All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Olsen and Anne Hans D....?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solum parish was a common name for Skien and Porsgrund towns at the coast of Telemark and were the main emigrant ports for Telemark, Vestfold and Buskerud counties from the earliest emigration started until about 1870.

Kleiva, Kleivane and Kleven means the same, a steep road or track in a hillside and hard to enter with a loaded wagon.
These pages has brought a lot of relatives together, every Norwegian has several cousins in USA, most people don´t know about it.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  16:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Her and Ole´s death record could give a more exact date and perhpas tell us when or where they were born.

Kåre

Kåre
Do you think this might be Ole's parish death record http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?show=88&uid=11392&urnread_imagesize=gigant&hode=nei&ls=1 ? #4 in 1828?

Is there another sort of death record? I am sure there must be but how do I go about getting one (if this is the right guy?)? -Jen
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  20:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't make the link work to the parish death record you're looking at.
Which parish?, what year span of the parish book? what page number?

Another sort of death record -- hmmm.. well there could be a probate record. I have some Telemark probate indexes on LDS microfilm at my local FHC but only for years up to and including 1821 (my personal area of interest at the moment).

Working direct links to the scanned images on the Digitalarkivet can be copied and pasted from the desired page from a display option available. At the top of the scanned image page is an option labeled "Bildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Image Information"[English version] which is by default set to "Ingen" [Norwegian version]/"None" [English version]. Change that and magic is available. Of the three options I like "Øverst" [Norwegian version]/"On top" [English version] because it puts the additional information across the top of the page and is usually easier for me to see.

The first line "Kildeinformasjon:" [Norwegian version]/"Source information" [English version] is a really nice summary of the source of the information and is wonderful to have for making detailed source citations, footnotes, etc.

The second line "Permanent sidelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent pagelink" [English version] is the best line to capture if you want to save the exact URL location or share the actual scanned image and the source information. It allows the full capabilities for zooming in and out to best view the image and informs the recipient of the exact location, book and other details to be able to find WHERE you found the information.

The third line "Permanent bildelenke:" [Norwegian version]/"Permanent imagelink" [English version] is the best used to print a copy of the image or to save a copy of the image in a jpg format computer file. This line does NOT also capture the source information and therefore is NOT the best line to copy to share online when requesting help or assistance in deciphering the image found.
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  20:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

I can't make the link work to the parish death record you're looking at.
Which parish?, what year span of the parish book? what page number?

Source information: Telemark county, Sauland in Hjartdal, Parish register (official) nr. II 1 (1815-1843), Death and burial records 1827-1829, page 102.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7960&idx_id=7960&uid=ny&idx_side=-88

Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  21:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
been outdoor for a loooong walk, stretching my back and clearing my eyes in a cool and fresh winternight.
These are the only death records for Hjartdal, some municipalities has seekable records, it´s a question of how many volunteers a local historian assosiation can "scrutinize"

I am sorry but can´t open the link, tried to do a look up for 1828 but couldn´t find any Ole Tjostolvsen as # 4.
On top of the page you will see some User options and "image information" None, change to On to top and watch three options. If you send the central Permanent pagelink the Source information can be shared with us.

I am sure all of the death records will be found.
Good luck

Kåre

I overlooked your explonation Hopkins, well, an important message can be told several times (a Norwegian saying).

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/12/2007 21:05:32
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  21:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm envious of Kåre's walk. I'm scampering around the house resetting all the clocks, etc. after unexpected power outage.

That might be the right Ole Kj/Tj/whatever. Especially if they weren't careful at all about how many years old he actually was. Happenssometimes.
Forgive me, computer problems - must go away for a little while. Keyboard and/or display problem.... the evil of a power outage can bring havoc.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  22:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just overlooked him, you did most likey find the right Ole.

Ole Tiøstolfsen Dale in Sauland age 77 (born about 1751)
He died as a poor man on plads Dale, plads means a sub farm under a main farm, which.
# 4

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  22:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just overlooked him, you did most likey find the right Ole.

