All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Olsen and Anne Hans D....?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2007 :  13:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not so hard, really.
Went to 1801 census on Digitalarkivet website.
Narrow down to Telemark and then Hjartdal (different spelling in 1801 but I've seen that many times before, one branch of my family from Hjartdal.)
Searched for only males. (Lots)
Searched for given name starting with "Ol". (Still plenty but fewer)
Searched for last name starting with "K" (Only a few)
Then looking at those few only one was right age and the spelling jumped off the page and screamed 'look at me, LOOK AT ME'.

Digitalarkivet website databases have some really nice search functions -- starts with, contains, etc. and also allows the use of various helpful wildcards.
(RHD databases also good - entirely different functional strengths.)

Helpful Digitalarkivet "how-to" for your study -
Digitalarkivet tips by John Strom
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  23:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Not so hard, really.
Went to 1801 census on Digitalarkivet website.
Narrow down to Telemark and then Hjartdal (different spelling in 1801 but I've seen that many times before, one branch of my family from Hjartdal.)
Searched for only males. (Lots)
Searched for given name starting with "Ol". (Still plenty but fewer)
Searched for last name starting with "K" (Only a few)
Then looking at those few only one was right age and the spelling jumped off the page and screamed 'look at me, LOOK AT ME'.

Digitalarkivet website databases have some really nice search functions -- starts with, contains, etc. and also allows the use of various helpful wildcards.
(RHD databases also good - entirely different functional strengths.)

Helpful Digitalarkivet "how-to" for your study -
Digitalarkivet tips by John Strom

Seems like the ability to know what is screaming at you is the rabbit out of the hat part.

Is there any chance that the second down on the right here is my Ole Kjostolvsen? http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7951&uid=ny&idx_side=-77 Did the census takers ever get the year of birth wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  23:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure,

but this could be your Ole Kjostolv-/Tjøstolv-/Kystol-/Kiøstowsen (several, likely more dif.spellings on him).
Ø sounds like OE.

His fathers name was Kystol /Kjostolv Gunnarsen Øen (name of the farm he was born on) son Ole.
Then comes the godparents and the record is completed with that the mother Mari Hansdr was introdused on July 9.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/12/2007 00:44:14
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  09:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Kjøstelsen, Bekhus and Maren Johnsdatter Klæven were engaged Dec 9 1781, see here
I would think the farm Bekhus is a short for Bekkjerhus which is a farm in Moland parisk in Fyrresdal, Telemark.
In other words the Ole Kjøstolvsen born in 1752 is not the Ole you are looking for, besides cording to the 1801 census when he was 58 years old he should have been born 1743.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/12/2007 10:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  10:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
some more info from Duverud pointed out abowe.
Born about means the outhor of Hitterdalsboken didn´t find the person but made a calculatin from the death record.

Hans Halvorsen Duverud, he bought Duverud Sept. 18. 1792 for 60 Riksdaler, was born about 1762, died on Duverud and the funeral was on Dec. 29. 1812, he married Ingrid Nilsdr. Melaas born about 1762, her funeral was on August 17. 1807. Hans maried 2. time to Liv Johnsdr Bjørnhaug, a sub farm under Langerud.
Children:
- Halvor born Sept. 28. 1794, he lived in 1814
- Nils born April 2. 1797, he died on Duverud March 26. 1829, married Dec. 26. 1820 to Gunnild Olsdr born Nov. 11. 1792, she died on Duverud Oct. 15. 1873, age 81.
- Anne christened April 6. 1800, married Mai 11. 1824 to John Olsen Duverud, age 28
- Ole born Jan. 3. 1803, he died young
- Gunder christened Mai 11. 1806, he died on Solberg under Tovsrud June 10. 1885, age 79, he married Mai 24. 1831 to Bergit Olsdr, age 25.
- (from Hans Halvorsen´s 2. marriage)- John christened Oct. 28. 1810, he died 1814.

The distribution of Hans Halvorsen´s material property of Feb. 23. 1813 (the probate register) show a netto fortune of 395 Riksdaler.

