All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Olsen Family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Don L

New Zealand
33 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  11:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys - this information is more than I ever imagined.

Is there any register of passengers ex Norway bound for NZ that are searchable ?as this was the initial basis of my webchat search.

Olava appears to have arrived in New Zealand about 1880 (she would have been aged 20) and she married Frans Wilhelm Anderson (known in NZ as William Francis Anderson) in 1884 at Wellington NZ.
I have found an arrival in Wellington in 1884 for a Lena Olsen, which as has been suggested may have been Olava's sister, arriving for her wedding.
While there are a number of shipping data bases for immigrants arriving, I have been unable to track down her arrival - so a departure date and ship's passengers lists ex Norway might be a better source.

I now have to look and find the arrival of Olava's husband, an emigrant from Sweden.
Once again - thanks for all the very valuable information so far provided.

Don Lindale
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  14:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigration records from Norway are organized by port of departure rather than intended destination. An overwhelming majority of those records surviving have been made available in database form at the Digitalarkivet website.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html
Go to Top of Page

Don L

New Zealand
33 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2013 :  09:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input.
Since my initial postings I have discovered that Fredericke Olava OLSEN was sponsored to NZ by her sister Caroline's husband Carl Lamberg. She arrved in Wellington on 7th May 1874 on board the ss Arethusa, of the 375 passengers she was alone as a non English speaker. Apart fro mer sister Inger Marie, all be othe siblings also emigrated to New zealand, These were Cariline, Karen Kristina and Hans Jacob.
There parents were Bertha Maria Jacobsdatter and Ole Christiansen. After the deat of her huband Bertha remarried and had two further children. As far as I can ascertain they stayed in Oslo,
I had pleasure of visiting Oslo in May this year which my wife and I thorughy enjoyed even managing rohave a guided tour aroundtge old Aker Church by ne of the pastors.
WE have nothing like this in NZ as our oldest churchs only date from about 1840 = 700 years after the completion of your magnificently preserved and maintained church.
We also visited Gothnburgh where Olava's husband was born. Both cities were emotional experience we will never forget.
Cheers

Don L

Thanks for your searchin.

Don Lindale
Go to Top of Page

Don L

New Zealand
33 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  03:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the many many typing errors. This was completed using my tabley from my sick bed.

Don L

Don Lindale
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article