All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Norwegian matchmaker stayed in Scunthorpe 1903-4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  23:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a Norwegian involved in matchmaking possibly owning a matchmaking company who travelled to Scunthorpe in 1903/4 and who stayed with the Smithson family in Chapel Street.
He fell in love with Hannah Smithson and she became pregnant. He wanted to marry her and take her back to Norway but her mother forbade it. Even when she had had their daughter, Ruby May, he and his mother contacted the family and wanted to bring up Ruby in Norway.
All I know is that his surname began with the letter 'R'.
If there is anyone who may have an idea who my great grandfather might be, I would be very grateful for any information, however tenuous.

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  23:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name of the city contained use of profane language ...

I guess we're talking about Scun thorpe, England, south of Hull?

However, finding a man with unknown firstname, and a lastname beginning with R... well... that will be quite hard!!!

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Norway
528 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2007 :  23:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Yes, the word was blocked by the "bad word" filter, however, it is not supposed to work that way. I have edited it so it can be interpreted by the readers

Webmaster..
Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  21:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, finding a man with unknown firstname, and a lastname beginning with R... well... that will be quite hard!!!

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  22:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jan Peter

Sorry if I messed up the first reply! I'm not used to this site. Thank you for pointing out the profanity in the name of the town - I had not noticed it at all! I realise it is very unlikely I will get any response to my post but there is just a tiny chance that someone may know the story!
Here's hoping!
Karen
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2007 :  22:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked Ruby May's birth record for her fathers name?

Any chance that he could be in any British census?
Some local address book or public directory for Scunthorpe?
How long did he stay in the Uk?
I guess he missed the 1901-census for England and Wales...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2007 :  21:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your interest Jan.
I have looked in the 1901 census at the Smithson residence but he is not there. However thanks for your suggestion - I will look at Scunthorpe to see if there are any residents born in Norway in 1901 at any other address.
There is no father entered on Ruby's birth certificate I'm afraid so no help there.
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  03:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karend

Thanks for your interest Jan.
I have looked in the 1901 census at the Smithson residence but he is not there. However thanks for your suggestion - I will look at Scunthorpe to see if there are any residents born in Norway in 1901 at any other address.
There is no father entered on Ruby's birth certificate I'm afraid so no help there.

What was Ruby May's birthdate?

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA
Ancestry: Kristenhaugen/Haugen/Christiansen, Olson, Knudsdatter/Kindsæth
Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  11:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruby May was born on 22nd August 1905
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  20:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which last name did they give her on the certificate, and do you know whether or not she ended up in the US? I'm trying to think of any possible angle on this search, without any part of his name it's tough.

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA

Edited by - matthewmac66 on 22/02/2007 20:26:06
Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  22:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matthew,
Thanks for your interest! Her surname on her birth certificate is Smithson, the same surname as her mother. There is nothing at all under the entry for her father.
No she never went to the US - I knew her very well and she only died when I was 32.
Obviously there was contact between Hannah and Ruby's father during the time of the birth as letters between them were intercepted by Hannah's Aunt Martha in Sheffield which is where Hannah was sent to have her baby.
It is possible that his parents owned the match factory and he had a completely different job - was he is Scun thorpe to work at the steel works (there was nothing else there at that time!) and how long was he there? My mother thinks she was told that he boarded if not with the Smithsons, then with possibly another family in Chapel Street, Scun thorpe.
So many Norwegians in the 1901 census listed in Lincolnshire had their place of residence as vessels because they came over here on the ships - none are listed in Scun thorpe at all.
Thanks for your suggestions so far!
Go to Top of Page

matthewmac66

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2007 :  23:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karend

Matthew,
Thanks for your interest! Her surname on her birth certificate is Smithson, the same surname as her mother. There is nothing at all under the entry for her father.
No she never went to the US - I knew her very well and she only died when I was 32.
Obviously there was contact between Hannah and Ruby's father during the time of the birth as letters between them were intercepted by Hannah's Aunt Martha in Sheffield which is where Hannah was sent to have her baby.
It is possible that his parents owned the match factory and he had a completely different job - was he is Scun thorpe to work at the steel works (there was nothing else there at that time!) and how long was he there? My mother thinks she was told that he boarded if not with the Smithsons, then with possibly another family in Chapel Street, Scun thorpe.
So many Norwegians in the 1901 census listed in Lincolnshire had their place of residence as vessels because they came over here on the ships - none are listed in Scun thorpe at all.
Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Have you been able to recover any of the letters?

M. McClellan
North Carolina, USA
Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  00:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no - they were obviously destroyed at the time ie. 1905.

Nothing connected with their relationship has ever been seen by myself or my mother.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  09:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to read about early match mfg. in Norway, here is something for you.
http://www.liv.ac.uk/~bdw/matches.html#TMU
This is one of the mfg. places
http://www.nittedalsporten.no/historie/fyrstikkfabrik.htm
This is the owner today - maybe they have some information that you could use
http://www.swedishmatch.com/Eng/FirstPage_fp.asp

Einar
Go to Top of Page

kaare n
Medium member

Norway
114 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  12:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Karen
Maybe a bit in the BIG unsolved puzzle.
I just try to find someone in the census 1900 in Norway that had some connection with the match making as a profession and had a surname starting with R
I found tre

Link http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=etternavn&pgj=54&teljing=ft1900&filnamn=f00301.wc2&amt=3&funnenr=38

One
51313 Fritjof Rundgren m b fl ug Fyrstickarbedare 79 Wexjø Sverige

He lives in Oslo (Kristiania) in the census 1900 not married born in 1879 that’s say he is maybe in the right age? Birth place Wexjø Sweden.

Link
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=19&filnamn=f00301&gardpostnr=2257&personpostnr=51313#nedre

Nr. Two
53995 1 Hans Ruud m b hf g Fyrstikarbeider 69 Baastad

He is married

Link
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=43&filnamn=f00301&gardpostnr=2379&personpostnr=53995&merk=53995#ovre

The third
188740 1 Andreas Rasmuss. m b hf g Sidste arb: Natvagt paa Grønvolds Fyrstikfabr. Nu delvis fattighjelp dels pension 1824 Nittedal n s
He is also married

Link
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=44&filnamn=f00301&gardpostnr=7008&personpostnr=188740&merk=188740#ovre
I have no clue if this is something
Regards Kåre
Go to Top of Page

karend
Starting member

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2007 :  22:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to eibache and kaare n for your help. I have looked on those match manufacturing sites which are very informative but unfortunately, don't give names of owners etc. I am very interested in the gentleman in the 1900 census, Fritjof Rundgren as a possibility. The age would be right. Would you be able to find his parents in an earlier census, say, 1880, to find out what they did for a profession? Is there any way I could find out more about him?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article