All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ena Gilbert born Norway 22 feb 1851
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

twgerber
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  01:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for information on Ena Gilbert. She first appears in Minnesota, Goodhue County when she married George Kelly in Red Wing Minnesota on 3 July 1869. Her marriage announcement says she was from Minneola.

Some census’s list her year of immigration as 1869 (1900 census) others as 1853 (1930 census while living in a nursing home).

Ena and George several children including a daughter named Clara Beryl. Beryl appears to be a family name of some kind.

On Ena Gilbert Kelly’s death certificate it gives her mothers name as Ena (no last name) and father (no first name) Gilbert.

I have not been able to locate any information in Minnesota to help identify her place of origin in Norway. I have tried tracing her descendents to no avail also.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  19:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Ena's name would have been Gilbertsdatter/dotter in Norway most likely. There were only two Ena's in the 1865 census in Norway and they were not her.

In the 1870 census, they are in Florence, Goodhue County, MN, their post office is Red Wing. Name is Kelley. One child, Jesse.

In the 1880 census, they are in Lake, Wabasha, MN, George is a drayman. Blance O. was born in August 1883 so she may have been born in that county. Children, Jess, 10, Clara, 4 and Claude 4 mos.

I recommend you do some Lutheran Church records research. On their wedding certificate it should give the name of the person performing the ceremony, hopefully, it was a Lutheran minister and not a town clerk. Also, you can try to find the children's baptism records which could give more information on Ena's parents and place of birth and you may find other relatives. You have the children's month and year dates of birth from the 1900 census.

The Evangelical Lutheran church has archives with microfilms of old church records that you can rent by mail for a month. I have used this source several times. You can email them with your basic information, if you have a name of a minister, they can tell you what church he was affiliated with and then you can rent the microfilms. They may do a single search for you for a fee but I recommend renting the film, there may be relatives around, they may have been godparents to other children, you don't know what you will find.

http://www.elca.org/archives/

However, George was a Kelly so there is a good chance he was Roman Catholic and maybe Ena converted, so then you would have to research that side.

By the 1900 census, they are in Minneapolis, Ena has had five children, 2 living. Trying to find the death records on the children may yield results and would document your family tree, these sad events are all part of the picture.

There is quite of bit of Goodhue vital records information on microfilm and available for rental at a local Family History Center:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=606469&subject_disp=Minnesota%2C+Goodhue+%2D+Vital+records&columns=*,0,0

Children Clara and Claude are not in the Dalby database and may have died in Wabasha County or Minneapolis.

http://dalbydata.com/user.php?action=cemsearch
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  20:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A note about her last name...

On Ena Gilbert Kelly’s death certificate it gives her parents name:
mother: Ena (no last name)
father: (no first name) Gilbert.

So it's her fathers name who are "Gilbertsen"..., in the 1865 norwegian census, Ena Gilbert Kelly will most likely be registered with a last name consisting of "her fathers first name + datter/dtr".

Btw; Gilbertsen is not a norwegian spelling. Could he be a "Gulbrandsen"?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  02:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There could many different variations of Gilbert, we can only go with the information posted here. There were 4 Gilberts in the 1865 census. Ena could be a nickname or part of her given name, there are many possibilities.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 09/01/2007 02:09:33
Go to Top of Page

twgerber
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  03:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been told that Gilbert could be one of many variations. There was an Ena Marie Gilbert born in Goodhue Co Minnesota in Dec 1869. The year before they had civil registrations. I check all the local Lutheran churches with no luck. She is not on the 1870 or 1880 census either in Minnesota that I can find. She did marry in 1891 in Minneapolis MN. I have her church and civil marriage records as well as all records for her descendents. She also had a daughter named Beryl.

I can't help but think these two Ena's must be related somehow. Maybe the Ena born in 1851 is an Aunt to Ena born 1869?

Regarding Ena and George Kelly. I have tried to trace their descendents with no avail. I have not tried to locate any church records but I should do that next.

The following are notes another researcher who has been helping supplied me:

Ena and George applied for their license on July 3, 1869 and married the same
day. They were married by Edw. Welles, Rector of
Christ Church in Red Wing. Earlier. The two
witnesses were Sever Henison and Martha Henison (the last names as I saw them
written). Ironically, there was another wedding that day. Sivert
Hemmingson/Henningson and Martha Gilbertson. Peder Olsen was their only witness.
Sivert and Martha were married by Rev. Niels Thorbjornsen Ylvisaker (he was a pastor
for 4 congregatons - Lands Luth in Zumbrota; Minneola Lutheran; Hoff in
Belvidere Tsp; and First Norwegian Evangelical in Red Wing). I believe the
Hemmingson and Henison people are the same!

Perhaps Martha and Ena were sisters? I have not traced this Martha yet.

(I've checked the censuses for various spellings and can't
find these Hemmingsons anywhere, unless it's widower Simon Hemmingson, born 1833
in Norway, living in Richmond, St. Croix County, WI with 3 children: Mattea,
age 28, Henry, age 25, William, age 12 (was written 22, then crossed out).
I ran across a Mary Sophia Gulbrensen marrying an Astin Hanson sometime in
the late 1850s. I didn't look up their record, but later I noticed "Osten
Hanson" was the minister who officiated weddings of several
Gilbertsons/Gulbrandsons.
I researched Osten and found the following: His wife "Mary" was born 1845 in Norway and died in Wanamingo Tsp in 1867.
In the 1860 Wanamingo Tsp census, listed below Osten and Mary are "Gulbrin and Martha Gulbrinson,
who I believe are her parents.
They have a daughter, Martha, age 8 (born Norway) and a
son, Louis, age 2 (born Minnesota). I
'm seriously thinking the daughter Martha
(age 8,) is Ena M. GILBERT Kelly. (Maybe she was called "Ena" because she
and her mother had the same name, which wasn't unusual in a Norwegian family; in
fact, sometimes a Norwegian family had more than one child by the same name)
Besides her son Martin (who was a minister), Maria Sophia GULBRENSEN Hanson
had a few more children before she died in 1867: Gunnild (abt 1861), Hans (abt
1863), and Anetta (abt 1866). Osten remarried and had a zillion more
children. Maria Sophia's parents were living with Osten and his new wife in 1870
Wanamingo Tsp (post office: Minneola). I believe her father, Gulbrand, died in
1872 and I THINK her mother was still at the Hanson's in 1880, listed under the
name "Martha Nelson" (Wanamingo tsp). I think she died in 1881.
While checking Dalby's Cemetery Index for the Osten Hanson family buried in
Aspelund Immanuel Cemetery (Wanamingo Tsp), I ran into a Culbrand Frogne and
his wife Martha buried nearby. I think this a typo by Dalby (should be
Gulbrand). I didn't think at first that Frogne was the correct spelling, but on check
ing further, I found several Frogne/Frogner farms in Norway. The birth years
of Gulbrand and Martha's are close to the censuses. So maybe that's a name you
can look into...

Edited by - twgerber on 09/01/2007 04:30:33
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  13:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read that Goodhue County, Minnesota had a large number of Norwegians originally from Stordal, Norway. The book is about three small Norwegian settlements actually in western Minnesota but it included that brief comment about Goodhue County.
Note - it did NOT clarify WHICH Stordal area.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  15:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would probably be the Stjørdal/Hegra area in Nord Trøndelag.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article