All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Harold B Jensen,working on a lake outside Seattle.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harald Brun Jenssen born 1876, emigrated from Norway 1913-17? He went missing from his home.
He probably changed his name.

He was later seen twice outside Seattle, after II WW. His occupation then was working with boattransportation on a lake - doing well.
He had a new family.

We would very much appreciate to hear if someone knows anything, since he is our grandfather and great grandfather.

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he from Drobok or something like that? If he is, I found him arriving in New York on 4 May 1917.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  17:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response.
He comes from South-Trøndelag, midth of Norway, but he might go from Drobak harbour. But I will surely look up the one you found. Did you search for him at any database?

It is difficult, because he might (probably) have changed his name, so I thought that the best chance was if someone from his american famuly might spot this and maybe recognize parts of the story.
I have searched on ancestry and several places, also passenger lists, men I have not been able to get an excact hit.
He might have gone with his brother in law. He was a ship captain.
Any way - he is hardto find, i think.
And we want to find him so much..
I didnt know that you can miss a person you never knew
He was a baker, a farmer and a musician, but he was now into transport by boat, over a lake. Is there many lakes near by Seattle?

Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  17:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually looked at the original record and it says he came from Moss and left a wife there. I'm not sure this is him.

I found another one from Arendal....arriving in New York on 20 Oct 1913. What was his father's name?

I'm searching on the Immigration lists on Ancestry.com.

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 04/09/2007 17:48:10
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  17:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen him too, and I do have him in "a shoebox" for a possibility.
The name of the wife is not the same, but I have looked in the churchbooks for Moss and he is not born there. So I will have to look more for him.

Haralds wife is Gidsken, and the name of his brothers are:

Olaf b. 1874, Bård b 1881,(they both went for a shorter period to USA, so he can have borrowed a passport from one of them),
Einar b 1870, - didn't go, but eldest brother :

Hans b 1866 went to Wisconsin in 1887 - married Marie, and worked in Great Northern Merchandise Dock in Superior, Wisconsin, for about 20 years - he came back here.

I do not know anything about this company, and if they had business in Washington....

Harald disappeared from his home in 1913, but we do not know for sure when he came to USA.
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  17:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His fathers name was Christian Brun Jenssen, and mothers was Beret Hegvik (m.name).
Harald is born 29 aug 1876.
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also know abot the guy from Arendal, also being looked for here in Norway.
Do you know if there are simular forums in other states - like in Washington?

I'm so thrilled to be here I've got hope again!
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  21:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time - only silence.
The two Jensens mentioned on the passanger list - also excists in the churchbooks on their homeplaces, so - its not them. But thanks for helping - I can surely need some help...

His fathers namer was Christian Jenssen, born 8. of jan 1873. A teacher and a churchsinger.

G.grandpa was also a musician- he used to play on the local dances.
He made a new family in the new land, so we are a lot of relatives, only waiting to know of each other..?

Please go to my ancestry page of family trees.
There is the story and the pictures.

How do I connect to local history clubs in Washington state?
Thanks for all yor help!
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  00:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Outside Seattle" is not very specific - but Seattle is located in King County, Washington. Perhaps if you start with a genealogical webpage for that county you'll find listings of local historical and/or genealogical societies/clubs.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~waking/index.htm
such as -- http://www.rootsweb.com/~waking/societie.htm

If he wasn't located in King Co. - from that point you should also be able to find the names of the other nearby counties.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  11:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Elisabeth,
Harald was hard to find.

Harald Brun Jensen was born in Stjørna sokn in Bjugn parish in Sør Trøndelag county August 29. 1876.
Parents: Kirkesanger(Church singer) Kristian Klaudius Brun Jensen and Beret Hansdatter # 41

Bjugn 1865:
He also had an older brother Jens born about 1863, Haralds parents on Volladal.

