catalog Jo Anne linked above, we see the entire set of microfiche includes 36 sheets of microfiche - that will be a very economical order! While you wait for the order to arrive make sure you obtain a good Norwegian-English dictionary -- these books are always written in Norwegian.
You'll probably want inquire if they have others in your area also researching in Norway resources. We have 5 or 6 of us(unrelated) that use our little center regularly and we've gathered quite a little collection of films and fiche that are now "permanent" at our FHC. (We've also become pretty good friends.) We've donated a few materials to the FHC shelves for common use, including some good Norwegian maps of our various 'speciality' areas, a "fair" Norwegian-English dictionary, copies of Finn T*****n's books about Scandinavian research and a donated bound copy of John Follesdal's articles now posted at his "Ancestors From Norway" website. We don't live in an area of the US where there is any real history of Norwegian settlement so we feel very lucky to have found each other. We commiserate with each other when the handwriting is atrocious or when the original appears to have been dropped in a fjord once too often - and even those others researching Polish, German, Swiss, Mexican or other areas are often willing to spend a minute to two trying to help each other decipher the illegible.
I'm a BIG fan of the local LDS Family History Center!
Go to Top of Page

Roberta

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  18:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted the same query on rootsweb and the speculation that the deaf mute in the census above may be the father seems to be on the right track. Here is what someone answered me there:

"NB. Faderen Ouen er døvstum, kan skrive sit Navn, og har ved Navns Underskrivt og ??
i Vidnerne Christen Carlsen Jahrs og Cornelius Nilsen Evies Overvær tilstaaet at være
Barnefader - ukonfirmeret, 34 Aar gl. (pag. 356). Fd af 2de Septbt. 1745 er hævet ved Lov af 20de
August 1842."

"NB. The Father, Ouen, is deaf-and-dumb, can write his name, and has by name's signature and ??
in the witnessess, Christen Carlsen Jahr's and Cornelius Nilsen Evie's presence, confessed to be
the child's father - unconfirmed, 34 years old (page 356). Fd(?) of September 2, 1745, has been canceled by law of
August 20, 1842."

"Page 356" probably refers to his birth record in an older parish register.

Thank you all for your help.

Roberta

Edited by - Roberta on 07/12/2006 02:20:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article