Their son Nils Hansen Duverud (mentioned abowe) took over the farm.
children:
- Hans born April 16. 1821, he died on Duverud Dec. 6. 1878, he married Aaste Torbjørnsdr. Bergskot
- Margit born Mai. 27. 1824, she married Christen Pedersen Sundstedet under Melaas on Sept. 30. 1847, age 25. They got several children, one son Nils born on Sundestedet feb. 20. 1856 emigrated to USA where de died July 1922.

Nils ans Gunnild´s son Hans mentioned abowe took over Duverud.
Children:
- Gunnild born Sept. 12. 1846, she married Hans Olsen Kantebakke on June 26. 1876, they later settled down on Dragkaasa and Hvaala in Sauherd parish, she died April 15. 1908
- Thone born March 16. 1849, she lived unmarried on Duverud about 1927
- Nils born Jan. 23. 1852, he lived unmarried on Duverud 1927
- Anders born Mai 28. 1857 married Thone Johannesdr Koppervik from Sauland in Hjartdal. Anders bought Løkamoen where he died in 1924.
- Ole born Feb. 28. 1861, married Oct. 4. 1895 to Bergit Leifsdr. Brattebakke under Tovsrud born Nov. 26. 1861. Ole was a leasholder on Øen in 1895.

Kjøstolv Gunnarsen was born on Øen in Hjartdal, but if this is the same farm I cannot confirm, likely not.

Hittedal records if you want to make look ups for your self.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/12/2007 12:17:37
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Ole Kjøstelsen, Bekhus and Maren Johnsdatter Klæven were engaged Dec 9 1781, see here
I would think the farm Bekhus is a short for Bekkjerhus which is a farm in Moland parisk in Fyrresdal, Telemark.
In other words the Ole Kjøstolvsen born in 1752 is not the Ole you are looking for, besides cording to the 1801 census when he was 58 years old he should have been born 1743.

Thanks for your information, but I don't completely follow you. I asked above if census takers sometimes get inaccurate information--I know he should have been born in 1743 according to the census-- but I don't understand how this engagement record proves it is not my Ole. Can you please elaborate? The engagement record looks to me like it is dated 1782 but if it is 1781, is 19 too young to be engaged? Censuses are always right?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Einar,
Bekhus was two dif. farms in Hjartdal, one in Sauland local parish and another one in Nordbygda.
Emigrants from Bekkhus in Sauland

Emigrants from Bekkhus in Nordbygda (two inches up)
Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/12/2007 13:21:56
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  13:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for all of the wonderful information, including that link.

A cousin I found last week told me a story passed down through the generations, namely that the family of Ingeborg Gregarsdtr Fosse (of Nigard Fosse in Heirdal, a selveier) was very upset with her for marrying Ole Johnsen (plass) and that is why the newlyweds fled Norway soon after their marriage. Is there any resource you know of which would tend to prove or disprove that? Something like the Hjartdalssoga?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  14:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, censuses are NOT always right. (Nothing created by man is always right.)
I'm sure that 1742 parish baptismal record IS the correct Ole Kj/Tj/etc. Good find!!

The "Hjartdalsoga" bygdebok volume II, Sauland - lists "Tjøstolv Gunnarson Øyen" born ca. 1704, d. 1774 on Skårdal (farm). Married 1735 with Mari Handsdtr. They had twins in 1736, a son in 1737, a daughter in 1740, two more daughters in 1742 and 1747, Ola in 1752 and a last son in 1755.
The bygdebok says that Ola was later residing on Bekkhus (farm).
Tjøstolv had a brother Erik who also lived on Øyen and the bygdebok lists that their father was Gunnar Smedshuset. (another farm/smith's house in Sauland).
Source: "Hjartdalsoga : gard og ætt", by Gjertrud Kleveland Karlsrud, volume II, page 109.

"Ola Tjøstolvson" shows up in the same bygdebok again on page 274 in a history of one of the Bekkhus farms in Sauland, Hjartdal. He is married to Mari Jonsdatter Kleven -- and one of his married sisters also lives on that farm.

