All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Harold B Jensen,working on a lake outside Seattle.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  17:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will try that. Since I'm in Norway I will not have access to microfilms. But as you said, I may get some help through thr local societies.
Go to Top of Page

Elbeth
Starting member

Norway
12 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  19:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there!
Looking for ancestors can be ver frustrating.Feeling kind of blue sometimes.

Can any one of you help me with rules and laws about changing name for immigrants? From 1913.. Articles about namechanging?

And those of you who are used to surf norwegian sites, where can I find records of issuing passports to emmigrants? I've tried Digitalarkivet - andthat is so long a major resource to frustration.
I cant find the police records at all !! I cant find records in where my ggma excists.

I know one thing for fact: I'm so glad there are people gone this slope before, and can give me some guidance...Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  13:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge the police records are not online. I contacted Digitalarkivet about a year ago an was told they will first start to correct the cenususes because of the wrongspellings, the origin including the wrongspellings will be kept, correctings with an explonation will liklely be marked with a hammer to click on.
The next project will the be to get all the probate registers online, will likley take some years, some of this work is based on volunteers.
Regulare emigrants were registered by the Norwegian police, it started Mai 1867, but I have seen passports from 1857 containing the whole hosehold including names and age.

Age, Language, hair colcor, eye color, height, special marks and "Statur" (if the body was thin, normal or broad) was noted for the husband and his singnature. Under the siganture in this passport its writtten;
"Kan ikke skrive" Cannot write.

This passport from Land parish in 1857 costed 64 Shilling.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 12/05/2009 14:11:07
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7789 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2009 :  00:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Today, I read an interesting article published in the Seattle Genealogical Society Bulletin concerning the impending completion of a 9 year project to index a group of records from King County Washington covering years abt1851-abt 1982. Something on the order of a million and a half names are included in this index. There were lots of genealogical details in this company's (or organization's) business records which included items such as "birth, marriage, divorce and death dates, names changes, probates, powers of attorney, property agreements and wills" Perhaps there is something here for you?

They also have a search page in the issue which shows which records they can and will search for a $20 fee. (Their holdings include Seattle city directories, ) which would be a good thing for you to look into if you haven't found anyone to do this search as a charitable act!) If you would like a copy of this form, drop me a line with your email address and I will send you a jpeg of it.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article