Ole Tiøstolfsen Dale in Sauland age 77 (born about 1751)
He died as a poor man on plads Dale, plads means a sub farm under a main farm, which.
# 4

Kåre

I envy you your nice walk and thanks for finding this.
I am confused why the official record has his age at death listed as 70 and the copy says 77. How is that possible? A well-intentioned priest saw fading ink and tried to darken it but erred? -Jen
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  22:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original copy does have a slight indication that a 7 was written before the 0 was overwritten. Why? We all have our bad days. We can be darn sure that he never figured his parish book page would be posted on the Internet for the whole world to see.
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  22:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

The original copy does have a slight indication that a 7 was written before the 0 was overwritten. Why? We all have our bad days. We can be darn sure that he never figured his parish book page would be posted on the Internet for the whole world to see.

True that!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  23:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I didn´t follow you now, I started to look for a new record when you mentioned O-Zeero, thought maybe I was having a bad day.
O isn´t overwritten, its an old a/A, the first letter in the word Aar,

Aar-gl
gl means gammel /old: Age 77.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/12/2007 23:30:19
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,
I didn´t follow you now, I started to look for a new record when you mentioned O-Zeero, thought maybe I was having a bad day.
O isn´t overwritten, its an old a/A, the first letter in the word Aar,

Aar-gl
gl means gammel /old: Age 77.

Kåre

Now I am confused. :)
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  00:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the 1828 death record

#4 den 5 Juni 14 juni Ole Tiøstolfsen Dale fattigmand ?? plads Dale 77 Aar gl.
#4 June 5 June 14 Ole Tiøstolfsen Dale poor man ?? cotters place Dale Age 77

Perhaps I made it even worse?

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  00:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

From the 1828 death record

#4 den 5 Juni 14 juni Ole Tiøstolfsen Dale fattigmand ?? plads Dale 77 Aar gl.
#4 June 5 June 14 Ole Tiøstolfsen Dale poor man ?? cotters place Dale Age 77

Perhaps I made it even worse?

Kåre

Hm. I thank you for the translation but I don't think that's the 0/7 confusion.
I am curious if you ever looked up the death record I found? The one you had trouble accessing at first but that I reposted after you and Hopkins both gave your advice on how to post links to the archives? The record I posted was from the parish record (official).The one you have here is the parish record (copy). The age Ole died is different from one to the other. On the one I posted he died at age 70; on the one you posted, 77. On the record I posted the 0 in "70" looks like it was once a 7--that is what Hopkins pointed out using the term overwritten. On the record you posted it is clearly a 7.
When you posted about the 0 being an old A, I thought you were saying Ole could have been 7Aar or seven years old and found that confusing.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  08:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, now I see, I must have overlooked him several times, sorry for the confusion. It looks like either 7 or O was overwritten.

Ole Kjøstolfsen, fattig huusmand fra plads Dale, 70-77 Aar, Ole Kjøstolfsen, poor cotter from cotters place Dale, Age 70-77.

This is the right Ole, he was christened in Sauland church on April 3. 1752, right side 2. from top: father Kystol Gunnarsen Øyen, his Godparents were from Krosshuus, Tejen, Brecke, Aamots (Aamotsdal in Seljord?).
The introducion (an old traditional Christening ceremony) of his mother Mari Hansdatter was taken place in a ceremony on her first visit to the church after Oles birth on July 9.

His father Tjøstolf Gunnarsen Skaardal, see Hopkins page 3, born ca 1704, means born about 1704 (same problem), he died 1777 on Skaardal.

Wedding 1736, bottom 1. page: S: (Sunday:) 14. Mai co****ret (married) Tiøstolv gunnarsen og Maria hans Datter in Sauland.

When I wrote co****ret abowe it looks like snow crystals, I have no idea why it can´t be corrected.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/12/2007 11:07:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article