As many different spellings as were used for Ola/Ole family through the years - I'm not surprised that the bygdebok authors appear to have found it difficult to gather much information in an organized fashion. . These Hjartdal bygdeboks have quite a few errors in them -- I've encountered them in researching before.

Edited by - Hopkins on 04/12/2007 15:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  14:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Hjartdalssoga could have that kind of information, I can take a look up for you wisiting Statsarkiwet in the nearby future and report back.

I can´t find any farm Kleven in Hjartdal, I might have overlooked it, but there are several Kleven in Telemark county, among them Kleven in Flatdal local parish in Seljord main parish and municipality (next to Hjartdal).
Hjartdalssoga has most likey the key.
The 1801 cencus you found has Maren Jonsdr born about 1753, but cencus´s from that period has sometimes a lot of mistakes concerning ages.
Her and Ole´s death record could give a more exact date and perhpas tell us when or where they were born.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/12/2007 14:38:53
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...baptismal record IS the correct Ole Kj/Tj/etc. Good find!!

The "Hjartdalsoga" bygdebok volume II, Sauland - lists "Tjøstolv Gunnarson Øyen" born ca. 1704, d. 1774 on Skårdal (farm). Married 1735 with Mari Handsdtr. They had twins in 1736, a son in 1737, a daughter in 1740, two more daughters in 1742 and 1747, Ola in 1752 and a last son in 1755.
The bygdebok says that Ola was later residing on Bekkhus (farm).
Tjøstolv had a brother Erik who also lived on Øyen and the bygdebok lists that their father was Gunnar Smedshuset. (another farm/smith's house in Sauland).
Source: "Hjartdalsoga : gard og ætt", by Gjertrud Kleveland Karlsrud, volume II, page 109.

"Ola Tjøstolvson" shows up in the same bygdebok again on page 274 in a history of one of the Bekkhus farms in Sauland, Hjartdal. He is married to Mari Jonsdatter Kleven -- and one of his married sisters also lives on that farm...

Jumping for joy over here! Thank you.

I was looking for Mari Jonsdtr's birth record when I found Ola/Ole's. Maybe the census taker just reversed their birthdates and I should look for hers in 1743. Would make her an old mother but that isn't impossible.
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Hi,
Hjartdalssoga could have that kind of information, I can take a look up for you wisiting Statsarkiwet in the nearby future and report back.

I can´t find any farm Kleven in Hjartdal, I might have overlooked it, but there are several Kleven in Telemark county, among them Kleven in Flatdal local parish in Seljord main parish and municipality (next to Hjartdal).
Hjartdalssoga has most likey the key.
The 1801 cencus you found has Maren Jonsdr born about 1753, but cencus´s from that period has sometimes a lot of mistakes concerning ages.
Her and Ole´s death record could give a more exact date and perhpas tell us when or where they were born.

Kåre

Thank you for offering to look. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.
I will start looking for death records.
Jen
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A slightly interesting side note -- Tjøstolv Gunnarson Øyen's brother, Erik Gunnarson married the sister to my own 5th great grandfather. (I have no known direct family tie otherwise. Should we say "yet"?)
Go to Top of Page

JenJohnson
Starting member

Belgium
28 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A slightly interesting side note -- Tjøstolv Gunnarson Øyen's brother, Erik Gunnarson married the sister to my own 5th great grandfather. (I have no known direct family tie otherwise. Should we say "yet"?)

Really? It *is* a small world after all.

Makes me appreciate Norwegian record-taking all the more. I can't find squat on the Russian/ Polish jewish side of my family after 1866 (well, okay, for obvious reasons) and here we are scrolling back almost two centuries further and having such a wealth of info we can find links like this. Pretty amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is amazing. The records of Norway are amazing. True - spelling was completely hapzard and unimportant - but so what! The records exist! You and I can learn to cope with spelling variations. We might grumble - but SMILE while we grumble.

I don't find any farm in Hjartdal like Kleven either. I checked one small sub-farm they called "Kleiva or Kleivane" but didn't see much. There was one brief mention of someone there who had a birth tie to what they termed "Kleven i Solum". It might be meaningless - or it might be a clue.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article