All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Olsen and Anne Hans D....?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  19:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Hi, now I see, I must have overlooked him several times, sorry for the confusion. It looks like either 7 or O was overwritten.

Ole Kjøstolfsen, fattig huusmand fra plads Dale, 70-77 Aar, Ole Kjøstolfsen, poor cotter from cotters place Dale, Age 70-77.

This is the right Ole, he was christened in Sauland church on April 3. 1752, right side 2. from top: father Kystol Gunnarsen Øyen, his Godparents were from Krosshuus, Tejen, Brecke, Aamots (Aamotsdal in Seljord?).
The introducion (an old traditional Christening ceremony) of his mother Mari Hansdatter was taken place in a ceremony on her first visit to the church after Oles birth on July 9.

His father Tjøstolf Gunnarsen Skaardal, see Hopkins page 3, born ca 1704, means born about 1704 (same problem), he died 1777 on Skaardal.

Wedding 1736, bottom 1. page: S: (Sunday:) 14. Mai co****ret (married) Tiøstolv gunnarsen og Maria hans Datter in Sauland.

When I wrote co****ret abowe it looks like snow crystals, I have no idea why it can´t be corrected.

Kåre

Wow Wow wow!! You found the wedding!! Wow!! Thank you! Last night as I was going to sleep I saw pages and pages of parish records. Reminded me of the last time I went fishing all day and still the saw the bobber when I closed my eyes to sleep. Thank you for your help.

I suspect you got snow crystals because the c word in English means to, ahem, make babies, and they are keeping the forum child-friendly. As a guess. -Jen
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  20:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kiøstolv Gunnarsens daughter Gunild was baptized May 7 1740, see righthand page fourth recording from the top here
(Before Nov 1739 no baptism records were taken - only the introduction of the wifes after their birth - the wifes names are not recorded either)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/12/2007 20:37:07
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  21:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Kiøstolv Gunnarsens daughter Gunild was baptized May 7 1740, see righthand page fourth recording from the top here
(Before Nov 1739 no baptism records were taken - only the introduction of the wifes after their birth - the wifes names are not recorded either)

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  23:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so that´s why I got all the snow crystals.
To dream of a lure or a big fish is better than to be kept awake dreaming of church books?
Did you know Hjartdal means Deer wallay?

From Hjartdalssoga (Local historian book) B.II.

Tjostolf Gunnarsen was son of Gunnar Tjostolvsen Smedhuuset, mentioned on page 2, also called Gunnar Smedhuuset, born about 1650- he died 1739 and his wife from his 3. wedding Aase/Åse Kjetilsdatter born about 1680.

From Hjartdallsoga,
In 1730 " ....Smedhuset var en Rødningspladz uden gierdis....".Smedhuuset was a clearing place without any fences.
All fences at that time was build of stone taken from the soil when the land was cleared.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  08:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kiøstolv Gundarsens daugter Jøran was baptized Dec 26 1742, see at bottom of right hand page
here

another daughter Joran was baptized July 1 1747, see right hand page halfway down here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/12/2007 09:14:02
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  15:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, so that´s why I got all the snow crystals.
To dream of a lure or a big fish is better than to be kept awake dreaming of church books?
Did you know Hjartdal means Deer wallay?

From Hjartdalssoga (Local historian book) B.II.

Tjostolf Gunnarsen was son of Gunnar Tjostolvsen Smedhuuset, mentioned on page 2, also called Gunnar Smedhuuset, born about 1650- he died 1739 and his wife from his 3. wedding Aase/Åse Kjetilsdatter born about 1680.

From Hjartdallsoga,
In 1730 " ....Smedhuset var en Rødningspladz uden gierdis....".Smedhuuset was a clearing place without any fences.
All fences at that time was build of stone taken from the soil when the land was cleared.

Kåre

Thank you for the information. I did know that Hjartdal meant deer valley. What does Smedhuuset mean?

In answer to your question, I do not like involuntary visions of anything, whether it is lures, big fish or parish records. If I see them it is usually a sign I have been doing something too repetitive for too long. I should learn how to use the digitised parish records.

Is 1650 about as far back as the Hjartdalssoga goes? Did the record-keeping begin with the church? Is there a way to research in the time before parish records were kept? -Jen
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  15:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Kiøstolv Gundarsens daugter Jøran was baptized Dec 26 1742, see at bottom of right hand page
here

another daughter Joran was baptized July 1 1747, see right hand page halfway down here

Thank you for that info. It's fascinating that Gunnarsens and Gundarsens can be the same person. I find the same elasticity in Belgian surnames.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  16:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The idea of "correct spelling" is a modern idea, perhaps even a modern "myth".

