All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Oleane Steffensrud- Boston
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chevygirl
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2007 :  09:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi !

Can somebody tell me where or how to find more information about Oleane Steffensrud who left from Norway 09.06.1899 with the ship Angelo. She was going to Boston....

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=23&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=0

Monica Østensen
Monica@innpost.no

torrustad

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2007 :  12:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monica;

Are you searching for info about her roots in Norway or her life in the US?
(where I sit now I can look over to Steffensrud farm...., but I think she came from a cotters fram under Steffensrud?)

I'll try to help you researching, in the US or in Norway.

All kind of info might help, such as name of possible siblings and children (renaming)

regards,

tor
Go to Top of Page

Chevygirl
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  16:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torrustad

Monica;

Are you searching for info about her roots in Norway or her life in the US?
(where I sit now I can look over to Steffensrud farm...., but I think she came from a cotters fram under Steffensrud?)

I'll try to help you researching, in the US or in Norway.

All kind of info might help, such as name of possible siblings and children (renaming)

regards,

tor

Hei Tor!
Lettere å ta det på norsk :-)
Oleane Steffensrud f 1872 er datteren av Ole Anton Johannesen og Marit Olsdatter. Det er riktig som du nevner at hun kommer fra en gård som ligger under Steffensrud, den gården heter Setne. Både far og datter skal ha reist til amerika, men jeg finner kun henne på passasjerlistene. Har lyst til å finne ut litt mer men jeg har søkt på det som er uten resultat dessverre. Har du noen gode forslag?

Med vennlig hilsen

Monica Østensen

Monica Østensen
Monica@innpost.no
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  18:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would help if you posted your reply in English so that the rest of us could read it and possibly also help.

Here is her emigration link:

click here

M.R. Raffel was an agent in Kristiania for the Cunard Line.

The Angelo was just a feeder ship to take emigrants to England or Scotland to get their trans-atlantic ship. There is alot of information on this site about these connections.

Oleane arrived from Liverpool to the Port of Boston on June 24, 1899 on the SS Ultonia. She was listed as 20, servant, $5.00 in money, going to friend H. Berg in Climax, MN. Climax is in Polk County. The Ultonia was a ship of the Cunard Line and there is information here on this ship as well as alot of information and pictures of the Cunard Line.

In the 1900 census in Vineland, Polk County there is a Henry Berg, born July 1874 in Norway as a servant with a Norwegian farm family, he immigrated in 1896. There is an Oleana Olson in Vineland working as a servant with a Norwegian family , born October 1872, immigrated 1899. You have more information on her so you should be able to tell if this is her.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 22/01/2007 19:09:54
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  19:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Henrik H. Broberg from V. Toten leaving from Oslo in 1896, going to Fisher, Minnesota which is in Polk County:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=26&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=117230&merk=117230#ovre

Go to Top of Page

Chevygirl
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  19:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jo Anne!

This is very interesting information, thank you so much! The information about her seems to be right, she was a servant and her ticket was already paid when she left Norway I was told so we believe she went there to live with family/friends.
Is there any place online I can search for more information about her? I would like to find out if she ever got married and had children...

Thank you so much!
Best regards,
Monica

Monica Østensen
Monica@innpost.no
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2007 :  14:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try asking for help here:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnpolk/lookups.htm

Einar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article