Haralds father Christian Claudinus (Claudius) Brun was born in Aafjord in Sør Trøndelag jan. 8. 1837, parents: Jens Pedersen Olden and Mette Marie born Brun # 5

Mette Marie Brun, age two, and her parents are listed on farm Tornes in 1801 census for Åfjord, her father was Premier Leytnant in 1. Trondheimske regiment Peder Goische_brun and her mother was Margrete Dorothea born Bie

More information about Peder Goische_brun from the military family Brun click here

Trondheim 1900:
Harald Jensen, Bakermester, his wife Gidsken Sofie and their young daughter in Rosenborg 34 Gade.
Wondering if Magnild Marie was his sister? Click here

The records for Bjugn and Stjørna

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 12/02/2008 16:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  15:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you a lot for for your response. I will look it all up, and try all possibilities.
We know of Harald Jensen and family in Norway until he vanished in 1913.
Later its pretty much like looking for the famous needle in a heystack.
Especially since he probably also changed his name...
I have been looking up those who popped up on the emigration lists from Moss, Drøbak and Arendal, and followed them - none of them are my g.g pa.
It is said that he worked on a lake outside Seattle - with boattransportation - and I've started to also look up what I can find, on net, of local lake history - of the biggest lakes. Fun - more needles...even larger heystacks.
I also use Ancestry.com and look for him in databases there.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  18:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Well, you have a frustrating problem.

How reliable is the report / reporter of him and his whereabouts after WWII?

Have you "done your homework" on all the siblings of Harald both here in America and in Norway to collect their obituaries and find if he is mentioned as surviving or not surviving?

There is a 1923 Seattle city directory online searchable at:

www.distantcousin.com

The Washington State Secretary of State website has death records abstracted and sometime viewable online at:
http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Search.aspx

The Tacoma Public Library has a keyword searchable database particularly for obituaries at:

http://search.tacomapubliclibrary.org/obits/defaultobits.asp

Even if Harald changed his name, he may have kept the same birthdate. Advanced search in the Social Security death index at www.rootsweb.com will allow a search for a particular birthdate without a name. There are 294 in the database with the birthdate of 29 Aug 1876.

You could also just google the same date, using both the European and Yankee fashion, to see what turns up.

If he came to the US in time for the First World War, he may also have been registered for service. Not every man born in the 1870s was required to register but a few did.

If he kind of fell into his abandonment of his family, he may have continued to use his old name in the earlier records. Ancestry has the 1920 & 1930 census searchable.

Good Luck

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  14:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for many new sites to go to.
There might be that he borrowed a passport of one of his brothers, he had several. (brothers)
The report that we have is quite reliable - the one who met him, did know him well, and met him and talked with him twice in US after the second WW.
I do believe that even if you change your name, most people would keep some of the old one, maybe part of fathers name, or like you said at least keep birth date.

And to KÅarto: Magnhild was his sister - born in 1868, married to Lars Willmann, who was a shipcaptain - and there, a possibility for transport overseas. ;-)
Thanks aigain - I really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  19:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a site that has free volunteers who do genealogy research for individuals who do look ups for individuals who are doing genealogy research it is called Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness I have used it before and I have had much success with it there are lots of researchers for washington state I hope that they might be able to assist you in locating the person you are trying to find info on
the site is http://www.raogk.org/

Edited by - jilliankloster on 01/10/2008 19:42:26
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  12:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again!
Where and how can I find out who has been living on a certain adress in Seattle?
Ex: What used to be on 107 Columbia street?

In the search for my ggpa - I found a couple of adresses where friends of my ggpa used to live when they visited USA. I dont think it would lead me to him, but every trace is worth looking up.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  18:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Seattle city directory would be the resource you need. Check to see if the LDS collection has Seattle city directories for the time period you are interested in copied to microfilm which you could order and use at any of their LDS Family History Centers around the world.

You might make contact with a genealogical society or historical society in the Seattle area and perhaps some kind stranger would be willing to check a city directory of the time period.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article