If someday an archeologist digs up the mail I receive at my home or the confusion of spellings given to me through the years on even "official documents" - the variety of name spellings on those pieces of paper might astound them. It constantly amazes me too.

I remember a woman who was raising money to have her great-grandparents US gravestones replaced. She wanted the spelling "corrected" - she didn't believe that the older Norwegian style spelling engraved there could be left alone. She insisted her family had ALWAYS spelled it exactly as she knew it today - anything else she considered a big mistake. I still find that terribly sad.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  20:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Hjartalssoga takes you fare back in refering to old Diplomas as for this Diploma written on parchment in 1485 on Skaardal, named Skorvedal, or down in "Brevtekst" line four as Skoruædalle (a modern edition of 1485 languide).

Many of the farms in Hjartdal was cleared in the Viking age, excavations or equipments found when plouging the soil proves that.

This document act about: Tolf Rafnssøn, he announce and certify Torgaut Olafssøn´s ownership of 8 Markebol of land in southern Skorvedal in Sauland parish as Bjørn Haakonssøn had been giving to Torgauts mother Asløg when she lived on Frøland, an because of that Torgeir had recieved 1 Mark gold and full payment for the land.

The connection to the oldest owners is almost impossible to track, some very, very few farms can be lead fare back.

I forgot to note Ingeborg Gregarsdatter Fosses name wisiting Statsarkivet, next time. If she as the rich daughter married the son of a poor tenant farmer, that wasn´t especially populare among her rich parents some 150 years ago, no sir.
I made some notes about Nigard.

Nigard Fosse was a big farm, from about 1810 and one generation later Nigard was split in 5 farms ( inherit), and they changed land, forests and mountain pastures with other farmers without any compensation.

"Hjartdøler", Locals, said the Nigard people changed land as other changed knives.
The knife they was refering to was Tollekniven

Smedhuuset means the Smiths house (page 2)
Bekkhus, Bekk means stream and hus means house.
Øen/Øyen means Island, could be a spit of land or peninsula or surrounded by something, an "island" in the forest, hard to know.
Nigaard, ni means nine and gaard means farm, Nine farms?

The origin for some of the names might have a differant meaning, as for Sauland, Sau means sheep today, but the origin of Sauland means to clear the land by setting the forest on fire, old Svidja, Svidjaland.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 06/12/2007 21:04:47
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  23:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,
Hjartalssoga takes you fare back in refering to old Diplomas as for this Diploma written on parchment in 1485 on Skaardal, named Skorvedal, or down in "Brevtekst" line four as Skoruædalle (a modern edition of 1485 languide).

Many of the farms in Hjartdal was cleared in the Viking age, excavations or equipments found when plouging the soil proves that.

This document act about: Tolf Rafnssøn, he announce and certify Torgaut Olafssøn´s ownership of 8 Markebol of land in southern Skorvedal in Sauland parish as Bjørn Haakonssøn had been giving to Torgauts mother Asløg when she lived on Frøland, an because of that Torgeir had recieved 1 Mark gold and full payment for the land.

The connection to the oldest owners is almost impossible to track, some very, very few farms can be lead fare back.

I forgot to note Ingeborg Gregarsdatter Fosses name wisiting Statsarkivet, next time. If she as the rich daughter married the son of a poor tenant farmer, that wasn´t especially populare among her rich parents some 150 years ago, no sir.
I made some notes about Nigard.

Nigard Fosse was a big farm, from about 1810 and one generation later Nigard was split in 5 farms ( inherit), and they changed land, forests and mountain pastures with other farmers without any compensation.

"Hjartdøler", Locals, said the Nigard people changed land as other changed knives.
The knife they was refering to was Tollekniven

Smedhuuset means the Smiths house (page 2)
Bekkhus, Bekk means stream and hus means house.
Øen/Øyen means Island, could be a spit of land or peninsula or surrounded by something, an "island" in the forest, hard to know.
Nigaard, ni means nine and gaard means farm, Nine farms?

The origin for some of the names might have a differant meaning, as for Sauland, Sau means sheep today, but the origin of Sauland means to clear the land by setting the forest on fire, old Svidja, Svidjaland.

Kåre

Thank you so much. Fascinating information. especially the part about changing land like (those beautiful) everyday knives.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article