All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Desperately seeking Thorvald (Thorwald) Carlson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wattsup07
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2007 :  01:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please help me solve the mystery of my great grandfather Thorvald (Thorwald Carlson). According to records he arrived in New York on April 18, 1891 aboard the Island from Norway. We have my great grandparents engagement and wedding announcements and they list his "hometown" as Rockford, IL. He married Libbie Nelson from Michigan City, Indiana, (her parents were from Sweden), and they had four children: Norman Carlson, Harold Carlson, Elwood Carlson (my grandfather) and Ellen Carlson. Approximate d/o/b for Thor would be 1870 in Norway. We also have the "Dear Jane" letter that he left Libbie around 1906 telling her that he would be gone for some time and hoped the Bond money would help. There is absolutely nothing else ever again about Thor. I do know that he served in the Spanish American War as a musician in the Indiana military branch. Anything you may know or suggestions would be great. I have exhausted pretty much everything that I know how to do or that I may understand. This was a very painful event that trickled down through Thor's children. I wanted so badly to solve the mystery for my father, John Harry Carlson, son of Elwood and Margaret Forrester Carlson, before he died. I wasn't able to. He and I shared our passion for our Norwegian heritage. Thank you.

Kristi

Brining
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
868 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2007 :  05:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi In the 1900 census Thorwald and Libbie are living in Rockford, Winnebago county, Ilinois. He lists his birthdate as November 1866 and that he immigrated in 1888. I think the Thorvald on the ship Island may not be the correct one since there is a Thorvald Carlson living in Chicago that matches the age and is close to the 1891 immigration year.
Carla
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2007 :  20:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi wattsup07, look what I found. Emm. records Christiania/ Oslo 1871-1930, page 154- line 19: Dep Oslo April 3. 1891: It seems to be Thorvald Karlsen ,occupation: Painter, age 21, place of origin : Kr.a.(Kristiania/Oslo. Dest.. Chicago, Shipping Company.: Fr. Lie. Ship: Island.
Go to Top of Page

wattsup07
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2007 :  22:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I have the Censuses with Libbie and Thor in Rockford. I have them both in Michigan City later. Then, of course, she is with the children from about 1920 on.

Where did you find the emm. records with Thor? He was, indeed, a painter, so this could be him.

Also, I forgot to mention that only 3 days after the "Dear Jane" letter was written, another Thor Carlson was born in Rockford. We always wondered if this was just coincidence or if this could have been the reason he left his family with Libbie in Michigan City.

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  00:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I did find him on: http://digitalarkivet.uio.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=70&filnavn=emikra1&gardpostnr=114858#ovre
Many numbers and letters, if this don´t work mail me and I can post it to you.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  00:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link
Go to Top of Page

wattsup07
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  00:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it from the link above. Thank you.

So, where do I go from there? Would I start searching for him via Christiania/ Oslo resources? Also, anyone have any suggestions on how to locate any info on him through the Spanish American War?

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

wattsup07
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  01:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, what about Rockford? The librarian there found me another Census that showed Thor as a boarder and working as a painter in a furniture manufacturing plant. How can I connect the dots to found out what became of him AFTER he left Libbie in 1906? I've found no other Census, death records, anything.

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  01:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the dates of the various census' you are referring to? I looked at the 1900 census and it states Thorwald was a wood carver, born November 1866 and says he has been in the U.S. 16 years which would make it 1884, married 4 years (1896).

Someone on Rootsweb.com has him on a family tree, is this you?

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:3194947&id=I628770293

It sounds like he traveled with his family.

For the Spanish America War, I would recommend you determine what the exact dates are and also go to cyndislist.com, I am sure you will find links there.

Edited by - Jo Anne Sadler on 21/01/2007 01:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  01:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, try Link above and go to: samme omrċde/same area- 1875 census, nr 32319, Thorvald Carlsen born 1869, son of Merchant Anton Karlsen b. 1833 in Askim parish and Nilsine Karlsen (no last name) b. 1833 in Kristiania/Oslo. Do you know his birth day?, it would make a search after him in the church books much easier.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2007 :  01:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thorvald Julius Antonsen
Birth: 10 May 1869, Oslo, Akershus, Norway
Christening: 30 May 1869
Parents: Anton Carlsen & Nielsine Iversen

//Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

wattsup07
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  02:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, this is him. Thanks

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

wattsup07
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  02:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the RootsWeb link (thanks) - that isn't me, but I just got off the phone with the man that posted it. His wife's great-aunt married Norman Carlson (son of Libbie and Thor). It was very interesting talking with him, although, he didn't know much. Thanks so much for that tip:)

This is what we know:

Libbie born 5/1875
Thor ? born 11/1866
They married 8/22/1896 in Michigan City, IN
They move to Rockford, IL and are listed on the 1900 Census
It's not until the 1910 Census that she is listed again, with all four children, in Michigan City.
She says she is married on that one, but any others have her listed as a Widow.

That's it... no more Thor after that.

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2007 :  04:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either Thorwald was born in 1866 and his father was Gustaf or he was born in 1869 and his father was Anton, you have said yes to both of them. You did not answer my question about what census the librarian found him in, was that after 1906?

Since the Rootsweb.com posting said he emigrated with his family I would recommend you try to find out what happened to them, maybe he stayed with them at some time after 1906 or could possibly be buried in the same cemetery, you never know.

Unfortuately, in these situations, a man who abandoned his family did not want to be found and might have changed, at least, his first name.
Go to Top of Page

kurtcarlson
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  08:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad was norman carlson and his dad was norman carlson sounds like the same family tree. I really never heard many family stories. But some of the pieces do fit together. I am just begining to search records as time permits
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article